PPM Bromine Decay Daily?

hotubbie

May 17, 2020
Dallas
I have a new 450 gallon hot tub and have been measuring how much Bromine levels drop when not being influenced through the additions of tabs or concentrate. It looks like my hot tub loses about 10 or more ppm per day without anyone swimming in the tub. My typical use is to keep the tub at around 102 degrees with the cover in place. Is it normal to have a Bromine ppm decay in 24 hours of this amount? My hot tub does have Ozone and UV cleaners built in.

When in use the UV helps kill pathogens, but it also breaks down bromine and really shouldn't be on when not in use. Ozone will oxidize the bromide back to bromine, so you should actually be seeing an increase in bromine. 10 ppm loss is excessive.

Are you able to turn off the ozone and UV and run the experiment again to see what your Br loss is without them?

My hot tub is controlled by a Balboa system with the TP600 control panel. I have looked in the manuals and I can't find a way to temporarily or permanent disable either the ozone or UV. The tub has a dedicated continuous filter pump so it constantly filters and the Balboa manual states that the ozonater will run with the filter pump.

No. I am on a second fill now. I just purchased some Ahh-some and will use it at the next empty and refill. So far the water seems to be very stable now, so I'll monitor a bit further to see if the ppm continues to decay quickly. What should the normal bromine ppm decay be (without a floater or other addition) for a 450 gallon tub?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.