Pump Advice on Hayward VSP for Inground pool

Apr 12, 2011
TN
I am wanting to know if a Hayward SP2303VSP MaxFlo VS Variable-Speed Pool Pump is ok for my application. I am wanting to replace single speed jandy stealth shpf 1.5 pump which I feel is overkill.

I have a 18' x 38' inground approx. 25k gallons. 2 skimmers and main drain NO water features. Most plumbing is 1.5" except the 2 skimmers join into 2" pipe coming to pad. All plumbing at pad is 2".

Pad is 30' away.

Discharge is 1.5" pipe for returns and a 1.5" line for pool cleaner.

I want pool pump to talk to current automation

And yes I wish I had larger plumbing!

Attachments

• IMG_0824.jpg
    IMG_0824.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 49
  • MK4_5306.jpg
    MK4_5306.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 48
That pump should be adequately sized, but I am not sure if it will talk to your automation. I have not paid enough attention to any developments in this area in the last few years. I know the smaller VS pump used to not have the ability to communicate with the automation systems, but they may have changed that now.

- - - Updated - - -

From Hayward site, claims to work with automation, although would have to dig more into how exactly it integrates:

Universal compatibility: operates independently, with Hayward automation*, or with competitive systems (via relay control)
Available in both 115V and 230V versions

*230V version only (SP2303VSP)

- - - Updated - - -

From the SP2303VSP manual:

The MaxFlo VS pump can communicate with and be controlled by Hayward pool controls such as OmniLogic™,
ProLogic®, E-Command® 4, and OnCommand®. Minimum software revision requirements: OmniLogic R1.0.0,
ProLogic 3.00, OnCommand 1.00, E-Command 2.65, E-Command 4 2.80, AquaLogic 2.65, and AquaPlus 2.65

If you AquaLogic software is recent enough should be good to go

Yes My Aqua Plus is above the 2.65 firmware that it requires So I think it talks to the Aqua Plus for 2 speed settings. Is the pump large enough or should I look at Tristar or Ecostar VSP pumps? The pool is 8 years old that is just a picture when it was built. I am not fond of the way the returns were teed into that 2" in the middle of the pic.

Oh will it only control 2 speeds? I thought using the RS485 interface would allow for more control than that ... same as for the Ecostar.

You did not state any high flow rate needs, so there should not be a need for a very large pump.

What is that Tee in the middle for? Agree it is odd, but is it for the skimmers? The return jets in the picture do not appear to be tied into the Tee pipes.

Hmm you know I'm not sure on the Tee now that you mention it. Just wanting to make sure the new pump is quiet as possible. Didn't know if going with the Ecostar or Tristar would allow me to run pump at lower speed with same flow. Price is not top concern. Yes I think the Aqua Plus only allows control of 2 speed but I'm a noob on some of this.

Well the bigger pumps would certainly allow you to run on a lower speed to get the same flow. Whether it would then be quieter or not is unknown to me.

I would get one the truely integrates into the automation with full control (not just 2 speeds). Might want to contact Hayward and confirm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.