St Augustine, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I am trying to see what the best way to sequester metals in the water. I see some people say to use a sequestering agent and some say use ascorbic acid then the sequestering agent.

What is everyones advice on this? Also, which products do the best job?

Thank you.

What metal are you trying to sequester?

You use ascorbic acid to remove iron stains. Once the iron is in the water, a drain is a good idea if possible to remove the iron.

Thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions.

1) Is this ok to do on a pool surface that is only 3-4 months old?

2) Where is the best place to get AA?

3) Does water temp affect this? In other words can this be done in the winter?

Thank you all!

It’s brass or copper coming from the metal scupper on our bowls that we have. Builder tried acid and a tube on them but it didn’t remove them all. I’m also getting the purple flashing on my CH test which to me kinda confirms it too.

Did you get stone coping? They replastered And installed new stone and I think it caused my iron stains. Never had them before. I did add jacks and they also suggested adding the filter fiber to my cartridge filter and when I cleaned it a coupe months later it was covered in a rust looking stuff I assumed was iron

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It’s brass or copper coming from the metal scupper on our bowls that we have. Builder tried acid and a tube on them but it didn’t remove them all. I’m also getting the purple flashing on my CH test which to me kinda confirms it too.
Because of this, I would be curious to see your water test results. Many people have copper scuppers, and while they may change color after a while, they should not erode or put copper in the pool unless the water is too acidic. Seeing that your builder poured straight acid on them would seem to make it worse, causing copper properties to dissolve even faster to add copper to the water. @JamesW thoughts?

The tube trick makes sense to me now (acid via tube through the water). But I would still do some spot tests since muriatic acid might not do the trick. Before getting AA products, spot test with Vitamin C tabs (same thing). If it lifts, you know you have iron - possibly from a well or local water. If that doesn't work, try some dry acid in a sock or nylon. If that helps, it's copper staining.

If you confirm it's copper, it's either from copper-based algaecides or possible low pH/acidic water effecting the scuppers.

Chlorine is down to 2.5 so I added the polyquot 60 today. SWG is turned off.

I will add the ascorbic acid once the chlorine level hits 0 and make sure the ph is 7.2 or lower.

My question is about the sequestering agent... based on the further reading, it says to raise the ph to about 7.2 after the ascorbic acid, as it will drop. Run for 24 hours then add seqestering agent. Well Metal Magic bottle states to make sure the ph is 7.5 or higher... so what do I do? These contradict one another.

Thank you.

Raising the pH can cause the metal to precipitate out of the water and redeposit on the surfaces. You want to get the metal bound with the sequesterant before you raise the pH much. With the subjectivity of a pH test you are nor very precise anyway.

I leaned the hard way about not adding seq agent. I did right after and forgot, the. 2 months later stains came back.
I am making sure I add a little every month

You either need to maintain a level of sequestering agent forever or drain the water and dump the metals with the sequestering agent and fill will metal free water..

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.