Pool Trouble in Virginia Beach,VA

I’ve had off the last three days, so I’ve been able to test and adjust hourly until around 9 or so. I’m brushing every morning and I have been able to vacuum once in the morning and once in the evening. Yesterday it looked like I had finally gotten what was left on the bottom but it’s worse today. I will keep at it then.

There are a couple threads currently active on 18' above ground pools with Algae. It is taking a while to clear them. I'm going to posit that the filters are not all that great, and that the filter sizes are undersized to the pool.

My guess is that it will just take time. Slams can be a couple days, slams can be a couple weeks. Don't be discouraged, see this --> TFP Clear - Let's see PICs!

Reactions: Pardue14
There are a couple threads currently active on 18' above ground pools with Algae. It is taking a while to clear them. I'm going to posit that the filters are not all that great, and that the filter sizes are undersized to the pool.

My guess is that it will just take time. Slams can be a couple days, slams can be a couple weeks. Don't be discouraged, see this --> TFP Clear - Let's see PICs!
Thank you so much for that link! It feels like forever since I've seen my pool water like that - those pictures are inspiring!!

Funny thing you should mention the pump being insufficient for the pool size - I suspected that myself. I clean/change filters twice daily even without algae in an effort to maximize efficiency. I just ordered an Intex sand pump 2100GPH and received it yesterday. Right now, I'm currently in the midst of a 3 week SLAM - is it ideal to connect a new pump during this process or am I right to just wait? Any thoughts?

Thank you for the information, I'll have to search the forum for those threads, I really appreciate it.

I see no reason not to hook it up, if you have a way to plug the skimmer and return, so it doesn't drain the pool down to the returns.

Let's call in @jseyfert3, he is one of our resident AGP experts.

What is the "input" to the pump if the skimmer is not active? Again, I don't know AGP that well, but the most volume you can get through the filter the better. Again, let's hope @jseyfert3 will chime in...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is the "input" to the pump if the skimmer is not active? Again, I don't know AGP that well, but the most volume you can get through the filter the better. Again, let's hope @jseyfert3 will chime in...
1180 GPH I believe, if I understand what you’re asking correctly. The model number to my current pump is intex 28635EG, if that helps.

1180 GPH I believe, if I understand what you’re asking correctly. The model number to my current pump is intex 28635EG, if that helps.
Ha! Language. I meant where is the water being pulled from if the skimmer is plugged? I'm assuming there is another port on the side of the pool that is the intake to the pump.

Lol sorry, my fault entirely! Yes, I have two intakes. If the skimmer is hooked up, it’s connected to one intake while the other is capped with a stopper that has a pea size hole.
Can you give us a picture of the setup? Might help.

Your pool math logs are empty. Are you logging your test results?

You have a through-wall skimmer like a Hayward? Or the over-wall Intex one? I don’t have experience with the latter, but I’ve got one of Intex’s biggest pumps with my Hayward through-wall skimmer, no issues handling full pump flow.

You have a through-wall skimmer like a Hayward? Or the over-wall Intex one? I don’t have experience with the latter, but I’ve got one of Intex’s biggest pumps with my Hayward through-wall skimmer, no issues handling full pump flow.
Read back. Can he switch his pump?

Can you give us a picture of the setup? Might help.

Your pool math logs are empty. Are you logging your test results?
I forgot to take a picture before I left - but I found a stock photo! That's how mine is set up , both intakes on the right hand side, the return jet on the left. The second photo is what the skimmer looks like hooked up to an intake.

No, the last time I took a full set of tests was right before I began the SLAM and I haven't tested anything else outside of FC since. Should I be recording the FC results on here?

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 6
  • skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 6
I have the Intex wall mount skimmer but I'm not using it with my current pump because of the issues with pump flow. I bought a new pump but I'm in the midst of a 3 week SLAM and wasn't certain if it would be ok to replace the pump right now.

I forgot to take a picture before I left - but I found a stock photo! That's how mine is set up , both intakes on the right hand side, the return jet on the left. The second photo is what the skimmer looks like hooked up to an intake.

No, the last time I took a full set of tests was right before I began the SLAM and I haven't tested anything else outside of FC since. Should I be recording the FC results on here?
YES!!! Enter the FC test results and enter the addition of the LQ. Will help get a sense of where you are at...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.