Pump motor died

tmcc

May 20, 2018
florida
Based on my basic trouble shooting, my pump motor died. I can see it was an AO smith but I am pretty new to this. I never use the pool, just want to make sure it is operating as it should. Also had a lot of rain here and need to have the skimmer and main drain operating.....

My pool cleaner wants a laugable amount of money to do the install ($495).

Can someone please recommend me a replacement motor for my pump? The pump is pretty old. Id prefer to keep the pump and replace the motor. Thank you

pool pump motor.jpg

Follow up.. so I received the pump. I am having difficulty removing this fitting in order to drop in the new motor.

I have removed all of the screws but the top bracket is really on there. I'm not sure how to remove it. Even the bottom part where the clip attaches to the upper assembly is very hard to remove. I am afraid I am going to break it. Anyone please?

Do I need to buy something else? This is my mistake originally. I thought this top piece stayed on the rest of the pump and didn't show enough details in the orig pic.

Also there is a tropical storm here and my pool is at the very top... sadly timing is sensitive. Typical! :(

Attachments

• oh god now what.jpg
    oh god now what.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 57
Thanks for the feedback. I got the pump installed. It really wasn't that bad. If I ever have to do it again, it'll take me 30m not 2 hours.

Unfortunately, pump wont prime. I left it on for like 20m... pressure is only reading 10psi with a new filter. Going to buy a hose bladder tomorrow..... I am thinking the old motor died because it was running dry 8 hours a day and I didn't know it.

Any suggestions or am I on the right track? Thanks again

(when its time for a pool renovation, I'll repump and pipe. Just want to keep it functional for now)

Stick a hose into the line at the skimmer and push water to the pump.

Most pool pumps will prime pretty easily. How far above the level of the pool is the pump?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unfortunately, pump wont prime. I left it on for like 20m... pressure is only reading 10psi with a new filter. Going to buy a hose bladder tomorrow..... I am thinking the old motor died because it was running dry 8 hours a day and I didn't know it.

You state that pump will not prime, but your pressure is 10 psi. Sounds to me like you are moving water, maybe just slowly. With the pump running place something small near the skimmer port to see if it gets sucked in (You can use tweezers and a small piece of anything) and see if it disappears and shows up in the basket. Even a leaf will work. My pressure at once was 10 psi, but without a heater. Once we added heater and SWG, it went up to 20 PSI, at least doubled.

Please add some pictures and describe the pool plumbing, lengths, etc. in detail. More detail, better we are to assist you.

You state that pump will not prime, but your pressure is 10 psi. Sounds to me like you are moving water, maybe just slowly. With the pump running place something small near the skimmer port to see if it gets sucked in (You can use tweezers and a small piece of anything) and see if it disappears and shows up in the basket. Even a leaf will work. My pressure at once was 10 psi, but without a heater. Once we added heater and SWG, it went up to 20 PSI, at least doubled.

Please add some pictures and describe the pool plumbing, lengths, etc. in detail. More detail, better we are to assist you.

I got it primed . A substantial clump of leaves was in the skimmer line. I fed a hose in the skimmer with the pump on and rotated the suction lines as it was running.. did the trick. Pressure in the filter is still reading 10 PSI or so but the jets are working well. Possible that the read is bad..... the equipment is 15-30y old. I really don't know TBH but I am at least back to par and was able to drain 4 inches of water from the pool. We are getting very heavy rains and I hardly want pool overflow sinking my pavers.

If anyone cares re: play by play in trouble shooting low pressure...

* New gaskets for all pump system widgets
* Wet vacced the suction lines
* Wet vacced the pump side
* Removed and cleaned the impeller side of the newly installed motor
* Carefully tested the visible piping for non-audible air leaks

None of this yielded the low pressure source.

Then after fidgeting with the filter cartridge container while cycling the pump, i tapped the pressure gauge. When its off, the gauge doesn't reset to 0 properly without a few good taps. When its on, it never fully adjusts to actual pressure without a few good taps.

Then I used an exit valve pressure tester with an adapter on my drain port. 20 PSI on the nose.

The "tap test" on the filter pressure gauge a few times also reads 20 PSI.

Sooooo.... after several hours of vacuuming, wrenching, fidgeting and mosquito bites, I have determined the filter gauge is bad.

For any onlookers, make sure you start with easy diagnostics before moving on to hard diagnostics. Just lol. Learning a lot, thanks all.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.