Poor water Flow and circulation

Matt-E-Ice

May 15, 2023
Frisco, TX
Hi, Longtime reader but first time poster. Having similar issues.

Typically my 3 scuppers can be the most "flow" challenged and perform best after backwash, filter cleaning, etc.

Now when I run the pump, the flow is non existent on the scuppers and very low for my spa waterfall/spillover. I did test the pump via the "recirculate" setting the pressure was outstanding, so it appears the issue maybe isolated to filter??

any help is appreciated. :)

IMG_3132.jpgIMG_3135.jpgIMG_3137b.jpg

Matt,

When your filter gets dirty, the first thing you will notice is poor flow.

Normally it takes a long time for a filter to get 'dirty' from what falls into the pool. Filters that get dirty quickly and require constant backwashing are almost always due to algae, even if you can't see it yet.

If you fix your algae issue you will fix your poor flow issue as well..

We would be glad to get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Matt,

When your filter gets dirty, the first thing you will notice is poor flow.

Normally it takes a long time for a filter to get 'dirty' from what falls into the pool. Filters that get dirty quickly and require constant backwashing are almost always due to algae, even if you can't see it yet.

If you fix your algae issue you will fix your poor flow issue as well..

We would be glad to get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hi Jim,
Thank you for your response and providing great insight! Coincidentally, I did see some algae and have treated it, pool is back to excellent clarity. I am guessing I might need to clean my filter again?

I did see some algae and have treated it, pool is back to excellent clarity.
Matt,

I am sure you think that is true, but you can't kill algae overnight.

Adding a couple of bags of pool store shock will make you think the algae is gone, but is it not, it is just knocked down so you can't see it. It will be back.

Killing algae takes a process we call a SLAM. It is a process that takes a few days and not some 'magic' you buy at a pool store. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
Reactions: proavia
Matt,

I am sure you think that is true, but you can't kill algae overnight.

Adding a couple opf bags of pool store shock will make you think the algae is gone, but is it not, it is just knocked down so you can't see it. It will be back.

Killing algae takes a process we call a SLAM. It is a process that takes a few days and not some 'magic' you buy at a pool store. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Okay, appreciate that Jim. I did use algacide a few days ago and was able to raise my chlorine as my stablizer had gotten really low, so added more of that. Seems to be the culprit.

And now the pool is running very nicely, about as strong of a flow as you will see from scuppers, etc.
That's great to hear. However you're likely to see the problem repeat until all the algae is eradicated through the
SLAM Process.

The number one cause of dirty, clogged DE filters is algae. (Un)fortunately, DE filters are so good that it may not look like your pool has algae in it, but the fact that it plugged up is pretty telling.

If you haven't already, you should get yourself a quality test kit (Test Kits Compared)
and then run a full battery of tests, as well as an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.