Possible New Pool In Central FL

Salt is not difficult if there is room in your piping. I didn't install from scratch, but had to replace mine and it wasn't hard. For it to communicate with the automation may be a little more in depth, but simple on/off is just a power wire connected to the pump timing (so salt is on when pump is on). The Pentair system has a temp sensor included (which may be a failure waiting to happen), so nothing extra there.

For the spa, you will want your valves to move to where it is only doing suction and return from the spa. No water going any where else (except your feature pump which can continue to do it's thing).

1) Are there any recommended pump run times and speeds for normal pool operation?

It is up to you. I run my pump 24/7 at a low RPM sufficient for my SWG and heater. It depends on what equipment you have and if a SWG or HP needs a minimum runtime.

It is time for you to create your signature so we can easily see what equipment you have.

2) How often does everyone run their pool cleaner?

My pool cleaner runs for 3 hours early every morning. You need to learn what cleaning schedule your pool environmnt needs.

3) How often should you test the water (I've heard once a week)?

Test your water daily until you learn what the normal changes are.

4) How often should you brush the pool? I know it's 3 times a day for the 1st week after plaster but what about after that?

Once or twice a week after the first month.

6) Does anyone know anyway to get the intellicenter to talk with google home?

7) How hard is it to install the the salt chlorinator? Would need plumbing and wiring.

Not hard if you can do basic PVC work and electrical work. It depends if there is a straight run to cut the SWG into your plumbing an the complexity of your pool electrical setup. The devil is int he details.

8) Is there a specific way to set the valves for the spa suction and return or is it personal preference?

There should be nothing to set if your IntelliCenter is managing them with actualtors.

Reactions: kimkats
1) Are there any recommended pump run times and speeds for normal pool operation?

It is up to you. I run my pump 24/7 at a low RPM sufficient for my SWG and heater. It depends on what equipment you have and if a SWG or HP needs a minimum runtime.

It is time for you to create your signature so we can easily see what equipment you have.

I will update that shortly. I have the Pentair intelliflo 3HP Pump.

2) How often does everyone run their pool cleaner?

My pool cleaner runs for 3 hours early every morning. You need to learn what cleaning schedule your pool environmnt needs.

Thanks I guess I'll have to start with something and see how it works. We bought the Dolphin cleaner so it won't be controlled from the automation panel.

3) How often should you test the water (I've heard once a week)?

Test your water daily until you learn what the normal changes are.

Thanks I'll take a look into that

4) How often should you brush the pool? I know it's 3 times a day for the 1st week after plaster but what about after that?

Once or twice a week after the first month.

Thanks

6) Does anyone know anyway to get the intellicenter to talk with google home?

Thanks I'll try to read through that

7) How hard is it to install the the salt chlorinator? Would need plumbing and wiring.

Not hard if you can do basic PVC work and electrical work. It depends if there is a straight run to cut the SWG into your plumbing an the complexity of your pool electrical setup. The devil is int he details.

We have a straight run for it and I saw a template came with the chlorinator to determine where to cut

8) Is there a specific way to set the valves for the spa suction and return or is it personal preference?

There should be nothing to set if your IntelliCenter is managing them with actualtors.

Sorry should have been more specific. In pool mode I have the actuators sending most of the water to the pool and a little bit to the spa just to keep water moving. Is more water better than a little on this or is it personal preference?

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Sorry should have been more specific. In pool mode I have the actuators sending most of the water to the pool and a little bit to the spa just to keep water moving. Is more water better than a little on this or is it personal preference?

The way you have it setup with the spillover constantly running will cause your pH to rise more then necessary and require more frequent acid additions.

With the Intellicenter you should set the return valve to only send water to the pool in POOL mode. Then schedule the spillover to run 2 to 3 times a day for 15 minutes to refresh the water in the spa.

I run my spillover at 9AM to get chlorinated water in it for the day, then around 2PM to refersh it midday, and around 6PM. That is overkill and you only need to do it once a day but that is what I do.

Reactions: mnmpizza
The way you have it setup with the spillover constantly running will cause your pH to rise more then necessary and require more frequent acid additions.

With the Intellicenter you should set the return valve to only send water to the pool in POOL mode. Then schedule the spillover to run 2 to 3 times a day for 15 minutes to refresh the water in the spa.

I run my spillover at 9AM to get chlorinated water in it for the day, then around 2PM to refersh it midday, and around 6PM. That is overkill and you only need to do it once a day but that is what I do.

I'm still learning here (first pool) so basically to run the spa spill over I'd have the pool suction on (spa suction off) and then send all the return water to the spa? The rest of the time it would be 100% suction and return to the pool only?

I'm actually surprised to hear it became a pain to always have the spill over running because both my neighbors do that. Learn something new everyday.

I'm still learning here (first pool) so basically to run the spa spill over I'd have the pool suction on (spa suction off) and then send all the return water to the spa? The rest of the time it would be 100% suction and return to the pool only?
  • Pool Mode - suction from pool, return to pool
  • Spa mode - suction from spa, return to spa
  • Spillover mode - suction from pool, return to spa
I'm actually surprised to hear it became a pain to always have the spill over running because both my neighbors do that. Learn something new everyday.

People without automation cannot schedule their spillover to run daily and need to let it run all the time. Other folks with pool automation do not know they have a spillover function and can schedule it. Many folks don't realize it is contributing to their pH rise.

Many PBs take the simple setup of cracking the return valve open to the spa a bit and never tell their customer about the spillover function and how to schedule it. People just say that is the way the builder gave it to them so they assumed it needed to be left that way.

3. Did I post a set of links when your shell was shot? If so there is a link to pool care. If not I will share them when I get home.

5. If you keep the water balanced then your waterline tile should stay clean. Every once in a while run a damp cloth over it I'd you see a bit something on it. If you see a need to clean it then you can use a solution of muriatic acid to help clean it. Use care with the m.a. as it will lower your pH and it's fumes are no fun.

I will hit on the others if no one else does before I get home.

Kim:kim:

Kim I don't think I saw a set of links yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does anyone have any good resources for learning about the Intellicenter? I'm struggling a little bit trying to understand everything. For example I was able to set it up so when I turn the SPA mode on it sets the valves right but I can't figure out how to get it so I can setup a "spillway" mode. To be honest I cant even remember how I setup the valves to do that.....

Does anyone have any good resources for learning about the Intellicenter? I'm struggling a little bit trying to understand everything. For example I was able to set it up so when I turn the SPA mode on it sets the valves right but I can't figure out how to get it so I can setup a "spillway" mode. To be honest I cant even remember how I setup the valves to do that.....

@Jimrahbe should be able to help.

I think you need to create a Feature Circuit then Assign a Circuit Name, Assign a Circuit Type (Generic or Spillway), Choose “Show as Feature” Other items to configure if applicable are Freeze Protection, Egg Timer, etc. Then you can schedule that Feature Circuit.

Guy,

The first thing to do would be to make sure that when in the pool mode, the pump sucks water from the pool and pushes it through the filter and back to the pool returns and no where else. Then switch to the spa mode, and ensure that the pump sucks water from the spa and pushes it through the filter and back to the spa jets and no where else.

Once you know that the Intake and Return valves are moving like outlined above, then you can set up the Spillway mode..

1. Select an unused Feature Circuit and set the Circuit Name to Spillway (You can make it anything you want, but Spillway makes the most sense)
2. Set the Circuit Function to "Spillway".. you will need to select spillway from a drop down list..
3. Save it.. Now anytime you select the spillway icon, the Intake and Return valves should turn so that water is sucked from the Pool and then sent to the Spa, causing the spa to overflow into the pool.

I suggest that you also set a pump speed that the pump will run when in the spillway mode.

Then you can schedule the spillway just like you can schedule any other Circuit.

I have an EasyTouch, not an IntelliCenter, so I can't post screen shots of how to do it.

Let us know if you need a more detailed explanation as we have several IntelliCenter owners here at TFP..

Here is a link on how to do it with an EasyTouch.. It should give you an idea of how it works... Scheduling spa spillway

Thanks,

Jim R.

@Jimrahbe I guess I had set it up right but never tried it because I thought I'd have to tell the system which valve to turn. Right now I think all the valves are moving to the right position for the pool, spa, and spillway mode.

I just need to setup the schedules and circuits for the pump speeds. Given I can control the pumps off flow rate or RPM is there a preference on which one to use for the pool and also the water features?

Guy,

As far as the Pool goes, in my mind you want to run at a low RPM to save on the electrical costs.. The minimum speed is the RPM it takes to get your SWCG's flow switch to turn on plus about 100 RPM.. In my case that is about 1200 RPM.. Since you have a heater, I'd guess it would be 1500 or so.. But, you will have to determine what that RPM is based upon your pool and your plumbing..

As far at your water features, you just need to adjust the pump so that the water feature looks the way you want. Then just use that number.

Nothing here is fixed in stone, so play with it, you can't hurt anything..

From the spillover point of view, I'd want enough flow to flush the old water out of the spa in about half an hour.. It should not take a lot.. My suggestion would be to measure your spa's FC and then run the pump long enough or fast enough to make the spa's FC match the pool's FC. I'd probably run the spillway mode, twice a day for about 30 minutes.. The key is to make sure the spa's FC never falls below your minimum FC..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Guy,

As far as the Pool goes, in my mind you want to run at a low RPM to save on the electrical costs.. The minimum speed is the RPM it takes to get your SWCG's flow switch to turn on plus about 100 RPM.. In my case that is about 1200 RPM.. Since you have a heater, I'd guess it would be 1500 or so.. But, you will have to determine what that RPM is based upon your pool and your plumbing..

Cool when we get everything up and running and get the SWG I'll play with the pump speed to see what it takes

As far at your water features, you just need to adjust the pump so that the water feature looks the way you want. Then just use that number.

Nothing here is fixed in stone, so play with it, you can't hurt anything..

That's what I figured it would be for these

From the spillover point of view, I'd want enough flow to flush the old water out of the spa in about half an hour.. It should not take a lot.. My suggestion would be to measure your spa's FC and then run the pump long enough or fast enough to make the spa's FC match the pool's FC. I'd probably run the spillway mode, twice a day for about 30 minutes.. The key is to make sure the spa's FC never falls below your minimum FC..

Sorry can you help me understand what FC stands for?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.