Post Flood Cleaning

Mar 3, 2018
Salado/TX
We had torrential rainfall at my house and the flood waters ran over my pool. I shut off power to my pump equipment. What are the steps to get the pool cleaned. Mine is fiberglass with salt water generator.

Attachments

• 23659A6C-DA87-4F52-A60D-0855144F3E75.jpeg
    23659A6C-DA87-4F52-A60D-0855144F3E75.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 69
Safety first my friend. Make sure nothing with power gets wet. Once that's good, pump water out of that pool so it's not flowing over the coping or between the shell and coping. If any dirt got in the pool, be patient. It will take time to clear. You may need to SLAM, but just watch your levels closely for the next few days.

Yeah, we got pounded today.

full

Reactions: JMadden
With that kind of water running into the pool, you are going to have a thick layer of sediment on the bottom. I know first-hand. What I did was floc the pool so everything sinks and then vacuum to waste. If you go this route, don't pump any water from the pool as you'll go through a lot when vacuuming.

My bad, I didn't know you can't vacuum to waste with a cartridge filter. How in the world would you vacuum out mud on the bottom then?
Carefully. :) Here are 3 options I can think of:
1 - Filter/vacuum like normal and rinse the cartridge(s) very often (UGH!)
2 - Install a 3-way valve between the pump and filter which would allow waste to get by-passed; MUCH like a MPV
3 - Rent an auxiliary sump pump to by-pass your main filter and pump junk to waste that way

Carefully. :) Here are 3 options I can think of:
1 - Filter/vacuum like normal and rinse the cartridge(s) very often (UGH!)
2 - Install a 3-way valve between the pump and filter which would allow waste to get by-passed; MUCH like a MPV
3 - Rent an auxiliary sump pump to by-pass your main filter and pump junk to waste that way
My pool installer said to run my pump about 2500 rpm 24-7 and keep the cartridges clean. Option 3 sounds good once I it settles to bottomw.

Do not drop the water level in the pool very far while you are doing that. Your area is saturated with water. The shell could pop out of the ground.

Reactions: JMadden and mah2496

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To be clear, no one is saying to lower the pool volume excessively. That goes without saying. Only lower enough to get the waterline back to normal (top of the skimmer perhaps) so it's not flowing up & over the lip of the shell. We don't want excessive water having the ability to constantly seep between the shell and its surrounding soil and/or down to the base if it can happen - dependent upon the type of coping of course. If allowed to do that, it can compromise the shell's support. Many of us got slammed in Texas yesterday and last night. I just finished removing excess water from my pool that was well-over the shell's lip and up to the decking. No bueno.

One last question. Just noticed the valve on my return line looks like it shows "closed" but all my jets are running. I have never turned this valve (yet); been this way since my pool was installed. Which direction should my handle be in?

Attachments

• IMG_6236.JPG
    IMG_6236.JPG
    471.3 KB · Views: 27
One last question. Just noticed the valve on my return line looks like it shows "closed" but all my jets are running. I have never turned this valve (yet); been this way since my pool was installed. Which direction should my handle be in?

The water goes into a T feeding two pipes. That valve that is closed only blocks one outlet.

I have never turned this valve (yet); been this way since my pool was installed.
I have a similar set-up, and my valve (normally closed like your is right now), goes to a separate stub-out for a fountain. I only use it occasionally. Do you have such a feature or extra stub-out somewhere?

I have a similar set-up, and my valve (normally closed like your is right now), goes to a separate stub-out for a fountain. I only use it occasionally. Do you have such a feature or extra stub-out somewhere?
Something else Ive noticed with my Hayward c7030 filter is the gauge typically sits at zero PSI, unless I run the quick clean mode on my pump which increases PSI to 4-5. Been like this since my pool was installed. Is that normal?

When my pool installer suggested running my pumps at constant 2500 rpm to filter the flood water, he said my PSI would likely go high and I may have to clean the filters daily. Ive run the pump at 2500 rpm for a little over 24 hours now but my PSI are still low and water doesn’t appear any cleaner.

Thoughts?

Something else Ive noticed with my Hayward c7030 filter is the gauge typically sits at zero PSI, unless I run the quick clean mode on my pump which increases PSI to 4-5. Been like this since my pool was installed. Is that normal?
I think you are fine at the moment. My Hayward is a single cart, but it acts the same way. Next to no psi registers on low, but when I Put it on high the PSI jumps up a bit. With a VSP, your psi can vary a bit. Also, because you have a 4-cart filter, it has a much larger capacity to hold dirt and junk whereas mine must be rinsed about every 3 weeks or so. That's one of the benefits of having a larger filter. So just watch it. When you finally do see a fairly higher psi jump with the pump on a higher rpm, it may be time to clean. When you do, reassemble and run the filter on high once more and make note of the clean/high rpm psi reading. Jot that down for future reference as your "baseline" pressure. Over the months, make note of the reading on that same rpm. When it increases by 25%, it's time to clean.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.