linintx

Feb 21, 2021
Austin, TX area
I'm reviewing my preferred builder's proposal / quote - and was able to research all of the equipment pricing just to see how much / if he was marking it up. Everything seems to be reasonable except the spa jets. He doesn't have them broken out in the Equipment line item and I couldn't find a price for them online. He has eight additional jets as an option listed for $2,378 - which seems high to me.

Anyone know what these run cost-wise per jet?

I've seen sets of 3 pre-plumbed jets or $275. So that would equate to ~$92 a jet or ~$735 at a 15% markup that comes to $866. Elsewhere jets are like $50 a head max. Are there other costs he may be building in to the jets: installation, plumbing, ????

Welcome to TFP.

What is being provided for the 8 Parajets? Are you getting all four faceplates for each jet?

What is included for that price?

It's not broken out - I've seen the individual faceplates for $30 each online. So +$90 (assuming costs above would include one plate) x 8 = $720 + $735 = $1455 + markup = $1712 - so still a bit padded.

Also - how do pool builders feel about negotiating at this level? I'm a bit concerned if I really dig in at this level he might walk - given sales have doubled with the pandemic and people hunkering down more.

You have to expect the builder to charge you the retail price, about $45/jet, not his cost $30/jet. Nothing wrong with that.

I would first question exactly what you are getting before questioning prices. You have to know that first to have a knowledgable price discussion.

You will find places where the builder is making his profit. You can’t expect to drain it all out of the deal. This may be one of those places. Look at the larger cost structure and decide if you think it is fair.

It's not broken out - I've seen the individual faceplates for $30 each online. So +$90 (assuming costs above would include one plate) x 8 = $720 + $735 = $1455 + markup = $1712 - so still a bit padded.

Also - how do pool builders feel about negotiating at this level? I'm a bit concerned if I really dig in at this level he might walk - given sales have doubled with the pandemic and people hunkering down more.
Any update? Did he give you a breakdown? We're considering parajets but our builder has not offered them as an option as of yet and want to know what we're getting into.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.