marinejohn

Jul 21, 2022
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, here we go. I have an above ground pool with a sand filter and 1/2 hp pump. Nothing huge. My pool is 18'x48". The pump worked fine and I backwash on a regular basis and lately at least once a week bc we've had trouble keeping the pool clean. Algae forms quickly. The pool is near trees. All that being said My wife was vacuuming the pool and the skimmer basket had a sock on it and it clogged very quickly, and sucked the basket down a bit. It was hard to get out. The sock wasn't ripped or missing so I know it didn't get stuck in the impellers of the pump. I took the hoses off to check the pump and it is free and rotating fine. Ever since that has happened the flow rate is low. The pressure guage is around 2-3 psi. It's still discharging just at a very low rate. The hose between the skimmer basket and pump is clear of blockage. I'm at a loss of what the problem could be. There are no leaks on the two connections between the pump and skimmer. There is no basket on the pump itself, just the skimmer basket.

Last edited:
Ok, here we go. I have an above ground pool with a sand filter and 1/2 hp pump. Nothing huge. My pool is 18'x48". The pump worked fine and I backwash on a regular basis and lately at least once a week bc we've had trouble keeping the pool clean. Algae forms quickly. The pool is near trees. All that being said My wife was vacuuming the pool and the skimmer basket had a sock on it and it clogged very quickly, and sucked the basket down a bit. It was hard to get out. The sock wasn't ripped or missing so I know it didn't get stuck in the impellers of the pump. I took the hoses off to check the pump and it is free and rotating fine. Ever since that has happened the flow rate is low. The pressure guage is around 2-3 psi. It's still discharging just at a very low rate. The hose between the skimmer basket and pump is clear of blockage. I'm at a loss of what the problem could be. There are no leaks on the two connections between the pump and skimmer. There is no basket on the pump itself, just the skimmer basket.
Sounds like a clogged impeller. Easy to do with no pump basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.