Post plaster seeing water leak in the pool

Vas22

Silver Supporter
Oct 23, 2021
Dallas, TX
Hi All,

We had plaster done yesterday morning and this morning when I checked see the water in the pool. Any concerns and what should I do? Attached are the photos

Thank you
Vasu

Attachments

• 19765F8F-57E6-41BB-974A-6B88398CA347.jpeg
    19765F8F-57E6-41BB-974A-6B88398CA347.jpeg
    253.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 9E70EFDB-AB5E-41A8-8B68-8B03A19F8938.jpeg
    9E70EFDB-AB5E-41A8-8B68-8B03A19F8938.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 68
It looks more like water entered the pool from either the drains or the returns, not actually through the plaster. But it's still could be bad. That standing water can leave permanent stains, as new plaster is susceptible to that. They're supposed to cap off all the plumbing penetrations while applying the plaster, to keep plaster out of the pipes and water off the new plaster, though I'm not sure how that's done with the type of drains you have. No matter, you're on the right track: a conversation with the PB. But you might bring up the possibility of staining and how he intends to correct it. If they do the typical post-plastering acid wash, that might be all that is required. Acid washing is done to new pebble, but shouldn't be done to new plaster (non-pebble surface). I'm guessing you have pebble, since I think with plaster they fill the pool immediately. Pebble they wait and do an acid wash the next day, then fill it.

Which is why I actually chimed in. This might be the last day your pool is ever 100% empty, so you have a unique opportunity. Just before they fill the pool, and you have to keep your eye on them 'cause it happens immediately after they're done, go out and read your water meter. Take a snap shot of the numbers. When the pool finishes filling (usually when the water reaches midway up the skimmer opening), turn off the hose and go out and read the meter again. The difference between the two readings will be the water volume of your pool. You'll probably find it to be quite different than what they told you it was going to be. Either way, you'll use this now accurate number for calculating pool chemical dosing, so the better the number, the more accurately you'll be able to dose.

You can increase the accuracy of the number by minimizing water use elsewhere while the pool is filling: turn off your irrigation system, take a day off from laundry and dishwashing, minimize showers and flushes, etc. The less water you use in and around the house, the more accurate your pool volume number will be.

Congrats on the new pool!

Edit: Awk! Mike beat me to it, because I was blathering on while he was typing faster!! ;)

Once they start the fill, don't stop it for any reason. Like don't turn it off tonight and start it up in the morning. It's got to be continuous, otherwise you'll get a permanent ring stain where you stop. So if it's looking like you'll be finishing in the middle of the night, you'll just have to stay up, or get up periodically to check on it. You might want to put a small piece of duct tape on the tile next to the skimmer, halfway up the opening, so that your stopping point is easy to see. The water refraction will play tricks on your eyes once the water goes into the skimmer, and halfway won't be so obvious, especially in the dark with a flashlight...

If you have a spa, be sure you don't let it overflow into the pool until the pool is full. That can stain the plaster as well!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like you do have a spa. If you fill the pool first, then check the meter, then fill the spa and check the meter a third time, you'll have your three numbers: pool, spa and total. Not really necessary, though, as it's the total you'll use for dosing calculations. I'd want to know the volumes of each body, but I have no idea why! 🤪

Thanks a lot Dirk. Yes we have pool and spa. They filled spa first. Now filling the pool. Thank you for the tips. Will follow them.

Attachments

• 467947C9-1DF2-4922-960F-815A9234434C.jpeg
    467947C9-1DF2-4922-960F-815A9234434C.jpeg
    567.3 KB · Views: 29
Back to your original question, do you have a high water table and a hydrostatic valve? Could have been ground water that was allowed in by that valve.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.