Central Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Just curious what others preferred cya/fc levels are for salt water pool? I’ve seen the chart provided by TFP but just interested to see what levels work best for others.

Just curious what others preferred cya/fc levels are for salt water pool? I’ve seen the chart provided by TFP but just interested to see what levels work best for others.

The chart is what we follow. FC/CYA Levels
If you want to maintain a pool with zero algae...ever, the chart is what you should also follow.

If you want to maintain a pool with zero algae...ever, the chart is what you should also follow.
That’s my goal, attempting to get my levels up now- almost there. Just wondered what others exact preferences were for their pool since the chart provides multiple levels. Hoping once we reach those higher levels the rest of the pool season is a breeze in keeping everything balanced 🤞🏼

W,

My saltwater pool works best when I keep my CYA about 70 to 80 and my FC at my target of 6 or higher.

I never try to keep my FC between my minimum and my target. Just too much effort for no gain.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the response! My first year maintaining the water so I’m slowly learning!

I learned the hard way stay in the upper range. My CYA is 80 and I keep
My FC around 7 or 8.
I also maintain FC at roughly 10% of CYA, which is a suggestion I’ve heard from several TFP Experts.

The chart is what we follow. FC/CYA Chart
My beef with the chart is that the experts here really don’t follow it, especially for SWCG. For example, most TFP Experts will tell you that the “target” FC on the SWCG chart is actually the minimum. This finally sunk in and now, as recommended, I keep FC at 7-8 for my CYA of 70-80. I just wish someone would change the chart to reflect the actual recommendations. At least add a range for FC on the SWCG chart like there is on the LC chart. It would eliminate a lot of confusion, as referencing a single number as the target infers that you shouldn’t be above it.

experts here really don’t follow it, especially for SWCG.
IF you follow it, you will have no issues. BUT, it is very easy to fall below the minimum when riding that level. So IF YOU wish to ride a minimum level, do it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also maintain FC at roughly 10% of CYA, which is a suggestion I’ve heard from several TFP Experts.

My beef with the chart is that the experts here really don’t follow it, especially for SWCG. For example, most TFP Experts will tell you that the “target” FC on the SWCG chart is actually the minimum. This finally sunk in and now, as recommended, I keep FC at 7-8 for my CYA of 70-80. I just wish someone would change the chart to reflect the actual recommendations. At least add a range for FC on the SWCG chart like there is on the LC chart. It would eliminate a lot of confusion, as referencing a single number as the target infers that you shouldn’t be above it.
Your response definitely helps with the confusion I have from the chart, so thank you!

Reactions: jark87

The chart is mathematically correct and works as written. It is not that the chart is incorrect, but that I am lazy.. :mrgreen:

I find that it takes much more testing and effort to micromanage my cell's output to stay between my minimum and my target. Since there is just no downside to having a little too much FC, I take the easier path.

Thanks,

Jim R.

My beef with the chart is that the experts here really don’t follow
So TFPC was designed for absolute efficiency from a minimalist approach.

Consider it like a building code which is pretty much the minimum allowed for public safety. You may always do *more* than code. Want that raised deck extra sturdy with twice the support ? Feel free as you haven't dipped below minimum code.

Like Jim and Marty said, the closer you get to code, the more you have to pay attention.

Reactions: WWeddle
The chart is mathematically correct and works as written. It is not that the chart is incorrect
Yep, I get it. I’m not suggesting that the chart is incorrect, only that the recommendations you get from the Experts don’t align with it. And don’t get me wrong - I love TFP! I really don’t have a horse in the race because I don’t need to reference the chart any longer, unless I need to SLAM. It’s more for new members, who are directed to the chart and try to hit the “target.” That was me up until around 5 years ago and I had a minor algae outbreak. I was then told that maintaining a FC level of 5 was too low and only the minimum. I highly doubt I’m the only one who will fall into that trap when it could be avoided with a simple FC range on the chart.

Consider it like a building code which is pretty much the minimum allowed for public safety. You may always do *more* than code.
Again, I appreciate the TFP approach and I have a beautiful pool because of it! You’re kind of making my point for me though. If you’re suggesting that the “target” is analogous to a building code and therefore the minimum, why not have the chart reflect that? Unfortunately, I somehow became addicted to this site during the lock down and now read the threads often, but not nearly as much as you guys. I know you have to see the same confusion around the SWCG chart as I do. I’ve read many Expert responses that state that the “target” is the minimum. All I’m saying is that you could help members by having the chart reflect the recommendations or at least include a FC range so that people understand that going above the target is ok.

Regardless - keep up the good TFP work! The site is AWESOME!

Yep, I get it. I’m not suggesting that the chart is incorrect, only that the recommendations you get from the Experts don’t align with it. And don’t get me wrong - I love TFP! I really don’t have a horse in the race because I don’t need to reference the chart any longer, unless I need to SLAM. It’s more for new members, who are directed to the chart and try to hit the “target.” That was me up until around 5 years ago and I had a minor algae outbreak. I was then told that maintaining a FC level of 5 was too low and only the minimum. I highly doubt I’m the only one who will fall into that trap when it could be avoided with a simple FC range on the chart.

Again, I appreciate the TFP approach and I have a beautiful pool because of it! You’re kind of making my point for me though. If you’re suggesting that the “target” is analogous to a building code and therefore the minimum, why not have the chart reflect that? Unfortunately, I somehow became addicted to this site during the lock down and now read the threads often, but not nearly as much as you guys. I know you have to see the same confusion around the SWCG chart as I do. I’ve read many Expert responses that state that the “target” is the minimum. All I’m saying is that you could help members by having the chart reflect the recommendations or at least include a FC range so that people understand that going above the target is ok.

Regardless - keep up the good TFP work! The site is AWESOME!

I see posts here all the time where people new to TFP try to maintain FC at or near “minimum” on the chart and fail. They don’t understand why since they were following the chart as they understood it, and gives the impression that the TFP method doesn’t work as advertised. If they stick around, they’ll learn to stay well away from the minimum FC level.

Technically, the chart is correct. But in common practice with real people with real life distractions and varying environments, trying to maintain the minimum FC level doesn’t work.

Personally, I’d like to see the “minimum” column eliminated. Treat “target” as the minimum. And yes, perhaps a target range for SWCG users would make it clearer that going over the current single “target” number is fine (and takes the pressure off of having to monitor FC so closely).

Personally (with a SWCG), I target CYA 70-80 and FC 7-10 (though higher FC doesn’t hurt anything). I never get algae or cloudy water and don’t worry about trying to keep a strict testing schedule.

😀

So TFPC was designed for absolute efficiency from a minimalist approach.

Consider it like a building code which is pretty much the minimum allowed for public safety. You may always do *more* than code. Want that raised deck extra sturdy with twice the support ? Feel free as you haven't dipped below minimum code.

Like Jim and Marty said, the closer you get to code, the more you have to pay attention.
I test and if it’s above 5 I don’t care. I do the same with PH, use to add acid every couple of days aiming for the perfect number and finally decided there is a range for a reason and add a little bit every 2 or 3 weeks :)

Also understand your not telling your SWG to keep it at 5 your telling it to add x amount of chlorine daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.