Posting builder quotes?

In case its ok, if not can delete....first bid .....based on size, equipment, how bad or good is this quote? East Houston Area

I dont want a big pool but this seems a little small for the price to me.

Attachments

• bid.png
    bid.png
    82.3 KB · Views: 776
Crazy how much different prices are in different states. Here in NorCal for me with no spa, 34x16 with raised wall and a few water descents is $75k. Got multiple quotes and they are within range of each other too.

Just paid in full for my 18x36 rectangular steel wall liner pool, vermiculite bottom with heat pump, VSP and SWCG. With electric and dry well I’m at about $46k. Still have to pay for decking/coping.

Well, the cost of the pool isn't linearly related to size. It probably wouldn't cost much more for a bigger pool or much less for a smaller one.

Well builder as you can see at bottom put in a $8100 upcharge for a bigger pool.

Based on equipement, is hayward stuff any good? A friend of mine who used these guys has had two pumps go out in the first month....seems odd.

First of all, I'm very jealous of that price. In Dallas, the price for a pool/spa would be $10-$20k more at least.

I do see some "opportunities" to spend extra money:
- Tile is the standard tile. Not sure what that means, but you may end up wanting to upgrade that.
- Sod/Fence/Irrigation repairs are not included - If you currently have an irrigation or fence that will need to be repaired, be prepared for several thousand for that.
- The 250k BTU heater is fine, but a 400K BTU is better and will heat up the spa quicker.
- I cant tell if this has automation. I see a line for Blower Smartphone App controls. Is that just to turn on/off the blower? Can you do anything else?
- Aquanaut 200 Automatic Cleaner - This is a suction cleaner and generally considered the oldest/least advanced type of cleaning. I would see about a Robot cleaner, or just have the builder give you a credit so you can buy your own (~$600+).

Hope that helps. Regardless of that being an amazing price, I would still get multiple quotes.

First of all, I'm very jealous of that price. In Dallas, the price for a pool/spa would be $10-$20k more at least.

I do see some "opportunities" to spend extra money:
- Tile is the standard tile. Not sure what that means, but you may end up wanting to upgrade that.
- Sod/Fence/Irrigation repairs are not included - If you currently have an irrigation or fence that will need to be repaired, be prepared for several thousand for that.
- The 250k BTU heater is fine, but a 400K BTU is better and will heat up the spa quicker.
- I cant tell if this has automation. I see a line for Blower Smartphone App controls. Is that just to turn on/off the blower? Can you do anything else?
- Aquanaut 200 Automatic Cleaner - This is a suction cleaner and generally considered the oldest/least advanced type of cleaning. I would see about a Robot cleaner, or just have the builder give you a credit so you can buy your own (~$600+).

Hope that helps. Regardless of that being an amazing price, I would still get multiple quotes.

thank you for the feedback.
I’m not clear on the automation either as this was his first bid to me. I will find out.

as far as plumbing(size) and equipment, do you see anything else that sticks out as needing upgrade?

btw I am building a new house on a empty cleared lot so nothing to worry about with damage to lawn or gates etc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the same company that gave a bid to a friend of mine back in january...they went with pretty much with this setup....somewhere they cut out 3k as they paid 56k out the door. They seem to be happy.

I went out yesterday and took pics of their equipment and will post here shortly. I liked the Hayward controls, they had a remote control that they could do their programming timing, manual turn spa on etc.

Attachments

• friend qupte.jpg
    friend qupte.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 146
Herr are the pics.
400k heater. My question would be, if I only ever want to heat hot tub, is 250 enough? I am in Houston area so never super cold.

Blower- is that needed? On my hot top I have currently, I have little screw top adjustments on the top of my spa deck that I can open or close to let it more air....its plenty of air and force. Friend said this blower blows too hard for their liking and they usually kick it on for a second to get it started and then turn it off.

I will not be going salt.

She just has a leaf vac in her pool and the vac goes to an extra pump basket...I guess it runs all the time.....when variable pump runs 100% it runs faster when its down it barely moves?
I kind of like that vs a robot? My does this not seem popular? I have a polaris now with a booster pump....this will cut out the booster.
I will be in an area with zero trees, probably just some grass clippings and maybe blown sand from beach would be only debris.

She said jump rock was a waste, they took it back from the quote.

She added 4 umbrella slots in deck which I like and the deck drains....and gutter drain into the deck.

Attachments

• 97921BB5-DEB3-4B2B-8885-049119E628A2.jpeg
    97921BB5-DEB3-4B2B-8885-049119E628A2.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 142
  • A7452D0A-8056-4C8E-98D5-F474282D6945.jpeg
    A7452D0A-8056-4C8E-98D5-F474282D6945.jpeg
    296.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 81C8C744-BF75-4EB7-B246-E47139720934.jpeg
    81C8C744-BF75-4EB7-B246-E47139720934.jpeg
    425.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 2E554663-74BE-4C81-8E32-17FE0315BADE.jpeg
    2E554663-74BE-4C81-8E32-17FE0315BADE.jpeg
    280.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 761DFD5B-2957-4A62-AFEC-C665FC54ADE4.jpeg
    761DFD5B-2957-4A62-AFEC-C665FC54ADE4.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 135
  • 2B19F88D-B7B8-4189-9539-C4F11067B06F.jpeg
    2B19F88D-B7B8-4189-9539-C4F11067B06F.jpeg
    233.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 354CA802-3893-4311-A270-5360AEDFA1A8.jpeg
    354CA802-3893-4311-A270-5360AEDFA1A8.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Any thoughts on the equipment there? For 56K seems like a pretty good build unless there is something in there that is junk?

Sorry, I dont know Hayward equipment.

On the heater, like I said earlier, the 250k is fine but the 400k is better. For example, last night at dinner the kids said "Can we get into the spa after dinner?". With the 400k heater, I was able to raise it from 70 degrees to 95 in about 20 minutes which was just enough time for us to finish dinner and get our suits on. The 250k would be slower, I have no idea how much slower, but I like the flexibility to use it on a whim vs needing to plan an hour or two in advance.

On the cleaner, if you are good with a suction cleaner then go for it. I'll just point out that it is older technology, ties up a skimmer, and based on your comment above you have to run your pump faster to get it to work.

Reactions: 4x4tx
We are also on the east side of Houston in Summerwood. These prices are in line with what we are paying for our pool. We started out at about $40K for the pool spa package and by the time we got done adding everything that we wanted we were up to $56K.

We did go with the 400K heater because a neighbor who had upgraded from the 250K told us how much faster it heats the spa. He says he can turn it on when he leaves his office and it is hot by the time he gets home 25 minutes later.

We also upgraded to the multicolor LED lights, and the Omni PL automation system. I see you are being quoted for a subpanel, the Omni PL has the subpanel within it so it eliminates one extra box on the side of the house. For us there was the added benefit of the Omni PL being available with the SWCG included and actually cost alot less than buying each of the items separately.

One other thing I noticed was that you are only getting one skimmer, I would upgrade that to two. We have one on each end of the pool because the wind direction in our neighborhood is almost always from one side or the other.

Here is what I would do:

• Ask for details about what is the Top-E-Bottom (T2B) cleaning & Circulation System. Get an explanation fo how it works and what equipment it uses. These infloor cleaning systems are complex. Some people love them and some people hate them. They do not clean sufficiently for some peoples pool environment. IO have never heard of an infloor cleaning system manufacturer by that name. The major manufacturer of IFCS is A&A Manufacturing . Understand where you would get spare parts and maintenance for your IFCS.
  • Why does it include an Aquanut 200 Automatic Cleaner when you are getting this fancy T2B system? The Aquanaut is a low end suction pool cleaner. Get a credit for it and separately buy a Dolphin pool cleaner from Marina Pools. Install an outlet near the pool to plug the robot into. Question if the robot will get hing up on the T2B infloor returns.
  • Get two skimmers. If you have one skimmer and it has a problem your pool is down. With two skimmers you can have one plugged or leaking and still have your pool operational while youd eal with the problem.
  • Hayward has 3 different Tristar VS pumps. Which one are you getting? TriStar VS | Pumps | In Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products
  • Get the 400K gas heater. Check what your current gas meter service is and if you will need a gas service upgrade for a 250K heater or 400K heater and what is involved. The contract says the gas service upgrade is on your nickel.
  • You are in Houston where builders do not like SWG's. But using an Inline Chlorinator will require you to drain your pool once or twice a year to keep your CYA level in check. You can insist on a SWG now or not be surprised at seeing the light after a year or two of pool ownership.
  • You want minimum 2" suction lines and on all pool equipment and 1.5" returns
  • You want all diverter valves used and no ball valves
  • How will bubblers be plumbed and controlled? Will bubblers have independent valves?
  • Get the Hayward OmniPL automation

Reactions: Scout101
We are also on the east side of Houston in Summerwood. These prices are in line with what we are paying for our pool. We started out at about $40K for the pool spa package and by the time we got done adding everything that we wanted we were up to $56K.

We did go with the 400K heater because a neighbor who had upgraded from the 250K told us how much faster it heats the spa. He says he can turn it on when he leaves his office and it is hot by the time he gets home 25 minutes later.

We also upgraded to the multicolor LED lights, and the Omni PL automation system. I see you are being quoted for a subpanel, the Omni PL has the subpanel within it so it eliminates one extra box on the side of the house. For us there was the added benefit of the Omni PL being available with the SWCG included and actually cost alot less than buying each of the items separately.

One other thing I noticed was that you are only getting one skimmer, I would upgrade that to two. We have one on each end of the pool because the wind direction in our neighborhood is almost always from one side or the other.

Ok great you are too far away from me.

I agree on the 400k heater.

So in the pic of my friends, is their hayward oncommand system different than the omni PL automation?

Can you send a pic of your equipment?

Agreed on two skimmers, If you look at my friends bid/pool they got, I am leaning towards getting that duplicated for me...He paid 56K out the door.

Thank you

Here is what I would do:

• Ask for details about what is the Top-E-Bottom (T2B) cleaning & Circulation System. Get an explanation fo how it works and what equipment it uses. These infloor cleaning systems are complex. Some people love them and some people hate them. They do not clean sufficiently for some peoples pool environment. IO have never heard of an infloor cleaning system manufacturer by that name. The major manufacturer of IFCS is A&A Manufacturing . Understand where you would get spare parts and maintenance for your IFCS.
  • Why does it include an Aquanut 200 Automatic Cleaner when you are getting this fancy T2B system? The Aquanaut is a low end suction pool cleaner. Get a credit for it and separately buy a Dolphin pool cleaner from Marina Pools. Install an outlet near the pool to plug the robot into. Question if the robot will get hing up on the T2B infloor returns.
  • Get two skimmers. If you have one skimmer and it has a problem your pool is down. With two skimmers you can have one plugged or leaking and still have your pool operational while youd eal with the problem.
  • Hayward has 3 different Tristar VS pumps. Which one are you getting? TriStar VS | Pumps | In Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products
  • Get the 400K gas heater. Check what your current gas meter service is and if you will need a gas service upgrade for a 250K heater or 400K heater and what is involved. The contract says the gas service upgrade is on your nickel.
  • You are in Houston where builders do not like SWG's. But using an Inline Chlorinator will require you to drain your pool once or twice a year to keep your CYA level in check. You can insist on a SWG now or not be surprised at seeing the light after a year or two of pool ownership.
  • You want minimum 2" suction lines and on all pool equipment and 1.5" returns
  • You want all diverter valves used and no ball valves
  • How will bubblers be plumbed and controlled? Will bubblers have independent valves?
  • Get the Hayward OmniPL automation

Thank you for the reply.

I wondered about the T2B..honestly not even sure what that was other than when looking at my friends pool I noticed instead of circle drains it had a long narrow metal looking drain in the deep end. I will find out more.

Think aquaut is there "base" cleaner throw into all packages....I will cut that out and go with what my friend did, the leaf vac system or the robot.

Agreed on 2 skimmers. Please look at my friends bid I attached (same company), I am going to switch gears and try to copy their setup.

Good point on pump, I will find out. not sure if you can tell in pic I posted from friends equipment pic?

Agreed on 400k heater.

As for SWG, I have been using the liquid chlorine method on my current pool....are you suggest that a SWG is better than that or more cost effective?

Good points on suction lines and return sizes....and diverter valves. Will note those.

Bubblers will be cut out, dont want a sundeck or bubblers.

Is hayward omniPL automation the same as heyward oncommand system with remote?

Thanks again

The quote says 8 Eco Jet Returns - are they int he floor or on the pool walls?

Your friend got an Aquarite Salt system. If you are happy lugging chlorine jugs and tracking down chlorine sources forever then you can continue with liquid chlorine. That is more work then I will do when over time you will spend about the same for a salt system as you do for the liquid chlorine jugs. Not even considering your time and hassles.

Your friend got a larger filter, which is good, and the 400K heater.

OmniPL is Haywards latest automation system. OnCommand is a low end entry level automation system.

Reactions: 4x4tx

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.