problem CH and CYA levels

Welcome to the forum!
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
If your CYA is very high, then you need to drain and refill the pool with fresh water. With a fiberglass pool, there are a couple methods we can explain on how to do that.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

OK -- well -- that test kit does not test FC above 10 ppm. Plus we know the CH testing is rarely correct. But that is not a big issue for you.

You will need to do a very large water exchange. It would be nice to have an idea what your current CYA is. Will that test kit allow you to dilute the water sample and then multiply the result.

We prefer to provide guidance based on a titration test kit, specifically the Taylor K2006 or TF100 from TFTestkits.net.

Read the "draining - further reading". Can I turn my filter to waste and only let it pull from the skimmer and close off the main drain while filling pool with fresh water in the deep end and if it gets higher than the edge of the pool just let it run over? Would this give me the outcome and am looking for?

Your pump to waste will be at a pretty high rate. You might have to turn it on and off to let the fill water catch up. But do not stop once you start the process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like it will work. You should always be primarily pulling from the skimmer. A main drain is really not necessary in a pool.

I would adjust the water fill rate to what you can pump out. It is not good to run the pool over the top.

Where your coping meets the pool is rarely water tight - if water gets through there it can wash out dirt, etc. You should have an overflow on the pool if you have an issue with the pool getting over full.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.