Bakersfield, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Saline Generating Systems Breeze 760
Our 3hp single speed pump is on its last legs.

We are looking at the intelliflo 3 vsf

We are also interested in the automation side of things with smart app controls and we would like to keep everything the same brand if possible. I saw pentair has a chem monitoring system but I couldn't find too much recent feedback on it.

Reliable automated chemical monitoring and dispensing would be great.

How much do installs typically cost for these systems?

Anyone with any feedback on this pump and any advice with.

Matt,

TFP does not recommend the use of the IntelliChem or any other 'automatic' chemical monitoring system. Kind of like fully automated cars, that work right up until the point of impact. :mrgreen:

We do recommend automated dosing equipment that is controlled by a human brain.

The whole point of this website is to teach pool owners how to monitor the chemicals in their pool and then, using their brain and logic, determine what needs to be done to keep the pool water in balance.

The IntelliFlo3 is a new pump with some great features. It can be controlled by RS-485 serial commands from a Pentair automation system, or by a Pentair pool app and your home Wi-Fi system. When a relay card is installed, it can also control two other devices, such as a Saltwater Chlorine Generator or ???

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I have been doing the tests using my brain. The problem isn't my brain, it is my eyes. My color blindness has gotten substantially worse over the past couple of years. Making it difficult/ impossible for me to match water color results to the tables. I am now 100% reliant on my wife to match colors.

I've spent a small fortune trying digital readers, and color readers so I can go back to doing the tests and reading the colors alone. None of them are reliable.

When my wife has to fly back home over 2,000 miles away for an emergency (three times in the last year alone) and I go back to trying to match colors. The longer she is gone. The worse off the pool is when she returns.

When we plan vacations together. We have to also plan a pool service very far in advance. None of them can work us in without substantial notice.

If the automation can work halfway decently for a few weeks in an emergency. I'm thinking it might be better than nothing. 🤷

The only color match is pH. And they do make very reliable digital testers for pH.

You have a SWCG. You can leave for quite some time without issue. We do. At most you might need someone to add some acid a couple times.

The only color match is pH. And they do make very reliable digital testers for pH.

You have a SWCG. You can leave for quite some time without issue. We do. At most you might need someone to add some acid a couple times.
What digital tester have you found that works well?

For pH -- the Apera PH60 is well regarded here by those that have one. If you need to be able to test salinity, get the PC60.

Reactions: Matthew Wallen

What digital tester have you found that works well?

I've bought at least 3 and they always come up different
For pH -- the Apera PH60 is well regarded here by those that have one. If you need to be able to test salinity, get the PC60.
Thank you

You do need the calibration solutions and to calibrate the unit as required. The probes are replaceable, as needed.

Matt,

I have the LaMotte, ColorQ Pro 7. I like it and use it a lot. That said, it is not without its faults, but certainly good enough for most tests. I would not advise you to use it as your only test device, as it is very handy to have a way to double check the results when things look off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I did see this on the Taylor website, but it is quite an expensive option.

Also there is a cheaper option using a smartphone app and test strips.

Although test strips aren't recommended here, it might be worth trying and comparing results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.