Price from builder?

Zamsaf

May 2, 2018
Central fl
Hello all. I have a price from a builder for $42,500 382 sq ft pool. Salt system and 2 speed pump. In Central FL.

He is also putting in a color changing light and suction vacuum included in that price with some pavers around the pool. A screen would be an extra 9k.

Any feedback on this price? Is it reasonable? They’ve been around for almost 50 years so I trust them, but just want to double check. The builder said I don’t need a VS pump because the size of my pool won’t need it. Any advice for this newbie would be appreciated.

Post a complete equipment list with model numbers and what else is included in the pool quote.

In the United States, variable speed (VS) motors will be required for all pumps over 1.1 total HP as of July 18, 2021. Purchasing a single speed pump or a 2-speed pump now for a new pool is discouraged.

A VS speed pump can use 10% of the electrical cost of a SS pump.

A suction vacuum pool cleaner is the worst type to buy, and the cheapest. Install an electrical outlet by the pool and buy a Dolphin robot pool cleaner yourself.

Your builder is quoting a bunch of cheap stuff instead of giving you a quality pool that will last for years.

Z,

The only way to tell is for you to compare several quotes for the same pool. In most places, the neighborhood you are in has a lot to do with the price of the pool.

A 2-speed pump should work just fine, but you never want a single speed pump if you have a Saltwater pool.

We would need a lot more detail about the equipment and any features the pool might have before we could even guess about the price.

I am going to move your thread to the construction forum...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m already in contract but we haven’t started building. They’re prices are just about similar (a bit higher or lower) to what everyone else gave me. But they quoted me with a 2 speed pump instead of variable speed.

They did include the vacuum, light, extra jets to increase water circulation in the pool, and a colored light.

Just trying to figure out if I’m getting ripped off. Kind of having buyers remorse now that I see I should use a VS pump and getting a cheap vacuum. I’ll try to get model numbers and share them.

Z,

If you are not going to have a spa or a number of water features, then 2-speed pump should work just fine.. The good thing about a 2-speed pump is that you still save about 75% of what it would cost to run a Single Speed pump, but you don't have all the electronics that a VS pump has.

A 2-speed pump will cost less to replace down the road. But, if you just want a VS pump, now is the time to talk with your pool builder and see what you can work out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I don’t have a spa, but will have one bubbler and 3 small water jets. If I change to a VS pump down the road do I have to change anything else or only the pump?

I already feel a bit ripped off and I know now that he has my signature he is going to want more money for a VS pump.

What automation are you getting? How will the 2 speed pump be controlled?

A 2-speed pump will cost less to replace down the road.

Can a 2 speed pump be replaced with another 2 speed after July 2021? I think the Federal law will require replacement with a VS pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure your Hayward AquaRite SWG has a cell sized at least 2X your pool volume.

Im about 1 1/2 hours north of you and finished my pool in November. It looks a bit more expensive than mine was, but Orlando isnt Marion County, so its probably in line with being in Orlando.

What might be the best way to ask the builder to throw in a VS pump even though I signed the contract? He assured me dozens of times that I don't need it. However, seeing that it is going to be mandatory in the future, and that it is the better pump, I would like it, especially with the price I am paying.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.