Pump motor leaking - new motor/shaft seal

Schuck

Mar 2, 2022
Georgia
I replaced my old single speed motor with a variable speed motor (V-Green 2.7 HP Round Flange 56J Variable Speed Motor) last September, including the replacement of the shaft seal, diffuser gasket, housing gasket, and pump lid o-ring. Noticed I now have a small leak that has developed since early April. Based on where (I think) the water is coming from, I think it may just be the housing gasket and not the shaft seal; I can't imagine why/how the shaft seal would go bad already? I don't close my pool (live in GA) and water quality/chem levels is always solid for the temp of my pool. Is there any easy way to tell? I know it's relatively inexpensive to go head and replace it all - it just irritates me that I have a leak! Any guidance would be appreciated!

Hayward Super Pump SP1600. No cracks that I can see. Don't have a picture handy right now but the drip appears to be b/t the housing and motor and not migrating from somewhere else as best I can tell. I a shaft seal go bad before a few years ago with my old motor and that was dripping in a different location. Motor sounds fine/normal.

Hayward Super Pump SP1600. No cracks that I can see. Don't have a picture handy right now but the drip appears to be b/t the housing and motor and not migrating from somewhere else as best I can tell. I a shaft seal go bad before a few years ago with my old motor and that was dripping in a different location. Motor sounds fine/normal.
Between motor and sealplate is a seal leak. Could be a bad sealplate, but that is rare.

Thanks - it's raining now so can't verify the leak location, but it's probably just easiest/no brainer to just order GOKIT3 for $30 and just replace the gaskets/shaft seal all in one go anyway, right? Now that I think about it, including a new shaft seal isn't much more time than replacing just the gasket. I think I got caught up in the principle of it all, lol...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.