Proper way to turn off SWG

wille

Bronze Supporter
Sep 20, 2019
Sarasota, FL
When you turn off the SWG to add salt, what is the proper way to turn it off and then back on? I put mine in Service mode and then unplugged it and reversed this for turning it back on. Is that correct?

Wille,

You should never unplug your SWCG with power on the system.. While in the service mode it might shut off DC power to the cell, but it will not shut of the commuication bus to the cell..

Just setting the output to zero will keep the cell off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: wille
Why do you need to turn off the SWG when you add salt?

High levels of salt can damage the SWG if it is running. At least that is what the instructions say. Mine will shut off at over 4200 (I think). When I set mine to 0% and add salt, it still monitors the salt level and I have seen it register over 15000 as the salt dissolves and passes through the sensor.

High levels of salt can damage the SWG if it is running. At least that is what the instructions say. Mine will shut off at over 4200 (I think). When I set mine to 0% and add salt, it still monitors the salt level and I have seen it register over 15000 as the salt dissolves and passes through the sensor.
I'm not understanding. It's getting diluted into the pool water and not going directly to the skimmer. If the salt is below what the pool needs and you add, you couldn't be that high. The salt is on the floor and for it to get into the stream it would have to desolve which does not happen in one second.

I'm not understanding. It's getting diluted into the pool water and not going directly to the skimmer. If the salt is below what the pool needs and you add, you couldn't be that high. The salt is on the floor and for it to get into the stream it would have to desolve which does not happen in one second.

I guess it depends on where your intakes are in relation to where your undissolved salt it sitting. I throw mine in the deep end and have a floor drain so high concentrations of salt are going in the floor drain and through the SWG as the salt dissolves. I suppose if I closed off my floor drain and just used my skimmers when I add salt it would be a lower concentration of salt going through the SWG. I just set the SWG to 0% until the salt level shows in the proper range (via the SWG sensor reading). No biggie doesn't take more than a day at most.

Most of the SWG's vary their amps based on their salinity measurement. The controller will put higher amps into a cell with higher salinity.

If while salt is dissolving a slug of high salinity water runs through the skimmer and SWG it will cause the amps to spike to a level that can damage the electronics. The Hayward controllers are practically sensitive to high amps which overheat and damage the thermistor.

Hayward Aquarite SWG Thermistor

To be on the safe side we recommend that the SWG be turned off while salt is dissolving as it is hard to know what every model SWG may do with high salinity.

Reactions: wireform
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.