Pre-Rust Protection: Intex Prism Rectangular Frame Pool

Perdk

Feb 16, 2020
Thailand
Will be receiving and setting up my Intex Prism Frame Pool next week. Will be an all-around-year setup. Plan is to build a high-deck around it.

Not knowing much about pools, I ordered a Saltwater system, but then found out that Intex Frame pools can have problems with rust, some only after 1-2 years. I would really hate to have to take down the pool and replace it after a short while, especially since I will be building the deck around it.

So was thinking about solutions/ideas to pre-protect it before adding the salt. It seems most rust cases I have read about have problems with the corners, not so much the legs. But overall the problem seems to be related to all the metal parts, that are free/visible and not covered with the lining (Which of course make kind of sense)

28316a.jpg

I was thinking about first covering those parts (legs and corner frames) with some kind of rust-protector before assembly, But also finding something plastic, like e.g. pump hose that could fit around the frame like a cover to protect that further. I know would not look good, but does not matter in my case, as I would have a wooden deck to the top of the pool, so legs etc would not be visible.

Have anyone tried to do something like this pre-setup? and if so, do you have any better ideas? I have read a lot of posts about rust, but they seem to be mostly about action needed after the problem has happened.

Reactions: Sarah2
I had a prism frame for 2 years that rusted to failure. Before deciding to get a permanent pool for this spring, I was going with another, but bigger, prism frame. (already bought it actually) My plan was to coat the entire pool structure (inside and out) with rustoleum. Then, I was going to cover all the railing where they connect with the T's so water wouldn't touch them, like in the following : https://www.troublefreepool.com/wik..._Pools#How_to_Prevent_Intex_Pool_from_Rusting
Good luck with your build.

Reactions: Perdk
I had a prism frame for 2 years that rusted to failure. Before deciding to get a permanent pool for this spring, I was going with another, but bigger, prism frame. (already bought it actually) My plan was to coat the entire pool structure (inside and out) with rustoleum. Then, I was going to cover all the railing where they connect with the T's so water wouldn't touch them, like in the following : https://www.troublefreepool.com/wik..._Pools#How_to_Prevent_Intex_Pool_from_Rusting
Good luck with your build.

I am coating with Rusroleum right now. Not the most fun job, but hopefully will be worth it.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Check out the "pool flaps" section of the link found in post #2.

That was my primary solution (in addition to adding extra coats of Rust-Oleum to the open end of the poles and a bit of silicone to seal the bottoms) and I'm starting my second season with absolutely no rust (my last pool failed after one season).

The rectangular looks only have openings at the corners. You could probably get away with 1 sq yard of vinyl.

Good luck!

I had an intex ultraframe pool rust out in about 1.5 years. I replaced it with an intex XTR pool.

The XTR pool has two big advantages over the regular ultraframe and prism frame. The XTR pools are powder coated on both the inside and outside, but even more importantly than that (and I don’t really see this mentioned often) is the fact that the XTR pools also use galvanized steel. Galvanized steel is much less prone to rusting and even if the powder coat is scratched or damaged and water and salt and chlorine is able to get to the bare metal it will be much less likely to rust due to the galvanization.

I’ve seen a number of posts where people suggest coating the inside of the metal parts on ultraframe and prism frame pools to help protect the bare metal there and while that certainly can’t hurt, in the end I question just how much it will help because those pools are not made with galvanized steel. If there is a little scratch or damage to the coating anywhere that water and salt and chlorine can get to the bare metal then it will start rusting very quickly and easily.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news if you already own this pool, but in my opinion if you want an intex pool that will last more than a few seasons, especially in a more permanent installation then I really think you need to go with an XTR pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have read a review of an XTR with rust after the first season. (i'll see if I can find it again and link it). I think it will be a couple years or so before we know how good they actually are though. Seems reviews on all of their pools are all over the place. Some people have the metal frame for years, while others have one that lasts a season or two.

I'm very curious to see how these XTR models actually perform in regards to rust. They've only been available for a year, correct?
Not sure on when they became available, but Intex warranties the Ultra XTR series for two years.

All other Intex pools series are only warrantied for 90 days. That should tell you something.

Paint is very bad at protecting against rust. Even one tiny imperfection or scratch and it'll fail. This is why most things are zinc electroplated or hot dipped in zinc. That will protect even if scratched or missing in areas.

XTR pool rusted after 6 months.

As the owner of an XTR pool, that is very disturbing to see. However, the XTR pools are warranted for two years, so you should be able to get that part replaced.

On a side note, I don’t believe that the ladder is made of galvanized steel, so I guess I’m not too surprised to see that rusting. However, the frame of the pool definitely should not be. My XTR pool is just reaching the 6 month mark and so far it is remaining rust free. I don’t use the intex ladder, so I can’t speak to the ladder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.