Priming Dry on Pentair Intelliflo VS

Dec 8, 2015
Dallas, TX
My 7 year old Intelliflo VS is 4' above the pool and has always taken a while to prime. But even if it takes a minute, it eventually primes. In a recent freeze I found the motor running, but not primed, no water in basket. My guess is this had gone on for a day or more. Now the motor only stays on at 1800 rpm for 3 sec, and 3450 for 6 sec, then shuts off with priming dry error. If the basket is kept full (using the hose bibb connection), same error occurs. Also, when the motor is turned on there is not a ripple in the water in the basket. So that sounds to me like the impellor is not turning? I have tried various priming settings with no change.

So after many hours of running dry, might the pump be damaged, and what might it be?

Yes, the pump might be damaged and the impeller broken or warped from the heat when running dry.

You can separate the motor from the wet end and take a look at it.

Lots of YouTube videos on how to disassemble pumps.

My 7 year old Intelliflo VS is 4' above the pool and has always taken a while to prime. But even if it takes a minute, it eventually primes. In a recent freeze I found the motor running, but not primed, no water in basket. My guess is this had gone on for a day or more. Now the motor only stays on at 1800 rpm for 3 sec, and 3450 for 6 sec, then shuts off with priming dry error. If the basket is kept full (using the hose bibb connection), same error occurs. Also, when the motor is turned on there is not a ripple in the water in the basket. So that sounds to me like the impellor is not turning? I have tried various priming settings with no change.

So after many hours of running dry, might the pump be damaged, and what might it be?
Open the pump, fill the pot as far as it will fill, turn the pump on with the lid off. Does the water "disappear?" if not the impeller is likely damaged. You can also take a short screwdriver and try turning the impeller after removing the basket. If it moves but the motor doesn't, bad impeller and possibly damaged sealplate as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.