Proper CYA level for saltwater pool?

You are correct the higher levels are recommended for swgs. This is because the swg are slow at adding chlorine and can use the extra protection from the Sun. It also should allow your swg to not have to produce as much chlorine and thus extend the life of the cell.

So i just received my Taylor test kit and reading through the manual it says "above 50ppm no additional benefit is observed. In fact, high levels of CYA may actually inhibit chlorines ability sanitize an oxidize". Chemistry is brutal.

You have to choose whether you are going to follow TFPC methods or the industry recommendations. Up to you. Also please start your own new thread if you would like to continue to ask questions.

So i just received my Taylor test kit and reading through the manual it says "above 50ppm no additional benefit is observed. In fact, high levels of CYA may actually inhibit chlorines ability sanitize an oxidize". Chemistry is brutal.
This is why the TFP method targets your FC as a percentage of CYA, 7.5% to be precise, rather than just a range of 1-3 ppm as the rest of the industry recommends. As CYA goes up, FC goes up correspondingly..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.