lmartins6746

Jun 6, 2018
Simpsonville, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a new pump on backorder, but to get through this season I ordered a new motor for my failed Superpump. I replaced the motor today but I have seem to have done something wrong as it pours out water from the bottom when I fill the pump basket. It appears to be coming out where the motor meets the motor housing.

I took it apart again and I attempted to tighten the motor housing bolts some more as I remember they were tough to take off. I also flipped the shaft seal as I had it in backwards. Same result though.

I replaced all of the seals except the shaft seal as the new one wouldn't fit.

It did not leak before replacing the motor and I had even take the old motor off once and it didn't leak when I reattached.

Clearly I either put it back together wrong or bought the wrong motor. I don't see any seals laying around and everything looked right to my untrained eye.

Any thoughts as to where I should focus my troubleshooting?

Attachments

• 20220710_183240.jpg
    20220710_183240.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220713_213152.jpg
    20220713_213152.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 8
Need a picture of the seal area without the impeller.

Did you replace the body gasket? Looks like a rubber band and will slip out of place as the pump is assembled at times. Generally can't reuse the old one.

The motor itself can't cause a leak.

ok so I took a picture of where it was leaking. I took it apart again and saw the problem (I hope). I was missing a piece on the backside of the impeller so it wasn't mating correctly (see pic before i added the missing piece).

Water was getting past the seal plate. See picture.

So before I reattach this and try again do I need to unmount the motor to get water out or generally dry this thing out since water went where it wasn't supposed to?

And yes I did replace the body gasket.

Attachments

• 20220714_090410.jpg
    20220714_090410.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220714_090910.jpg
    20220714_090910.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220714_091032.jpg
    20220714_091032.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 14
ok so I took a picture of where it was leaking. I took it apart again and saw the problem (I hope). I was missing a piece on the backside of the impeller so it wasn't mating correctly (see pic before i added the missing piece).

Water was getting past the seal plate. See picture.

So before I reattach this and try again do I need to unmount the motor to get water out or generally dry this thing out since water went where it wasn't supposed to?

And yes I did replace the body gasket.
From the picture it looks like there is something not right with the seal. There shouldn't be what looks like rust on the bellows portion, the part on the impeller.
Motor will dry on its own.

Last edited:
I went ahead and put it back together and no leaks when I filled the basket and no leaks when I turned it on (after I used some teflon tape on the basket drain plug). Quiet operation so I think I'm good until new the pump arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.