Project Hoss's new pool - Updated 8/8

Would they be in the same aisle?
Yeah. Check the collars from now on. Once you put the two side by side and see the difference, you'll always just see the difference when you pick one up. I wont ever use a waste one, even for waste. I was replacing a bathroom faucet and slipped with the wrench all awkward and upside down from below. As a fellow large American I took the drain line right out the wall with my flying hand. Luckily it popped right out without damage and it went back in with new glue. I would have been HOT if I was cutting sheetrock to fix it. It's not the elbows fault, it was my fault. But I need to future proof my plumbing from me. You know?

Yes, they are right next to each other at my home depot and exactly how I made the mistake. It isn't at all obvious especially if you don't know to look for it. When I went back to get the correct one I saw that there is a section of pressure rated pvc and then the drain/waste ones are in the next bay.

Will take a look at that. I have to shut the pump off this weekend to do some proper wiring so that'll be a good opportunity to fix those. Although. That's alot of wasted 90 degree elbows!!

• Sad
Reactions: kimkats
Would they be in the same aisle?
In a HD close to me, yes 2" Schedule 40 fittings and 2" DWV fittings are in the same aisle. But store layouts can vary as all HDs are not the same size store.

Just to mix it up more, note that there ARE fittings that are suitable, and marked for, both pressure (NSF-PW) and non-pressure applications in the same fitting. See this thread:

Hey hey, well the good news is we are in the pool!! Huge thanks to all of you for the advice.

The bad news:
As I'm standing in here in the pool I have noticed a few things I did poorly:

1. The pool floor is not smooth. We wetted down and tamped the sand, but it apparently wasn't enough. Not a huge deal, I can live with it.
2. Somehow the pool is off level side to side by about 3/4". I can only tell because the water level against the liner pattern. This will annoy me.

3. And the biggest most concerning thing that I am once again asking help for. I missed the step where I was to cover the screw heads of the joining piece with duck tape. DOH!!! I know I know. Fail. The wall was put up almost 3 weeks before we got the liner in and I just flat out forgot.
Is there anyway to pull the liner away from the wall enough to get something against the seem??? The water cost me a grand, which is about what a new liner cost. So if the answer is to drain the pool I'll probably just chance it.
I was thinking maybe a thin strip of cardboard covered in duct tape, slathered in dish soap may slide down the side easily. Or, maybe half a roll of that Gorilla tape/flex seal waterproof tape on top so if/when the screws do puncture its already patched?
Maybe I'm the only one to ever make this kind of a bone head mistake.
Lessons learned everywhere.

Last edited:
Okay lets think this through. Why do they say to cover the screw heads? They are worried the screw heads might have a bur or such on it that might puncture the liner is my thought. So your thought of putting some flex seal tape is a solid one. I would not even try to put something behind the liner at this point. With the $1000 :)shock:) worth of water in it I really don't think there is any way to get anything in there.

The tape on top will protect it if/when someone leans on that part of the wall. Just like you said, a pre-patch!

Okay lets think this through. Why do they say to cover the screw heads? They are worried the screw heads might have a bur or such on it that might puncture the liner is my thought. So your thought of putting some flex seal tape is a solid one. I would not even try to put something behind the liner at this point. With the $1000 :)shock:) worth of water in it I really don't think there is any way to get anything in there.

The tape on top will protect it if/when someone leans on that part of the wall. Just like you said, a pre-patch!
Yeah, it's the best option I think my brain could come up with. And, I really don't want to take the caps off and liner braces with the water full, so I think I may buy a 6" wide roll of that clear flex seal/Gorilla tape that can be applied wet, and hope for the best.
They are phillips head screws and the + part is very small in comparison to the size of the screw. I think not even the burs, but just the pressure of the liner pushing the liner into the screw cavity is enough to cause concern.

Yeah, the water was only like $215 from the local municipal water treatment facility, the other $835 was the mileage charge. Yay fuel prices!

I did "upgrade" to the 30ga liner so I'm hoping between that and a 6" pre-patch of flex seal/Gorilla tape we can get a few good yrs of use before it explodes.

What an bone head mistake! :paddle:

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
July update: the pool is great! Been open for 3 weeks now and we are loving it.
Haven't gotten the water tested yet but she is crystal clear. Ended up building some wood stairs up to it because the 2 ladders we tried were not suitable for a man of my size.

20220704_142227.jpg
20220704_170308.jpg
20220622_200428.jpg
I do have a funny story. My dipshit BIL (He is 24 so I give him some slack, I made some real bone head decisions when I was his age) decided he could jump from the brick patio into the pool. You guessed it, he didn't make it. Snapped one of the top rails, put a nice kink in the wall, and bent one of the uprights. As you can imagine, I was frustrated. But, also thrilled he didn't take the entire wall down. Ordered a new top rail and the upright is on backorder. Crazy young people!
20220702_181640.jpg
IMG-20220702-WA0017.jpg
20220702_133712.jpg

Reactions: Dozenmonkeyz
Nice job on those steps!

Sigh on the BIL.............REALLY GUY???? PLEASE tell me HE is paying for the replacement parts!!! I would NOT try to take that kink out of the wall. I worry it might "finish" the job.

Time to fill our your signarture:

Make sure to include what test kit and how you are adding chlorine in it.

Kim:kim:

What are the plans ? How will you be keeping the water clear ?

Heck, I made some yesterday, at almost double the 24 years old. :ROFLMAO:
I have the Taylor kit and the pool math app. Right now, because it's virgin water and I purchased 4 giant tubs of 3" dichlor tabs when we purchased the house, I'm using a Hayward chlorinator and the tabs. My CYA is not registering yet so I can use some of these tablets up for now until I get to 40-45 and then I'll switch back to liquid.

I have not tested PH and Alkalinity yet. On my to-do list.

Reactions: Newdude
Solid thinking so far. Just keep a close eye on your FC during the day as it will take some time for the CYA to add up enough to really help protect the FC from the sun.

I have not tested PH and Alkalinity yet. On my to-do list.
Now Hoss I do have to fuss a tiny bit about this. These two things are the MOST important to keep your brand new liner happy and healthy. You can do these tests inside under a good light. Might want to move them up to the top of your to-do list. :hug:

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Hoss81 and Newdude
Just a update for the masses, got the drone out and got some updated pictures. So far so good. Running out of summer time here in Ohio so the next challenge will be winterizing it.

My PH started at 7.8 and TA around 145. I've been keeping it around 7.0-7.2 using Muriatic Acid and have brought the TA down to 105. A few more rounds to go and it should be within the acceptance range.
CYA is up to 35-40 ish (I don't really like the way the Taylor kit test is designed, makes it hard to pinpoint exact), without a pool cover (I have a cover but currently no deck to put it on) the pool burns through alot of chorine. I've been added 2 quarts every morning and putting 2 3" pucks in the chlorinator once a week. That maintains right at 5.5-7.0 depending on how much sun we get on any given day.

The deck is next on the list but will probably wait until next spring to do that. We can't agree on a design or placement so until Mrs. Hoss and I can agree on a design, we are at a standstill.

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

Just a update for the masses, got the drone out and got some updated pictures. So far so good. Running out of summer time here in Ohio so the next challenge will be winterizing it.

You shush!!! :D

Hoping for a warm fall like we had last year. We swam on a Saturday in early October watching a Buckeyes game from the pool with 82*. The next day it was 45* and raining :laughblue:

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude
You shush!!! :D

Hoping for a warm fall like we had last year. We swam on a Saturday in early October watching a Buckeyes game from the pool with 82*. The next day it was 45* and raining :laughblue:
Yeah, the problem I've found is that with the giant field and airflow behind/through/around the house. I need a solid 2 days of 80+ and sunshine to get the water back up to a temperature that folks will swim in. We tried to get in it yesterday, it was 78 degrees in the pool. I got in to clean it, but nobody else could handle the temperature. Not sure what everyone keeps their pool at, but my family prefers 84 and up. I'm a little more versatile since I'm part polar bear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.