Pump and filter shopping!! Need some recommendations PLEASE!!

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone! I’m currently pricing out equipment for my new pool. I know VS pumps are pushed heavily on TFP, but with how cheap my electric is and me having a 7,500 gallon AGP, it would take several YEARS to recoup not even the entire cost of a VS pump. I know, I know — July 21st, 2021 VS pumps will be required for any new pools or replacement pumps -- that’s why I’m hurrying to get a good Hayward or Pentair single or dual-speed pump now. Just hear me out, PLEASE....

I currently have a single speed pump and ran it all the time the past two summers and my electric bills were not high at all. Yes my current pump is only .75 HP, but I ran it A LOT (by choice...NOT because I “needed” to lol).

With a 1.5 HP pump, I would not run it as long. I guess what I’m saying is I don’t think spending the extra money on a VS pump will save me much at all. Actually, I know it won’t lol. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I hope I don’t offend anyone here but I want what works best for my pool and my needs. With the shortage of equipment and price-hiking for pool stuff due to Covid, I cannot spend that kind of money on a pool pump. I still need to pay for installation, a new filter, unibead liner, cove, landscaping, etc.

Can anyone name some good pumps (and filters!!!! I think I want to switch from sand to cartridge) to look into? Or just any advice you may have? Sorry this is a long post and kind of turned into a rant but I’ve seen so many arguments on this topic and I’m scared to even put it in my signature if I get anything other than a VS pump for my relatively small above-ground pool lol

As always, THANK YOU ALL in advance!! I really value your opinions. I just know some of us are “stuck in our ways” LOL. Myself being one of them! Love you all!!

- The Perplexed Float Queen 🤔🤔

Last edited:
Two speed pump is fine. Why a 1.5 hp one? Get a 1 hp one if you like. Check Inyopools for various manufacturers.
I don’t know, I just see 1.5 HP on here a lot and definitely want something a lil stronger. Not sure if I’ll tell a difference with the 1 HP pump compared to the .75 one I already have lol

This is the cartridge filter i have, which I’ve been happy with.

Right now I have the SS pump but planning to upgrade to the 2S pump (already included in the link above) this summer.

I know the other brands get a lot of love, just throwing out a positive review on an alternative that might cost a bit less. :)

• Love
Reactions: thefloatqueen
Make sure you don't oversize the pump for your needs. It's an unnecessary up-front expense, but it can also shorten the lifespan of the pump, by a lot. Or it pushes the water through the filter too forcefully, reducing filtration.

At any rate, you have no need to panic buy. The regulation (which goes into effect July 19, not the 21st, for those reading along) only applies to in-ground pool pumps and generally only those single-speed 1 HP and above. Since you have an AGP, it doesn't apply to you. Even if it did, a dual speed pump is fine. And even a single speed 0.75 HP like you currently have should be fine.

I don’t know, I just see 1.5 HP on here a lot and definitely want something a lil stronger
You also see some 20k-30k above ground pools, so some of them need the oooomph.

Then add up all the over zealous enthusiasts (no judgements, I am one too. Just sayin) and there are even more oversized pumps.

Last edited:
You also see some 20k-30k above ground pools, so some of them need the oooomph.

Then add up all the over zealous enthusiasts (no judgements, I am one too. Just sayin) and there are even more oversized pumps.
Oh I totally get it. But my signature clearly states what I’m workin with over here. The queen has champagne taste on a beer budget haha

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, the point was that while others in you smaller pool boat might opt to go with large equipment, you are in no way shape or form any less off of you don’t. There are many factors for you to weigh for your situation (including paying for it).

Don’t beat yourself up wanting to keep up with the Jones’s and use all the info to zero in on what’s right for you. That part we *all* agree on
:)
Oh I totally get it. But my signature clearly states what I’m workin with over here. The queen has champagne taste on a beer budget haha

• Love
Yeah, the point was that while others in you smaller pool boat might opt to go with large equipment, you are in no way shape or form any less off of you don’t. There are many factors for you to weigh for your situation (including paying for it).

Don’t beat yourself up wanting to keep up with the Jones’s and use all the info to zero in on what’s right for you. That part we *all* agree on
:)
All I know is I need to hurry up before stock starts getting low and prices get out of control. Now that the cold weather is starting to warm up a little, plus the Texas freeze adding demand for parts and equipment, I don’t want to wait too long. Would like to get a pump and filter combo, if possible. Thinking I may want to switch from sand to cartridge. Plus I need to order my new liner since I changed my mind on which one I want and cancelled my last order. 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ Ahhhh, decisions. I hope this summer won’t be as bad as last as far as COVID and pool demand. Ugh.

FWIW, with your cheap electricity and fit for a queen sized pool, I’d stay with a reasonably sized pump and spend the money on a bigger filter. That part you’ll notice right away when you have some friends over and it doesn’t take 2 days to remove the cloudiness that ensues from having 1 swimmer per 1000 gallons.

I’m about as big of a fan of an oversized VS pump that there is, but your equation doesn’t fit my usual arguments for it. My $.02.

FWIW, with your cheap electricity and fit for a queen sized pool, I’d stay with a reasonably sized pump and spend the money on a bigger filter. That part you’ll notice right away when you have some friends over and it doesn’t take 2 days to remove the cloudiness that ensues from having 1 swimmer per 1000 gallons.

I’m about as big of a fan of an oversized VS pump that there is, but your equation doesn’t fit my usual arguments for it. My $.02.
Which leads me to my next question — filter size!!! I don’t know what is considered big and what isn’t for a cartridge filter. My current sand filter is 16” and does a great job but cartridge just seems easier. I hate backwashing lol

Make sure you don't oversize the pump for your needs. It's an unnecessary up-front expense, but it can also shorten the lifespan of the pump, by a lot. Or it pushes the water through the filter too forcefully, reducing filtration.

At any rate, you have no need to panic buy. The regulation (which goes into effect July 19, not the 21st, for those reading along) only applies to in-ground pool pumps and generally only those single-speed 1 HP and above. Since you have an AGP, it doesn't apply to you. Even if it did, a dual speed pump is fine. And even a single speed 0.75 HP like you currently have should be fine.
I’m more or less “panic buying” to get one before they run out of stock due to another COVID summer approaching us. Price-gouging and sold out equipment (especially pools!) were awful last year. I really hope this summer won’t be as bad, but I already see vendors on Amazon and eBay taking advantage and marking their prices way higher than usual. 🙄

just noticed in your signature that you have a SS pump!! *gasp!* How are you liking it?
It’s not ‘mine’. It’s my red headed stepchild that came with the new house. :ROFLMAO: But I will say it worked just fine for 17 years, albeit very costly with our high energy bills in the region. It’s old and tired now. I’m torn because we are waiting until next year to build. I might replace it all now WAY oversized and not have to pay builder prices for them to do it later. Or just squeeze whatever life left it has.
Which leads me to my next question — filter size!!! I don’t know what is considered big and what isn’t for a cartridge filter
I don’t know the sand conversions/equivalents but I had a 500 sq ft cartridge on 35k gallons and it was plenty. A 100 sq ft cartridge would be your equivalent to what I had. A 150 would probably be the point of diminishing returns for size/function/cost.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.