Pump motor wiring.

Mike1162

Silver Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
N Tonawanda, NY
What type of plug & outlet should be used for a pump motor?
I believe the original motor was 1 hp but I'm currently using a 3/4 hp. I'm pretty certain the pool builder used an L5-30P plug. It's a 3 prong that you twist to lock in place, rated for 120V & 30 amps. The original plug & outlet show signs of over heating & need to be replaced. I just returned from Home Depot & Lowes & can't find this style plug in a pig tail.

Can I just use a "normal" style 20 amp cord & outlet or do they need to lock in place?

I'm pretty certain the pool builder used an L5-30P plug. It's a 3 prong that you twist to lock in place, rated for 120V & 30 amps. The original plug & outlet show signs of over heating & need to be replaced.

That is what NEC requries. Good for your PB to follow code.

Can I just use a "normal" style 20 amp cord & outlet or do they need to lock in place?

I would not put a 20 amp cord on a 30 amp breaker for one.

I think this is the cord you need 3' Pump Cord Twist Lock 115V Ww741Cggz37L
or Hayward SPX1550WA1 3 Foot Twist Lock Power Cord for Pump / Filter
or Hayward Twist Lock Pump Power Cord 3' - SPX1550WA1 - INYOPools.com

Post a pic of the data plate of your motor and pic of your current cord.

Last edited:
The circuit breaker is 20 amp GFI. IIRC correctly 12 gauge wiring was used.
Could the 30 amp have been used just for the locking feature?
Maybe I'm wrong about it being 30 amps. Is there a 20 amp that twists to lock?
I'll go get some pics.

You can use a plug rated for 30 amps with 20 amp breaker and wiring. The locking plug is 30A. Not sure if they have a 20A version.

Local pool store had the plug I needed. $50.32 with sales tax.
Home depot had the outlet. $14.10 with tax.
The receptacle is a Nema L5-20R
The plug style is Nema L5-20P
The Hayward number is SPX1550WA1.
They're also available with the standard 120 volt plug (SPX1250WA) if the wiring & circuit breaker are 15 amp.

The following link has pictures of both. Hope this helps someone in the future.
Amazon.com: Hayward spx1550wa1

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.