Proper way to Sequester Metals?

Cayman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 16, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I am trying to see what the best way to sequester metals in the water. I see some people say to use a sequestering agent and some say use ascorbic acid then the sequestering agent.

What is everyones advice on this? Also, which products do the best job?

Thank you.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
What metal are you trying to sequester?

You use ascorbic acid to remove iron stains. Once the iron is in the water, a drain is a good idea if possible to remove the iron.

Cayman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 16, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Thanks for the info. I have a couple of questions.

1) Is this ok to do on a pool surface that is only 3-4 months old?

2) Where is the best place to get AA?

3) Does water temp affect this? In other words can this be done in the winter?

Thank you all!

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Whoa.... are you *sure* you have metal staining in such a new pool? Do you know where the metals came from and which metal you have?? Could you be mistaking algae for metal staining??

Maddie :flower:

Cayman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 16, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
It’s brass or copper coming from the metal scupper on our bowls that we have. Builder tried acid and a tube on them but it didn’t remove them all. I’m also getting the purple flashing on my CH test which to me kinda confirms it too.

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Marrietta Ga
Did you get stone coping? They replastered And installed new stone and I think it caused my iron stains. Never had them before. I did add jacks and they also suggested adding the filter fiber to my cartridge filter and when I cleaned it a coupe months later it was covered in a rust looking stuff I assumed was iron

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
It’s brass or copper coming from the metal scupper on our bowls that we have. Builder tried acid and a tube on them but it didn’t remove them all. I’m also getting the purple flashing on my CH test which to me kinda confirms it too.
Because of this, I would be curious to see your water test results. Many people have copper scuppers, and while they may change color after a while, they should not erode or put copper in the pool unless the water is too acidic. Seeing that your builder poured straight acid on them would seem to make it worse, causing copper properties to dissolve even faster to add copper to the water. @JamesW thoughts?

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
The builder put acid in the stains via a pipe. Sorry for the confusion.
Acid added via a tube still mixes in to the rest of the water which can lower the pool's pH.

Can you share your test results with us? I really find it hard to imagine how a new pool gets stained so quickly. Have you been using algaecides in the water?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
The tube trick makes sense to me now (acid via tube through the water). But I would still do some spot tests since muriatic acid might not do the trick. Before getting AA products, spot test with Vitamin C tabs (same thing). If it lifts, you know you have iron - possibly from a well or local water. If that doesn't work, try some dry acid in a sock or nylon. If that helps, it's copper staining.

If you confirm it's copper, it's either from copper-based algaecides or possible low pH/acidic water effecting the scuppers.