Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
This weekend began the deconstruction of our old pool. The pool was a 21x41 above ground that came with the house. We purchased the house almost exactly 1 yr ago (Feb 26th 2021) and mid way through the summer the pool collaposed.
As you can see from the below pictures, the pool was heavily rusted and in overall poor condition. The previous owner built the house and installed the pool, they are both 23 yrs old.

First - Some before pictures of where we started
The pool was never winterized, and the previous owner more or less didn't take great care of it.
These were the first pictures of the pool I took, on March 9th 2021, the weekend we moved in.
20210309_150024.jpg
After a ton of help from this page and several members, I was able to get it cleaned up and we LOVED it. This was the first time myself, or anyone in either mine or my wifes family had a pool. And we were in love!

20210614_085640.jpg
Then, during a pool party the last weekend in July, disaster struck. We were all in the pool, drinking, having a great time, and all of a sudden heard 3-4 very loud pops/bangs. We were all looking around trying to figure out what happened. Then we saw it. The east side of the pool was slowly starting to collapse. We could see it moving, slowly going lower and lower until the water started rushing out over the top of the liner. EVERYBODY OUT!!!! Nobody was hurt and we managed to get everyone out of the pool and off the deck.
20210724_162938.jpg
After the water drained and the dust settled, we got to pulling the liner off of the pool. It was then we became painfully aware of the issue. This pool had rusted to a point of failure.
20210911_105020.jpg

So we let it sit over winter, but now that spring is around the corner, it's time to get to work. We rented a 25 yard dumpster, and a very kind neighbor let us borrow a mini-excavator.
20220304_175854.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The new pool also arrived.
We went with a Quest (built by Wilbar) oval 18x40 (We looked for a 21x41 but in the price range we were willing to pay we could not find anything that could deliver and be ready for pool season. We purchased the pool from www.thepoolfactory.com. I enjoyed the ease of assembling all the pieces I needed in 1 screen, adding to cart, and checking out. It was quick and easy.
We always felt the 21x41 was overkill so hopefully we won't miss a few ft.a Hard to believe there is an entire pool in there.

20220223_104812-3.jpg

This is a rough estimate of what the new deck will look like. One of the complaints was always that once it got past 5pm the house masked the sun, so I'm building enough deck on the east side so folks can lay out in the sun longer.

1646664711764.png

Great job so far and good luck moving forward Hoss !!!!

I say this alot, and I always mean it, but we are heavily invested in you so it's even more rewarding than normal to cheer you on.

Keep
Us
Posted.

(Pics will never hurt either)

We got you if you need. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoss81
Loving it! I have to reiterate that you did an amazing job initially cleaning up the pool prior to disaster striking! That new pool is going to be a beauty, and hard to believe it's all on that pallet! Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OH MY! I bet your heart missed a beat or two when that happen!!! :shock:

I am glad no one got hurt. That was quite a show I bet.

What a great neighbor you have to let you use their big toy!!!

LOVE your new deck set up. Will you be doing the work or letting your wallet do the work for you by hiring it out? At least the pool ground prep is mostly done!

Kim:kim:

OH MY! I bet your heart missed a beat or two when that happen!!! :shock:

I am glad no one got hurt. That was quite a show I bet.

What a great neighbor you have to let you use their big toy!!!

LOVE your new deck set up. Will you be doing the work or letting your wallet do the work for you by hiring it out? At least the pool ground prep is mostly done!

Kim:kim:
I am fortunately a very handy individual, I've built 6 decks in the last 8 yrs for friends and family, so I will be tackling this project mostly myself.

And yes, we were all extremely bummed out when our brand new (to us) pool went kaboom.

The kids were especially sad.

Small update. There was some delays caused in part by weather combined with the dumpster company making numerous scheduling errors. I still have a mess in my back yard. We had ordered a 25 yard dumpster (having no frame of reference) originally and filled that up in a matter of hours. I have a 40 yard delivering this Friday and a crew of friends and family coming over Saturday to help. Also, the weather here in Ohio has been abysmal. Its been in the high 20s to low 40s and raining/snowing every weekend since we first tore the pool and deck down.

I did manage to get some drone shots of the property this weekend, so the only update I have is some cool pictures. threema-20220326-093430381.jpgthreema-20220326-093400193.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.