Thoughts On CYA Level VS FC

it was probably a stupid question
The only stupid question is one you don't ask. (y)
it's 16mils so it should be able to take somewhat of a beating.
The industry doesn't recognize CYA buffering the FC. You're entirely safe up to SLAM level because science.

Removing the buffering of CYA from the equation, 0 CYA and 3 FC is harsh. They got that part right.

Reactions: taylormade
Now I have one last worry, if I am to keep my FC level around 7, is this not bad for my solar cover? All I can find online is that anything over 3ppm FC is bad for the cover.....thanks

One thing we've found that seems to be way more detrimental to the solar covers than FC is, ironically, the sun ;)

When you roll the cover up, and let it sit in the sun, the heat gets trapped inside, and the middle of the roll can get really hot - we had terrible issues with delamination.
This time around, we bought a better quality cover (Sun2Solar...it seemed much more robust out of the gate), and then bought a cover for the cover - it goes over the rolled up solar cover when we're in the pool, and helps block the sunlight from overheating the cover itself.
So far, we're into season 2, and we haven't see a single instance of delamination so far.

Solar Cover Cover

Last edited:
Yup - covering a solar cover when it isn't on the pool will prolong its life considerably.
Also, rolling it up rather than just putting it in a big heaping pile helps as well.

Also, clean and dry it before storing away for long periods.

Reactions: taylormade