Possible water under liner

Consider an offseason liner change this year. Liner changes from april to august are hard to come by, as all installers are slammed with work. Dont buy a new liner from anyone who tells you that wrinkles are common. Keep calling to find someone who cna get the work done for you.

I was thinking after I patch and roll, I can place a large, flat steel plate on top of the patch with a 25 lb plate on top of that as it cures. Is that a good idea?

I also had a tear along a bottom seam...I glued a round patch and fashioned a piece of 3/4 inch wood to just fit over the patch and set a ten lb rock on the top of it for 24 hrs, it did stop the leak.

Also to your side that has slipped out of the track at the top of the liner, I drained 5-6 inches of water just so I would have extra material to stretch and used a hair dryer
to heat the liner across a broad swath under the area that needs to be re-hung. This worked well and then I put in those pointed plastic shims made to pin liners in the track, that worked well also.

best of luck

Reactions: mwemaxxowner
I've read about both of these ways to stretch that back up, I've just yet to try them 🤦🏼‍♂️. I have some of the shims. Thanks all!

Unless it starts tearing on us left and right I'm probably going to hold off on a liner a bit longer than that.

I think I'll do the same, set a piece of lumber over the patch and a weight instead of a piece of steel. Something a little more forgiving on the liner.

Last edited:
Reactions: mariane
The boxer patch seems to be sealing the hole. I don't really like placing one of those patches. It doesn't seem to "stick" and just wants to move around as you try to press it down or roll it. I held it still with one hand the best I could and rolled it with the other. Placed a square of lumber over it, then a 25lb plate and two 12x12 stepping stones which I left in place several days. It appears to be holding and the water under the liner looks to be subsiding.

Thursday at 10:37 AM

The boxer patch seems to be sealing the hole. I don't really like placing one of those patches. It doesn't seem to "stick" and just wants to move around as you try to press it down or roll it. I held it still with one hand the best I could and rolled it with the other. Placed a square of lumber over it, then a 25lb plate and two 12x12 stepping stones which I left in place several days. It appears to be holding and the water under the liner looks to be subsiding.

maxxowner
Good deal .. Bottom liner patches are tough. It's been my experience that constant water intrusion under a vinyl liner will eventually cause some sort of discoloration
in the liner itself, some sort of bacteria I would guess. That's what happened to mine, it did get better over time after I stopped the leak.

Best of Luck

It sounds like you may have a Hybrid Pool where a liner was placed into when it began leaking.

I hope it's alright to post again in this thread since I started it.

We're sitting around as a family and reminiscing today and I got some clarification on the liner here.

It started as a typical liner pool. There were two problems that occurred. Some roots grew through and punctured the liner, and there was also a spring head that would sometimes run up under the pool and float the liner, or that is how they explain it anyway.

So, at one point they pulled the liner, and coated the entire pool with a vermiculite, cement, sand mixture. They say this was done twice and there is something like 4-6" of that, but I don't know. They also say after this a company came in and put in a layer of fiberglass over that. And, for whatever reason, eventually it came full circle and got a liner again. They say through the course of all this it lost a lot of depth, especially in the shallow end. This all happened 40+ years ago and was being told the best they could remember.

I'll be interested to see the pool surface underneath whenever we need to have another liner put in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.