Jan 20, 2022
Rancho Viejo, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello TFP Fam,

Long time listener, first time caller. With the advice and education from the intrepid folks on this fine forum my wife and I have successfully completed our first year of pool ownership! We have battled and overcome some pretty bad pool chemistry, chased a lot of leaks (fixed some!), and have learned to enjoy our pool maintenance and minor repairs. Unfortunately, our DE filter has begun leaking from the bottom half of the tank itself and now I am trying to figure out the best path forward. Honestly, I am a little bummed since we replaced the ripped up filter inserts just a few months ago and the prices I am seeing for the bottom tank half are close to that of a whole new filter! Trying to make lemonade here and figure it might be time to perform some upgrades that my wife and I have been dreaming of. Specifically wondering the following:

1) From what I gather, attempting to epoxy/reseal a filter leak is ill advised due to it being a pressure vessel. What is the TFP party line on this matter?
2) Does anyone know a good way to source just the bottom of a Crystal Water PN 5700048 DE filter?
3) Should I just bite the bullet and upgrade my aging pump, filter, and associated plumbing? Been thinking about a variable pump, cartridge filter (Backwashing is sort of a pain and I have a hard time getting all the media out), and maybe even a heat pump for the spa!

I have a pool company coming out on Saturday to look at some unrelated issues. Figured I would get opinions here before talking to someone who wants to take my money.

Thanks!

Hey SS and belated Welcome !!

1) the party line is 'run'. You don't want to be near it when it blows.

2) hang tight for thoughts. Cast a wide net with calls and emails and browsing.

3) If you needed an excuse, now's the time. Equipment supply is still terrible and prices are through the roof right now, but then again we thought this year would be much better, last year. A bird in the hand is better than a foot in the tush.

Reactions: sugarsplash
Okay, rather than languish waiting for quotes I think I am going to attempt to replace the pump, filter, and backwash valve. I am fairly handy, up for the challenge.

So I want a variable speed pump with some sort of integrated controller so I can get rid of my ratty old timer.

I also want a better filter experience. My DE filter with cellulose filters the water sooo amazingly. But the media gets gross fast and backwashing has been ineffective and I have to break down the filter and hose it out about every 2 months or the pressure shoots up. I would sacrifice some filtering performance for something that I could just backwash and maybe clean yearly. I use cellulose because shooting DE all over my garden seems bad for all the bugs and critters.

Another source of frustration is my backwash valve. It is almost impossible to open/close when there is pressure and it leaks air unless I coax it just right. Would a multiport valve offer some easier operation?

I am looking for advice matching a variable speed pump and filter to my 25k gal pool and picking out a backwash/multiport valve that doesnt feel like I am trying to pull a sword from a stone.

S,

I suggest that you go with a large cartridge filter. No messing with DE, dirt simple plumbing, no backwash valve to leak or go bad, and low back pressure. Works well with a VS pump..

I will never, ever own a DE filter again. :puker:

The larger the filter the less you have to clean it. I could go a whole year between cleaning, but my OCD makes me do it twice a year.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

I suggest that you go with a large cartridge filter. No messing with DE, dirt simple plumbing, no backwash valve to leak or go bad, and low back pressure. Works well with a VS pump..

I will never, ever own a DE filter again. :puker:

The larger the filter the less you have to clean it. I could go a whole year between cleaning, but my OCD makes me do it twice a year.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Lol it’s my just me with filters :) I take mine apart to check since my pressure stays at 4 psi and then I have to at least wash them off.

I second a cartridge filter, get as big of one as you can afford and have room for.

I am not an automation guy with pools but with my tristar pump I can program it to come on and off when I want and at what speed so you can toss the old timer :)
Just throwing Ideas out there.

Best part, no part. Love the catridge filter idea, I did not realize this eliminates the backwash. I will take some measurements and see how fat of a filter I can hide in my pump area.
Most filters are about the same diameter as what you have now. The difference in capacity is the height of the tank and the media (cartridges, grids) inside. Only sand filters get larger in diameter as the size increases.

If you are looking for a great deal on a pump look no further.. It only has internal automation, how long to run and speed..
CaliMar Variable Speed Pool Pump | 3HP | CMARVSP3.0

The filters are most expensive and your size pool I would recommend at least a 320 but a420 or 520 should get you a year without cleaning.. if you want or do not mind cleaning 2 times a year the 320 will work fine... A Cart filter does eliminate the backwash mutliport valve.. Put a 3 way Jandy neverlube valve between your pump and filter so you can lower your water if needed, say on a big rain... I clean my 320 once a year and my PSI only raises 1.. :)

Use high temp unions on the pump, I am not sure if it is 1.5 inch or 2 inch..

2 inch > Pump Union 2" High Temp - Thread x Slip

1.5 inch > https://smile.amazon.com/CMP-1-5In-2Ins-Union-High-Temp/dp/B07XLVZVKH

Wow. Thanks for all the great advice and links.

I would like to clean up the plumbing while I am replacing all this equipment. Here is a photo of the existing setup:

I am excited to get rid of the timer. Big X across that.
Red frowny face on the loose flag stones holding the motor and pump in place. I hate this the most.

I really want the pump area to look smart and well laid out. Problem is, I dont know the first thing about designing this stuff! I highlighted the supply/return of the pump in green. Is there an optimal way to route?
I love how compact and stable something like this looks: Perflex | Filters | Above Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products
Wondering if there is any reason my setup is the way it is and what rules to abide by when upgrading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow. Thanks for all the great advice and links.

I would like to clean up the plumbing while I am replacing all this equipment. Here is a photo of the existing setup:

I am excited to get rid of the timer. Big X across that.
Red frowny face on the loose flag stones holding the motor and pump in place. I hate this the most.

I really want the pump area to look smart and well laid out. Problem is, I dont know the first thing about designing this stuff! I highlighted the supply/return of the pump in green. Is there an optimal way to route?
I love how compact and stable something like this looks: Perflex | Filters | Above Ground Pool Filters - Hayward Pool Products
Wondering if there is any reason my setup is the way it is and what rules to abide by when upgrading.
Your listing for Perflex filters should tell you the problem. They are listed for above ground pools. They may be "cute" but the largest one is about 37.5 sq.ft. Your signature says you have 48sq.ft. now and you don't want to go smaller. You would like a large cartridge filter much more than a DE in any case. No more DE mess. Coupled with a VSP, long filter cycles and easier cleaning.

Your listing for Perflex filters should tell you the problem. They are listed for above ground pools. They may be "cute" but the largest one is about 37.5 sq.ft. Your signature says you have 48sq.ft. now and you don't want to go smaller. You would like a large cartridge filter much more than a DE in any case. No more DE mess. Coupled with a VSP, long filter cycles and easier cleaning.
Totally understand that this is the wrong filter/pump for my application but I pointed it out as it is such a compact design and I would like to clean up the pvc that I have with something cleaner. Mostly want to delete the wobbly platform the pump is riding on.

I know this will sound crazzy but it really is easy.. Cut the pump and filter out and take the PVC back to an easy place to start.. Put your new pump and filter where you want it and then start connecting it up with the best possible layout... You can move the pump and filter any place you want..

Cut the along the red lines and pull the old pump and filter and all pvc out and start from scratch.. :)

1650421196109.png

It looks like the pump was raised to accommodate the suction plumbing. You may want to stabilize the platform the pump sits on so the suction plumbing is straight into the pump as it is now. You never want to have the suction plumbing to be above the pump inlet and then come back down. That is very poor hydraulically. Every pump manual will say this. The valves in what appears to be the pool suction line may not allow the pump to be placed much lower.

Pulled the trigger on some equipment. Hoping everything gets here before the end of the month so I can begin my journey. Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Who knows, maybe the installation goes smooth and this becomes a chill build thread. I can dream.

Reactions: markayash
That is some NICE equipment you got there, your going to LOVE that filter, mine has been trouble free for 8 years now... :)

The old filter finally cracked to such an extent that we could no longer move water. I am still waiting on shipping for the replacement filter but I want ahead and installed the new pump just to avoid losing my pool to algae. Running sans filter at the moment but pretty excited with the new pump. So much quieter and seems to be working as expected. Cant believe I glued up that many couplers without messing something up!

I was able to drop all the heights down so the pump is sitting on just on piece of leftover tile instead of the leaning tower of flagstone from before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.