Nazareth/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
I have an old Hayward Superpump. The original motor is long gone It had been replaced many years ago with a Emerson motor. The plate on it reads as follows:
Emerson EB796
Model K63CXEPZ-4767
1.5 HP SF 1.3 3450 rpm
208-230/115 Volts 60 Hz
amps = 3.7-7.8/15.6 1Ph
MFG # ML06C Frame 56J
1.5 SF

The impeller in my pump housing is a SP2610-C

Is this motor the correct rated motor for the pump assy? if not, what motor would be correct?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Last edited:
I have an old Hayward Superpump. The original motor is long gone It had been replaced many years ago with a Emerson motor. The plate on it reads as follows:
Emerson EB796
Model K63CXEPZ-4767
1.5 HP SF 1.3 3450 rpm
208-230/115 Volts 60 Hz
amps = 3.7-7.8/15.6 1Ph
MFG # ML06C Frame 56J
1.5 SF

The impeller in my pump housing is a SP2610-C

Is this motor the correct rated motor for the pump assy? if not, what motor would be correct?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Hayward lists that as a 1hp-full rate/1.5hp uprate impeller. That means that the original motor that came on that pump was the one pictured
hayward-spx1607z1m-label.jpeg

The AOSmith/Century number is UST1102. It doesn't hurt (except your wallet) to use the larger horsepower motor (UST1152).
If you are not going to replace the whole pump, the best would be to get a variable-speed motor like the Century V-Green EVC165.

The Emerson on it now is still good. I just replaced the shaft seal on it this morning and took notice of the model number of it. I was just wondering if it indeed was the correct motor for that pump/impeller.

The Emerson on it now is still good. I just replaced the shaft seal on it this morning and took notice of the model number of it. I was just wondering if it indeed was the correct motor for that pump/impeller.
There is no problem using that motor/impeller combo except for the amount of energy it consumes. The original motor that came with that impeller had a THP of 1.1. The THP for the motor you have is 2.25. The impeller will only load the motor to the 1.1 THP so it is basically over powered, but it won't hurt anything and will use only about 60% of the rated amp load (9.0). Still, that is about 1.3kw per hour. Multiply that by your energy rate and it probably is costing about $.23/hour.
That will also mean the motor, generally, will last longer unless damaged by an outside source.

Just a little technical update.... I measured the current and running voltage today. 6.38 amps at 246 VAC. That is 1.57kW. At my present electricity rate /kwh + distribution charges, that comes out to $.235/hour to run the pump. Dang @1poolman1 , you were dead on! I run it 24/7 when opening the pool for a week until the chemistry is stable. After that during the season, it runs about 7 hours a day. So that is $1.65/day in electricity. Running a variable speed 24 hours a day would sure help to keep the surface of the water much cleaner, but would that save me any money? Running a VSP 24/7 vs running my present config 7 hours a day? I am northeast PA so the season is May- late September.
oh.... Can a VSP pump/controller run at 246VAC? That is about 7% over the 230VAC spec.

There is no problem using that motor/impeller combo except for the amount of energy it consumes. The original motor that came with that impeller had a THP of 1.1. The THP for the motor you have is 2.25. The impeller will only load the motor to the 1.1 THP so it is basically over powered, but it won't hurt anything and will use only about 60% of the rated amp load (9.0). Still, that is about 1.3kw per hour. Multiply that by your energy rate and it probably is costing about $.23/hour.
That will also mean the motor, generally, will last longer unless damaged by an outside source.
So if he was using a variable speed pump, with the higher HP motor, would it be better to a) get the bigger impeller but lower the rpm’s to some fraction of full rpm, or b) use his current impeller and use the pump at 100% some of the day then a lower rpm rest of the day? When I say better I guess I mean cheaper. You mentioned the smaller impeller is better for the life of the motor.

So if he was using a variable speed pump, with the higher HP motor, would it be better to a) get the bigger impeller but lower the rpm’s to some fraction of full rpm, or b) use his current impeller and use the pump at 100% some of the day then a lower rpm rest of the day? When I say better I guess I mean cheaper. You mentioned the smaller impeller is better for the life of the motor.
Its a generalization, less load usually means longer life, but motors are weird. If you match the motor and impeller the motor is designed to handle the load and will work happily for a long time.
Larger thp VSP motor with an impeller to match at lower rpm will move the same amount of water as a smaller thp VSP motor and impeller combo at a higher rpm. That's where the energy savings comes in. In the long run it is always best to to get a higher horsepower pump and run it slower for best water quality, less, and ease of, filter cleanings, energy savings.

Reactions: kevreh
Its a generalization, less load usually means longer life, but motors are weird. If you match the motor and impeller the motor is designed to handle the load and will work happily for a long time.
Larger thp VSP motor with an impeller to match at lower rpm will move the same amount of water as a smaller thp VSP motor and impeller combo at a higher rpm. That's where the energy savings comes in. In the long run it is always best to to get a higher horsepower pump and run it slower for best water quality, less, and ease of, filter cleanings, energy savings.
Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.