Pump and filter shopping!! Need some recommendations PLEASE!!

Yeah, sand works fine here since I never have to move it! I think I want 1hp 2 speed pump, and a larger filter than I have now. I too have been going down the rabbit hole looking - I need to make myself stop!

Need opinions on this one, y’all!. It’s 150 sq. ft with a 1.5 HP pump. Comes as a set and fits my budget.

Hayward W3CC15093S XStream Above-Ground Pool Filter Pump System, 1.5 HP Amazon.com : Hayward W3CC15093S XStream Above-Ground Pool Filter Pump System, 1.5 HP : Garden & Outdoor
That one is about $50 cheaper directly from in the swim. There is also a 2 speed version- I’m hunting for it now

That one is about $50 cheaper directly from in the swim. There is also a 2 speed version- I’m hunting for it now
I was looking for a two-speed version but couldn’t find it! Please let me know if you find one. Thank you!!

Need opinions on this one, y’all
Do you have any trees that directly dump to the pool or is it more of a blowing in the wind thing ? I ask because we can size you similar to mine was, and this one is even larger than that. But if a tree(s) has direct dumpability, it has to catch a larger amount of crud than your surface area would suggest. Therefore it would need cleaning more often and not be large enough.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Yeah, sand works fine here since I never have to move it! I think I want 1hp 2 speed pump, and a larger filter than I have now. I too have been going down the rabbit hole looking - I need to make myself stop!
Ahhhh!! I’m rubbing off on you!! LOL! I need to stop too but gotta get my equipment before the crazy folks buy it all up lol. I’ll easily be able to make my money back after selling both of my Intex sand filters and pumps lol! That’s how I’m justifying it. 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣

Do you have any trees that directly dump to the pool or is it more of a blowing in the wind thing ? I ask because we can size you similar to mine was, and this one is even larger than that. But if a tree(s) has direct dumpability, it has to catch a larger amount of crud than your surface area would suggest. Therefore it would need cleaning more often and not be large enough.
Not directly, no. Only if it’s super windy.

Reactions: Newdude
Ok then I’m sold. For regular day to day filtering it would be great. The wind will spread any fallings out fairly instead of gravity punishing the filter on a calm day. (y)
The FALL is when there’s tree issues since I close my pool super late. I stay on top of scooping the leaves out and emptying the skimmer basket throughout the day, though. I also have a “leaf net” cover thing which helps quite a bit. But man, those windy fall days are a serious PITA lol. I closed the first week of November the past two years.

No luck finding the 2spd version as a set 🙁 doheny’s has the pump but doesn’t sell the filter separately- I dunno if their brand filter is something u would want?
28D8CA5C-FE60-4175-B832-0F50AD043D66.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No luck finding the 2spd version as a set 🙁 doheny’s has the pump but doesn’t sell the filter separately- I dunno if their brand filter is something u would want?
View attachment 177762
It seems like folks on here are about the brand names but I’m still new to this. When shopping for filters and pumps separately, how do I know if the two are even compatible? I also am on a budget so I don’t want to go over $700 total for both. Ideally, I’d like to keep it at or below $600-650.

The FALL is when there’s tree issues since I close my pool super late. I stay on top of scooping the leaves out and emptying the skimmer basket throughout the day, though.
Leaves won’t be an issue with any filter. The pollen in the spring is your properly sized concern. The pollen itself wasn’t even that bad. It was the long stringy flowering snots that my oaks dropped. I always cleaned my filter once the pollen/snots were done and cleaned again at the end of the season to store the cartridges.

Worst case scenario is you have to clean the crud off once or twice in the spring and be good for the rest of the season. If that’s the worst thing that happens each year, it’s a good year. :)

Leaves won’t be an issue with any filter. The pollen in the spring is your properly sized concern. The pollen itself wasn’t even that bad. It was the long stringy flowering snots that my oaks dropped. I always cleaned my filter once the pollen/snots were done and cleaned again at the end of the season to store the cartridges.

Worst case scenario is you have to clean the crud off once or twice in the spring and be good for the rest of the season. If that’s the worst thing that happens each year, it’s a good year. :)
The pollen wasn’t that bad at all last season in central Ohio. Hoping it’ll be the same this year! And if you don’t mind me asking, what made you switch from cartridge to sand?

And if you don’t mind me asking, what made you switch from cartridge to sand?
We moved and inherited it. It’s a 17 ish year old semi inground with original tired equipment that needs a new liner and I can only imagine what the walls will look like at that point. So we planned on gutting it and starting over either way.

We were technically able to swing the upgrade this year but the patio and all the extras like a fence would have wiped out the savings cushion so we decided to wait until next year. There is no question I will be getting my beloved cartridges/SWG/VS pump back when we do.

• Love
Just so everyone understands to "winterize" a sand filter you have two options. You remove the drain from the bottom and cover the valve body (head) with a bag or similar after putting the handle in between positions, or the preferred method is to remove the drain and remove the valve body and bring just the valve body indoors. No one brings the filter in, there's absolutely no reason to.

I've never known anyone that literally brought an entire filter of any kind inside for the winter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.