Probably same ol' beginner questions

Sep 7, 2018
Kansas
Hello, 1st pool bought late last year just in time to pay to have it closed :oops:. Had it opened 2nd week in May. I've been learning and reading so much I think I have jinxed myself and now nothing makes sense. I've been told by my local pool maintenance and supply store (they have opened and closed this pool for 20 years) that I should run my pool pump 24/7. I just got another you tube video from "Swim University" that says to run my pump 8 hours. Link Deleted - TFP Mod
I know running it less will save electricity, but my local guys say "what I save in power I'll pay for in chemicals to treat the algae I'll get." I'm new and don't want to screw everything up. Right now the water is crystal clear, although I think I am using too much chlorine. PH is 7.2 steady and the free chlorine stays 1.0 to 1.5 but I'm loading 9 tablets into the system and it's going away in 4 days. Too much? I thought I would use around 5 per week or even 1 a day at most. The water temp has just gotten to 72 during the days and cooler at night. Not a lot of swimming yet, but getting a lot of exercise cleaning it. The local guys say I should shock it to bring the chlorine level up so the tablets can keep it steady. I'm just not sure what to do now.
Thanks, Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum!
Read the following links and post up your questions.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.