Pump humming, no flow, then shuts off.

kylepoolstylin

In The Industry
Apr 25, 2024
CT
Pool industry rookie. Opening a pool and the pump is not working. Tried to attach a video but can’t from my phone and picture files are too large. Hums with no visible flow or pressure then shuts off after about 10 seconds. Any thoughts or suggestions? Based on a forum I was reading last night on TFP - maybe start capacitor? I’m sure the boss will be able to fix but just wanted to ask here out of curiosity/to learn/join the conversation. Thanks. I’ll keep the thread updated on the progress if anyone’s interested. Sorry for no media, I’ll try to figure that out next time.

Welcome to TFP.

Load your videos to YouTube, mark it Public, and post a link to it.

Pool industry rookie. Opening a pool and the pump is not working. Tried to attach a video but can’t from my phone and picture files are too large. Hums with no visible flow or pressure then shuts off after about 10 seconds. Any thoughts or suggestions? Based on a forum I was reading last night on TFP - maybe start capacitor? I’m sure the boss will be able to fix but just wanted to ask here out of curiosity/to learn/join the conversation. Thanks. I’ll keep the thread updated on the progress if anyone’s interested. Sorry for no media, I’ll try to figure that out next time.

With the power off, remove the rear cover (1/4" nut driver, 1 screw in the center), try to turn the motor with, likely, a 9/16" wrench. If it won't turn it is not a capacitor. Be sure to replace the cover.

I didn’t get a chance to look at the pump again myself. The boss went today and got it going. Told/showed me that the shaft had simply seized over the winter from rust or corrosion. He used a pair of needle nose to twist the impeller from inside to break and turn it, and got the pump to run.