Pump, filter, plumbing / identifying knobs/valves

bxkn

Dec 27, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Hi, new pool owner here... Along with my pool, I have inherited a system of pipes, knobs, and valves that I don't understand in the least! I would love to learn how all of these things work so I can competently care for my pool, but I could really use some help getting started.

I've attached some photos in the hopes that someone might be able to help me identify the parts of the system I've circled. Once I at least know what everything is, hopefully then I can make better sense of some of the tutorials.

Light blue-
Green-
Yellow-
Red-
Orange-
Pink-
Dark blue-
Purple-

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• 1-overview.jpeg
    1-overview.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 2-filter.jpeg
    2-filter.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 3-plumbing.jpeg
    3-plumbing.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 4-pump.jpeg
    4-pump.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 39
Actually things do appear to be pretty well labeled.

The small valve at the top of the filter (purple) is for venting air out of the filter. You will want to open that from time to time and leave it open until you get a steady stream of water and no air.
The valves in the third picture all are directing the return water, and the associated pipes do seem to be labeled (but I'm not entirely sure what all the labels mean). The two larger ones (light blue and red) are 2-way valves, they shut off the pipe opposite the handle. So both are currently set to pass water on to the right rather than down. If you move the handle so that it points to the left one either one of these it will direct the water to the associated outlet. The Yellow and Green are simple on/off valves, the green one is currently off, the yellow one on. Note that they will to get any water if the lt-blue valve is set to feed water to the "Therapies" (jets?). The object on the far left the control valve for an in-floor cleaning system (an array of return jets on the floor of the pool intended to help keep it clean). The handle you have marked with orange is the screw on the clamp that holds that valve together. Similar the purple handle in the last picture is a clamp that holds the pump together.

bx,

I am pretty sure that large black thing is an alien spaceship from one of the 1940's Flash Gordon movies... :mrgreen:

Light blue- This is a valve that turns your "therapy Jets on and off.. Currently off in the pic.
Green- This ball valve controls an aerator and is currently off..
Yellow- This ball valve controls your Del-Clor.. I have no idea what this is, but assume a water feature of some type. Currently on.
Red- This valve controls the water jet going to your Quick Skimmer.. Unlike normal skimmers, yours requires additional water to work. (If you believe in magic..)
Orange- This is nothing more than a band clamp that holds the top of your In Floor Cleaning System onto the bottom. This is not an adjustment,
Pink- This is an air release valve. This allows you to remove any trapped air from the filter.
Dark blue- This a a "Push Pull Backwash valve. In the up-position water flows through the large sand filter and back to the pool. In the down position, water flows into the filter and out the above-ground pipe leading out the rocks.
Purple- This is a band clamp that holds your pump together. This is not an adjustment.

My suggestion is that you gut this antique and move into this Century.. :poke:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the replies!

Regarding this suggestion...
> My suggestion is that you gut this antique and move into this Century..

...I'm not opposed, but can anyone recommend someone in the Phoenix area who can help replace equipment?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.