Problem with SLAM

I get it. I hope you get some better luck dealing with it. I'm not so sure I can maintain it at 1/2 to 1 gal a day, but I'm going to try. If not I have 3 full buckets of tablets I can use and just not worry about the CYA level. Bought them when I bought the house because that's what the previous owner was using. Found this site and thought I would try liquid because everybody said it was better. Now ........ I'll just wait and see. Good luck.

I would try liquid because everybody said it was better
I doubt anyone on this forum told you it was better. What it is is DIFFERENT. Your pucks will add CYA to your pool and it won't go away. It will accumulate until it makes all chlorine ineffective.

We hope to teach you to be aware of the pitfalls of pucks and manage your pool accordingly.

Have you read the ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry? Good stuff!

This morning I changed the sand in my filter and I didn't find anything unusual there. It was almost ten years old anyways so it was overdue. It looked pretty clean inside so I'll be surprised if it changes anything but I am still holding out some hope.

Mike.

Mike, I'm going through a lot of chlorine also. Probably over around 64oz 12.5% per day for a 12000 gallon pool.

I think a problem with the SLAM process is that it doesn't account for pools that have auto fill. In Phoenix with every day over 105, my water level goes down about an inch each day. So it's always filling to keep the water level up, which will dilute Cl ppm.

So I will probably never pass the OCLT without shutting off the auto fill.

Your autofill has little effect on your chlorine level.

You are adding 5 ppm of FC per day. Not out of the realm in the SW desert at this time of year. If the pool is in pretty full sun, has swimmers, and a CYA of 50 ppm or so, that is not unusual.

My pool consumes about 4.5 ppm FC per day right now with a CYA of 70 ppm.

Your UV device is consuming some of your chlorine each day --- FYI.

I do not have an autofill here. My wife has just retired and so she is learning to care for the pool water and she has been adding 2 to 2.5 gallons of 12.5% per day in 18,000 gallons of water. Youwould think that it would be easy to find the source of our problem but I have tried everything that I know including changing the sand in the filter yesterday.

We had to go out after changing the sand so the last test that we took was yesterday at 2pmwhen FC equaled 15ppm. The next test was at noon today and FC eqaualed 10ppm. We added 1/2 gallon and will see what happens today and tonight with the new sand.

Mike.

When I tested my water today I found that in addition to using a lot of chlorine that my CYA had fallen to less than 30. It looks like it lost 10ppm. Is my CYA turning to ammonia? If so then why? The FC has been kept above shock level all along.

Mike.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I stopped my SLAM and have just kept a 7 to 9 FC and have a clean clear pool to swim in now. I have to attribute my larger use of chlorine to all the trees and plant life around my pool. The only scum I have ever seen is sometimes in the skimmer there is a small clear stuff floating around about the size of someone hocking a loogy and spitting in the skimmer. When I remove the basket full of leaves and wash out said basket, no more spit sized stuff. So I'm calling it good.

I stopped my SLAM and have just kept a 7 to 9 FC and have a clean clear pool to swim in now. I have to attribute my larger use of chlorine to all the trees and plant life around my pool. The only scum I have ever seen is sometimes in the skimmer there is a small clear stuff floating around about the size of someone hocking a loogy and spitting in the skimmer. When I remove the basket full of leaves and wash out said basket, no more spit sized stuff. So I'm calling it good.

So how much chlorine is it taking per day to maintain the 7 to 9 FC?

Your autofill has little effect on your chlorine level.

You are adding 5 ppm of FC per day. Not out of the realm in the SW desert at this time of year. If the pool is in pretty full sun, has swimmers, and a CYA of 50 ppm or so, that is not unusual.

My pool consumes about 4.5 ppm FC per day right now with a CYA of 70 ppm.

Your UV device is consuming some of your chlorine each day --- FYI.

mknauss: do you have a reference source I can review about UV-C systems consuming chlorine? I cannot find any information on that.

Last edited:
It is not significant from the low power lamps used in the residential pool systems, but all UV does breakdown the chlorine in the pool.

It looks like I've found the source of my problem - changing the sand in the filter has caused a big improvement. i didn't get a good overnight test yet but it is using much less chlorine.

Monday 6/29
11:45am
FC 10ppm
CC 0.0
ADDED 0.5 GALLONS 12.5% hcl (~3ppm) GIVING ~13ppm

7pm
FC 11PPM
CC 0.0
Lost ~2ppm over 7 1/4 hours
ADDED 1/2 GALLON HCL (~3PPM) giving ~14ppm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday 6/30
9am
FC 12.5ppm
lost 1.5ppm overnight, not great but much better
CC 0.0
added nothing

2pm
FC 12ppm
CC 0.0

7pm
FC 10.5
CC 0.5
added 1/2 gallon HCL giving about 13.5ppm
-----------------------------------
Wednesday 7/1
10:30am
FC 11ppm
used ~2.5ppm over 15.5 hours with some sunlight
CC 0.0
added 1/2 gallon HCL giving ~14ppm

4pm
FC 11ppm
used ~3ppm in 5.5 hours overcast sunlight
added 1/2 gallon HCL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.