Possible New Pool In Central FL

The waterfalls would need their own pump and suction point. The bubblers could share the pool returns and 3way switch the output between them. And yes homenrum on each line you absolutely have to. Typically 2 sets of main drains with all these water features. One set just for falls. The other shared with skimmers for bubblers/pool

Thanks according to the engineer the strip drain has the flowrate to support both pumps but I don't know how much strip suction drains normally support

I say either one as I really can't see that much of a difference. The bowl on top will be the thing to look at for the size of the columns. That would be best done with the real bowl and a mock column to see which size looks best.

Got our engineering back today. Would love some comments on it. I wanted a return on the sunshelf and was told it wasn't needed but it could be added as wanted during the build. I also told them I wanted an 10" bond beam and was told that they do 6" and I could make it thicker as wanted during the build.

Attachments

• 422 Whipperwill Way Pool Plan update 6-5-2020.pdf
    499.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I am underwhelmed with that as the engineering document.

There is no vertical profile of the pool floor. Do you want a straight slope from 3'6" to 6'. Do you want some flat area of 3'6" before the slope down to 6'? Do you want any flat floor at 6'?

I don't see the locations of the skimmer or returns on the layout. Location of jets in the spa?

ALL of this:
I wanted a return on the sunshelf and was told it wasn't needed but it could be added as wanted during the build. I also told them I wanted an 10" bond beam and was told that they do 6" and I could make it thicker as wanted during the build.
needs to be written on the plans from the contract!!! Just having their say on it is NOT enough. You NEED a return on the shelf to help clean it.

If that document is from the PB then who is he supposed to tell during "the build" that he wants a return on the sunshelf and 10" bond beam?

Tell us where that document came from and who told you what?

Also keep in mind that "you can always add it later during the build" translates to "Change Order, fork over more $$" . Get everything you know you want written into the contract and onto the plans. It's almost always more expensive to add or change things later during the build.

Reactions: kimkats
Sorry I should have specified this is an owner build. The document I attached was the layout from the engineering company. Basically what I was told from the engineering company is the following
- I can increase the bond beam thickness during the build (they'll probably have 6" on the engineering and I want 10")
- I can add/move returns as wanted during the build (I want something to help clean the sunshelf and the benches)
- I can add/move the pool light (plan for 2) during the build (need to figure out where to put these)

I also realized I attached the wrong document. Correct one is attached one thing to note is the 16' pool width will be increased to 18.5' to make the pool a straight line with the spa.

Attachments

• 422 Whipperwill Way_pool plan_060520.pdf
    794.7 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
If you are SURE you can and will be there it might work out BUT if they don't bring enough concrete for a 10" because they had planned on 6"...............your plans need to be solid and in writing before you contact for work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can anyone help me with a recommended return/skimmer and light placement? I want 2 lights in the pool just not sure where to put them. I'm worried about "dead" water on the sunshelf and benches when the water features are off

Last edited:
Skimmers should be oriented to the prevailing winds. Likely West to East in FL. Orient North on your drawing.

Lights should face away from house. Show pool on house survey.

Skimmers should be oriented to the prevailing winds. Likely West to East in FL. Orient North on your drawing.

Lights should face away from house. Show pool on house survey.

Sorry I know it's rough but it's all I have right now (let me know if you need better). We have a lot of wind that blows from the bottom of the picture to the top of the picture. Our neighbors skimmer is on the right side of their pool in the image.

Attachments

• Pool Placement.jpg
    Pool Placement.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 31
2 skimmers, 4 returns, 5 Microbrite lights

tegguy_pool.png

2 skimmers, 4 returns, 5 Microbrite lights

My bubblers will be the globrite LED bubblers so wouldn't it be best to stick with the same style for a pool light?

Is that return layout going to be enough to cause a good rotation of the water?

Can you help me understand the 2 skimmers?

My bubblers will be the globrite LED bubblers so wouldn't it be best to stick with the same style for a pool light?

Read Pentair LED Pool Lights - Further Reading

GloBrites are non-repairable failure prone lights in proprietary niches. If you get them you will be committed to periodic replacement as they fail.

Is that return layout going to be enough to cause a good rotation of the water?

Your pool has the spa spillover and the water features in the upper left and top. Your circulation flow will be from the upper left and top to the lower right and bottom where the skimmers are.

The prevailing winds will affect the surface flow more then any return circulation.

Can you help me understand the 2 skimmers?

Versus 1 skimmer? You always want at least 2 skimmers. If one skimmer gets clogged your pump will not run dry. If a swimmer blocks one skimmer your pump will not run dry. If a skimmer line has a leak you can close it until you get it repaired and still run your pool.

I have illustrated the way your water will flow from the spa spillover and returns and sheers to the skimmers...

tegguy_pool.png

@ajw22 Thanks for the information and the link (I was reading that article earlier). Unfortunately I'm kind of of stuck and not sure what to do because difference in thinking between the engineer, other people, and what I've been reading specifically regarding the returns and I'm not sure what to do. I'm also not sure what my allowances are once I get the engineering drawings back to move stuff and add items.

I'd assume as long as the structure was correct I could move and add lights and returns as I wanted but I'm not sure.

I have illustrated the way your water will flow from the spa spillover and returns and sheers to the skimmers...

View attachment 144865

Thanks I'm being tired of going back and fourth with the engineer on this so I might just risk it and change the returns and skimmers during the build.

I wouldn't recommend this engineer because they don't pick up the phone and ask questions and they can't seem to grasp what is being communicated (or I can't communicate). Little scared to see the bill at the end

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.