Price from builder?

Z,

I know that single speed pumps over about 1 HP are going to be phased out, but I am not sure that rule applies to 2-speed pumps..

Jim R.

The new federal regulation states that self-priming filtration pumps past a certain horsepower threshold – whether residential or commercial – must meet an established performance standard. Right now, that performance standard is only satisfied by variable-speed pumps.

Z,

There is no such thing as "overkill" when it comes to VS pool pumps. The bigger the pump, the slower you can run it and still move a lot of water. The slower you run it the less it costs to run. The only downside is the initial cost....

It is your pool and not your pool builder's pool, so I suggest you get what you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I know with my system, when it got tossed in my lap, it took me a while to find out that I didnt have to have the pump set anywhere near as high as the original setting that the PB set for me. I have a setting now for just general flow (low), one for when the solar panels are on (medium) and a higher one when I want the jets to run. I know your PB says you dont need a VS pump, but tell him thats true, but you WANT one. That should be good enough for him.

What might be the best way to ask the builder to throw in a VS pump even though I signed the contract? He assured me dozens of times that I don't need it. However, seeing that it is going to be mandatory in the future, and that it is the better pump, I would like it, especially with the price I am paying.
I doubt he would throw it in. There's probably close to a $400 difference in price between the pumps (retail). I suppose you'll keep your pool open year round right? If so you'd recoup the cost in a reasonable time (unless electricity is dirt cheap by you). It would have taken me years to just break even when comparing a single speed to a VS 5 years ago since I only operate 5 months per year maximum. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.