Programming Tips for upgrading from Easy Touch to Intellicenter

Nov 24, 2012
Irvine, CA
I will be upgrading from Easy Touch 8 to Intellicenter. I will have to get the new Intellicenter App and the logic board upgrade kit.

So I have to reprogram all the valves, pumps, schedules, etc from scratch or is there an easier way? Any tips on making the transition easier and making the inputting of data easier?

is the Intellicenter Alexa integration better than Screenlogic?

Reactions: Leebo
Dog,

Curious what functions/features that you will get with the IntelliCenter that you don't get with the EasyTouch?

You will still have to program everything manually.

I suggest that you take Screenshots of all the EasyTouch set-up pages from your PC, which you can then use to program your new IntelliCenter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

One thing is that my ET8 doesn’t keep time. It doesn’t sync with my computer time per the settings. Worked with Pentair for years on this and they can’t figure it out.

Scheduling my pool lights by sunrise and sunset

Having a system that will be future supported as they seemed to have abandoned screenlogic

I really like how intellicenter can schedule pool lights to come on at sunset instead of a set time

However I like my pool light and fountain lights to be staggered to my spa light as they go through “Romance”. Mode. This way the pool and fountain are the same color and the Spa is a different one as they slow change

Is there a way to set a delay for a minute after sunset to I can stagger the spa light? It appears you can do this for Swim mode, but not Intellibrite

I like the feature where the pump will pause when valves turn. My pvc pipes are probably 40 years old and I worry about the added pressure. I have a pool and spa and by default that is 4 valves (intake and output) and those are all used.

I also have a valve that activates a cleaner and another one that activates a fountain (2 more valves for a total of 6)

The pump doesn't pause when the fountain or cleaner valve turn. I assume its because they are not recognized as valves. I cant find a way to have the sytem recognize them as valves as opposed to just aux circuits.

Is the ONLY way to accomplish this is to add a 5220382Z expansion board for $200 dollars?

I read the thread about Aux Circuits vs Feature Circuits and I am still confused. Al read the manual

The TFP thread mentioned that one controls a relay and one controls just the circuit.

Why do I need a relay?

In the setting menu, I only have "Spillway" in the Feature Circuits section.

Should I add my cleaner and fountain valve to "Feature Circuits" and what would that give me that I don't ahve now with them just being under "Aux Circuits"? And why can they be in both sections at the same time?

My goal is to get Intellicenter to recognize the cleaner and fountain valves as valves and to pause the pump while turning the valves. Would this do it? I can only set t hose to "spillway" or "Generic" - currently when those valves turn, the pump does not pause per my checked setting.

My goal is to get Intellicenter to recognize the cleaner and fountain valves as valves and to pause the pump while turning the valves. Would this do it? I can only set t hose to "spillway" or "Generic" - currently when those valves turn, the pump does not pause per my checked setting.

The valve delay is only applicable to the intake/return valves during pool/spa changeover.

From the user's guide, page 88...

Valve Delay ON or OFF (Pool/Spa): ON: Pool/Spa pump is off (1 minute) during the delay for pool/spa valve rotation. OFF: No valve delay for Pool/Spa rotation.

--Jeff

A simple way to think of the difference in circuits is Aux circuits control the physical relays in the panels. Feature circuits allow you to control programming. For example, I have a feature circuit set for a 'skim high' mode, and the only thing it does is ramp the pump speed up to a higher speed, for more flow/better skimming action. Feature circuits can cause a valve action, if a valve is programmed for that feature circuit.

--Jeff

A simple way to think of the difference in circuits is Aux circuits control the physical relays in the panels. Feature circuits allow you to control programming. For example, I have a feature circuit set for a 'skim high' mode, and the only thing it does is ramp the pump speed up to a higher speed, for more flow/better skimming action. Feature circuits can cause a valve action, if a valve is programmed for that feature circuit.

--Jeff

Thank you Jeff. I 80% get this.

Is this all a non issue because with Easy Touch you were limited to the number of buttons to turn on and off devices dues to the limited physical buttons. But for Intellicenter there are no buttons, so where you assign these doesn't really matter? What happens if you mis assign them?

Let me repeat what I think you are explaining (sorry I am so stupid on this)

If its a simple on and off button or hooked to a relay such as lighting, it's an aux circuit.

If it requires more complexity such as adjusting the speed of the pump for a cleaner, it would be a feature circuit.

Also, EVERYTHING that can got into Aux Circuits will go into Aux Circuits by default. So its not really a matter of selecting where things go, its more of choosing which things will be in Feature Circuits? (in which case you will see them in both lists)

I cant figure out why Fountain is not in both lists if this is the case. (please see attached and please comment if I have this right, in my system the only thing that changes pump speed is booster pump which is a separate pump, cleaner, and backwash)

With all of this being said, if you put things in the wrong place, there really is no detrimental effect.

Attachments

• msedge_5v3SxiL3a7.png
    msedge_5v3SxiL3a7.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The valve delay is only applicable to the intake/return valves during pool/spa changeover.

From the user's guide, page 88...

Valve Delay ON or OFF (Pool/Spa): ON: Pool/Spa pump is off (1 minute) during the delay for pool/spa valve rotation. OFF: No valve delay for Pool/Spa rotation.

--Jeff

Jeff, thanks again for your responses.

So there is no way to get the pump to pause when other valves turn.? Seems odd that there is not a way to work around this and that they would not allow the ability to do this.

My concern is I have 40 year old PVC and when the vavles turn I assume its adding extra pressure in the lines? Just trying to prevent cracks or leaks in the pipes due to increased pressure

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Let me see if I can explain a little bit better. Bear with me. This may be a lot to digest.

AUX circuits are circuits that are tied to a physical relay inside the panel. So anything that you might need to switch power on/off to in order to control it, would need to be an AUX circuit. This is pumps, lights, spa blowers, etc.

You can see in mine below, I have the Spa and Pool, which controls the Filter pump, Feature Pump (aux 1), Air Blower (aux 2), Pool lights (aux 3), Spa light (aux 4). Then I have 3 remaining empty relays, for future use.

1674779154242.png

Feature Circuits are circuits that allow you to control internal functions of the software or panel. This consists of valves A and B (and C through H if you have the expansion module), or also allows you to control pump speeds independent of the Aux circuits.

In mine below, the Wall Waterfalls, Deck Jets, Cleaner, and Bubblers all actuate a valve and set a pump speed.

My cleaner circuit actuates a valve and increases my filter pump speed.

The spa waterfall is my spillway circuit and that actuates the return valve actuator to send all water to the spa.

Skim high and Sprayer are only there to set a pump speed, for when I want to skim the pool surface, or during the summer when I operate a sprayer to help cool the water.

1674779487137.png

All of that above to say, if it requires turning on and off a power source to control a device, it needs to be an AUX circuit and go through a relay. If it only requires actuating a valve actuator (A-H), and/or setting pump speeds, then you would use a feature circuit.

Now let me see if I can address your questions directly...

Also, EVERYTHING that can got into Aux Circuits will go into Aux Circuits by default. So its not really a matter of selecting where things go, its more of choosing which things will be in Feature Circuits? (in which case you will see them in both lists)

I don't understand what you are saying here. You must program the Aux Circuits as you want them. The system does not copy over from Aux to Features. You have to program them as such.

Should I add my cleaner and fountain valve to "Feature Circuits" and what would that give me that I don't ahve now with them just being under "Aux Circuits"? And why can they be in both sections at the same time?
Cleaner and Fountain should only be under Feature Circuits, as the only thing that does is actuate a valve, and possibly adjust a pump speed. There is no power device that needs turned on and off. If you have them listed in both sections, there is no real harm, but it takes up a relay that could be used for something else, and it can clutter up the 'circuit names' in the software, and can make it difficult to program correctly.

I see above that you have a Cleaner circuit in both Aux and Feature. As I mentioned above, this had to have been programmed in both locations, it doesn't duplicate over. So this can cause the issue I mentioned about cluttering up the circuit names. For example, I created my Aux 7 as Cleaner. You can see below, that there are 2 circuits named Cleaner in the drop down list. I can only associate the valve with one of these, so if I select the incorrect one, when I turn it on, it may not have the effect I am expecting. Additionally, if I associate the incorrect one to the pump, it also may not work as expected.

1674781110922.png

I cant figure out why Fountain is not in both lists if this is the case. (please see attached and please comment if I have this right, in my system the only thing that changes pump speed is booster pump which is a separate pump, cleaner, and backwash)

Fountain is not in both lists, since it has only been programmed in the Features list. There is no reason for it to be in the Aux circuits since you do not need to turn on/off a relay with it. For your booster pump, since it is a separate pump, and you are turning on/off a relay to control it, you should really remove it from the Features Circuit list, as it is not necessary there. You simply need to check the box in the Booster Pump Aux Circuit, to "show as Feature" and it will add a button under the "Features" tab on the panel and in the app, for you to control this with.

1674781847976.png

What are the below circuits doing, and let's see if those need to be Aux or Feature circuits? I think Cleaner is only actuating a valve, so I think that should be removed from the Aux Circuits. What about the other two?

1674781960470.png

So there is no way to get the pump to pause when other valves turn.? Seems odd that there is not a way to work around this and that they would not allow the ability to do this.

My concern is I have 40 year old PVC and when the vavles turn I assume its adding extra pressure in the lines? Just trying to prevent cracks or leaks in the pipes due to increased pressure

Regarding the above, no, unfortunately there is no way to accomplish this, at the moment. This really should not be an issue, as the plumbing should be configured such that the valves should not dead head the pump (cause a no flow condition with the pump running). So these pipes will have the pressure on them anytime the pump is running and these circuits are off, anyway.

Hope I didn't overwhelm you with all the information above. If it is overwhelming, let's break it down into small bites and address them individually.

--Jeff

Attachments

• 1674780634691.png
    1674780634691.png
    12.4 KB · Views: 0
I see above that you have a Cleaner circuit in both Aux and Feature. As I mentioned above, this had to have been programmed in both locations, it doesn't duplicate over. So this can cause the issue I mentioned about cluttering up the circuit names. For example, I created my Aux 7 as Cleaner. You can see below, that there are 2 circuits named Cleaner in the drop down list. I can only associate the valve with one of these, so if I select the incorrect one, when I turn it on, it may not have the effect I am expecting. Additionally, if I associate the incorrect one to the pump, it also may not work as expected.

View attachment 470706

--Jeff

Thank you for your help.

Here is how I have it laid out now

msedge_5v3SxiL3a7.pngmsedge_5v3SxiL3a7.png

Cleaner - pool cleaner that changes speed of the pump when activated
Backwash - changes the pump speed to a higher rpm when activated
Booster Pump - Turns on a seperate pump from the pool pump - mostly to increase water into the spa when we use that
Fountain - turns water flow into the fountain - no change of speed

Now, I can not figure out how to delete these duplicate items from the AUX Circuits.. In your example, you select "select circuits". It wont let me select anything and if it did what do I select so that it doesnt show up on the Aux Circuit menu?

msedge_t5pYn67AH8.png

In addition, I tried to set the Backwash and Cleaner to "None" in Aux Circuits and added them to Feature Circuits. When trying to activate them in the features menu, nothing would happen (valves didnt turn, speeds didnt increase) This would be regardless if I set those to cleaner and backwash or to none. When I deleted them from Feature Circuits and they were only in Aux Circuits they worked again.

I am super confused.

Last edited:
I am super confused.
You're doing great. I'm at work right now and was checking in on my lunch break.

I'll respond with a longer post this evening explaining what's happening in more detail.

In the meanwhile, if you haven't yet, you might read through this post... IntelliCenter Quick Reference/Information Guide

It is a lot to read, but it is a great breakdown of the system and it's features.

--Jeff

Reactions: diamonddog
Cleaner - pool cleaner that changes speed of the pump when activated
This should be a Feature Circuit and not an Aux Circuit
Backwash - changes the pump speed to a higher rpm when activated
Feature and not Aux
Booster Pump - Turns on a seperate pump from the pool pump - mostly to increase water into the spa when we use that
Aux as it needs to switch power on to the separate pump
Fountain - turns water flow into the fountain - no change of speed
I am assuming that this is supposed to actuate a diverter valve? Feature not Aux.

Now, I can not figure out how to delete these duplicate items from the AUX Circuits.. In your example, you select "select circuits". It wont let me select anything and if it did what do I select so that it doesnt show up on the Aux Circuit menu?
You cannot delete AUX circuits. You can only rename them and disassociate them with the functions (pump speed, valves or any other internal association).

For example, Cleaner, Backwash, and Fountain, all should be Feature circuits, based on what you have explained to me, that they do.

So to remove Cleaner and Backwash from the Aux circuit list, you simply need to rename them. I suggest renaming them back to their original Aux names, or you can do as I did and in my system I renamed any unused Aux circuits as Spare Aux #, that way I knew they were not being used for anything.

As you can see in your screenshot above, you can see which Aux circuit it is when you expand it.

Now that you have renamed those, take a couple of screen shots for me. 1 of your pump page, showing what circuits are associated with the pump, and one of your valves, showing what circuits are associated with them. Examples below from mine.

1674864592107.png

1674864632136.png

My guess is, renaming things has changed the associations with the circuits.

I have a couple of questions for you also.

1. Did you perform the install of the Intellicenter, or did you have someone install for you?
2. If you had someone install, did they do any programming, or have you done all of the programming?
3. Is your booster pump circuit currently working?
4. If booster pump is working, how are you turning that on/off?

--Jeff

I have a couple of questions for you also.

1. Did you perform the install of the Intellicenter, or did you have someone install for you?
2. If you had someone install, did they do any programming, or have you done all of the programming?
3. Is your booster pump circuit currently working?
4. If booster pump is working, how are you turning that on/off?

--Jeff

Here are my screenshots as I changed everything back to how it was before I changed things to feature circuits as those devices stopped working when I did it. So I changed it back to the working state

Lets take Backwash as an example. I renamed the circuit to "none" and associated it with "none" in the selection., I then added it to Feature Circuit and selected Backwash. It would not work. Then I changed the Aux Circuit back to how it was so now I had backwash in 2 circuits (Aux and feature) . It would not go on. I then deleted in the feature circuit and then it worked. Same for cleaner

to answer your questions:

I upgraded from an Easy Touch 8 to the Intellicenter and did it all myself. No one has done any programming. Booster pump is lPump 2 and I turn it of via aux circuit and it shows up in features as it the box is checked for show in features

Perhaps the mistake I made was selecting 'None" instead of generic for the Aux circuit when I changed it? I am begining to think that this is not so much about moving things to different circuits or duplicating circuits. They will always be "duplicated". In Aux circuits, you are simply renaming things (not moving or changing them" to avoid confusion?

msedge_fpwwvQEwNU.pngmsedge_J7wbqg98sr.png

Here is the screenshot where I attempted to change Backwash per your instructions and now it doesnt turn on. It used to be in Aux 6

msedge_dOmLK4sAus.png

I noticed Fountain is set up correctly. There is no empty aux circuit representing that and it only shows up in feature circuits. I just cant figure out how to get it that way for Backwash and cleaner. Fountain works correctly.

Last edited:
I upgraded from an Easy Touch 8 to the Intellicenter and did it all myself. No one has done any programming.
Good deal. This just helps me to know that you know everything that has been done.

If you have everything programmed, and it is working correctly, or as you want it to, then there is no harm leaving everything as is. The only issue may be in the future, if any changes are needed, there may be some confusion when programming, if you have duplicate circuit names in there.

Lets take Backwash as an example. I renamed the circuit to "none" and associated it with "none" in the selection., I then added it to Feature Circuit and selected Backwash. It would not work. Then I changed the Aux Circuit back to how it was so now I had backwash in 2 circuits (Aux and feature) . It would not go on. I then deleted in the feature circuit and then it worked. Same for cleaner

Ok... I think we may be trying to do too much at one time. Let's work on one circuit at a time.

From what you said above, right now you have Backwash in Aux circuits and only Aux circuits, and it is working.

So, to change this from an Aux circuit (since you don't need it turning on and off a relay every time), to a Feature circuit:

- Change the name in the Aux circuit from Backwash to something else, such as None or Spare Aux
- Leave circuit type as Generic
- Uncheck show as feature in the Aux circuit tab

Now I want you to open your pumps tab, and you should see that it changed the associated circuit name from Backwash, and it should have changed to be None or Spare Aux, whatever you renamed that Aux circuit to.

Next:
- Go into the Feature circuits, and add a new circuit named Backwash.
- Leave the circuit type as Generic
- Check show as feature so it will show up on the UI under the features tab

Now go back into the pumps tab, and where your renamed Aux circuit is showing, select the circuit drop down, and choose Backwash. This will reassociate the pump speed with the Feature circuit named Backwash

Let me know how this goes.

--Jeff

I think it goes without saying but I'm going to mention it; make sure you are hitting the SAVE button for the circuit for the changes you are making.

I usually go out of the tab and back in to make sure the changes have taken.

--Jeff

Good deal. This just helps me to know that you know everything that has been done.

If you have everything programmed, and it is working correctly, or as you want it to, then there is no harm leaving everything as is. The only issue may be in the future, if any changes are needed, there may be some confusion when programming, if you have duplicate circuit names in there.

Ok... I think we may be trying to do too much at one time. Let's work on one circuit at a time.

From what you said above, right now you have Backwash in Aux circuits and only Aux circuits, and it is working.

So, to change this from an Aux circuit (since you don't need it turning on and off a relay every time), to a Feature circuit:

- Change the name in the Aux circuit from Backwash to something else, such as None or Spare Aux
- Leave circuit type as Generic
- Uncheck show as feature in the Aux circuit tab

Now I want you to open your pumps tab, and you should see that it changed the associated circuit name from Backwash, and it should have changed to be None or Spare Aux, whatever you renamed that Aux circuit to.

Next:
- Go into the Feature circuits, and add a new circuit named Backwash.
- Leave the circuit type as Generic
- Check show as feature so it will show up on the UI under the features tab

Now go back into the pumps tab, and where your renamed Aux circuit is showing, select the circuit drop down, and choose Backwash. This will reassociate the pump speed with the Feature circuit named Backwash

Let me know how this goes.

--Jeff

Changed the Name of Backwash in Aux Circuits from Backwash to Aux6, unchecked show in features. Now in pumps it Says Aux6 when it used to say Backwash

Added Feature Circuit called Backwash, with show in features selected.

msedge_kggUjVuEI1.png

Went Back to Pumps and there is no selection for Backwash. Only Aux 6

msedge_FITlkm2Yph.png

Weird... It worked for me when I went through all the same steps I listed out for you. The new Feature circuit "Backwash" showed up at the bottom of the circuit list.

I just tried it again and it took several minutes for the new 'Backwash' Feature circuit to show up. It will be at the bottom of the list.

Give it a minute for it to populate in the pumps circuit selection.

--Jeff

Weird... It worked for me when I went through all the same steps I listed out for you. The new Feature circuit "Backwash" showed up at the bottom of the circuit list.

I just tried it again and it took several minutes for the new 'Backwash' Feature circuit to show up. It will be at the bottom of the list.

Give it a minute for it to populate in the pumps circuit selection.

--Jeff

Hoooray. It worked... I had to refresh the webpage on the pump page. I cant thank you enough. I am going to try the other circuits now.

I have Fountain in Feature circuits and always have had it there. Why is it that there is no reference to it in the aux circuits section?

Reactions: Turbo1Ton

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.