Pool Trouble in Virginia Beach,VA

After a 1/4 drain and refill and then a 1/2 drain and refill, the bromide should be about 2 ppm, which isn't horrible, but it's not good.

You can try a SLAM if you want, but it might not work too well.

I would do at least a 1/2 drain and refill and then SLAM.

Reactions: Pardue14
If your CYA is currently 90 and you previously did a 1/4 and then a 1/2 half drain and refill, that would indicate that your CYA was about 240 ppm.

Does that seem correct?
Sorry for the confusion - after the half drain, when I saw the sudden increase in chlorine demand, I thought I had my CYA too low, so I added stabilizer but I did NOT test it before the addition. I only added CYA when I opened the pool in May so it seemed logical it seemed logical at that time.

Also, the black dot test is not my friend.

No.

Don't use calcium hypochlorite.

You can try a SLAM with liquid chlorine, but the bromine might just make all of the chlorine disappear too fast.

Maybe do another 1/2 drain and refill to see if that helps.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

SLAM Process

FC/CYA Levels

Recommended Levels

What a nightmare!

I'm learning lessons the hard (& expensive) way!

I initially used cal hypo because of the amount of free chlorine but I'll never use it again. Cloudy water is bad enough, but milky water is just plain terrible to look at.

I figure at the very least a partial drain is necessary to bring down the CYA - I'm just hoping it will help with the bromine as well.

We had 3 of our hottest days this passed week and our pool sits in direct sunlight the majority of the day so I was ecstatic that it was finally holding chlorine again. I thought this was a good indicator I was moving in the right direction but was just confused why the water was still so opaque.

I really appreciate all you guys' patience - you're all saints!

I realized that I have been testing the CYA wrong - I have been recording results when the black dot just begins to fade rather than when it's just no longer visible. So I retested twice tonight, and I actually think the correct CYA is 60 - that's when the black dot disappeared.

Also, it doesn't appear that I lost any FC today but, not sure this is even possible, my cc lowered? Maybe I missed a drop?

FC: 6.6
CC: .6
CYA: 60

The pool is still milky but we can see more of the bottom now towards the middle. Any thoughts or ideas as to what is going on?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My current pump isn’t strong enough to hook a vacuum to it so I only have one that attaches to a garden hose. It’s not great for removing algae plus it also adds fresh water each time so I have to drain water while vacuuming. Will the SLAM still work if I don’t vacuum?

It will work. It just will be difficult to determine when it ends if you cannot clean out the pool.
There are reasonably good rechargeable vacuums for small pools. Pool Blaster is one brand.

Reactions: Pardue14
So the SLAM seems to be coming along reasonably well. The vacuum came today so I'll be able to that tonight for the first time since starting on Sunday. This morning we are finally able to see all the way down to the bottom of the pool, though the water is still cloudy. I have a question - I'm losing about 8-9ppm of FC a day right now. With a CYA of 60, my SLAM FC level should be 24ppm. Since I'm at work, I can only adjust the levels twice a day during the week - would it be reasonable to raise the FC to 33ppm to account for the daytime loss that way it's not sitting below 24ppm?

would it be reasonable to raise the FC to 33ppm to account for the daytime loss that way it's not sitting below 24ppm?
That is not advisable. The excess FC will burn off rapidly and FC above SLAM could damage the liner.

No one at home to add chlorine at noon? Try to test/add in the morning, when you get home, after dinner, before bed.

That is not advisable. The excess FC will burn off rapidly and FC above SLAM could damage the liner.

No one at home to add chlorine at noon? Try to test/add in the morning, when you get home, after dinner, before bed.
Not during the week. That's basically what I'm doing- twice in the morning before work & 3 times after work. Thanks for the insight!

I have vacuumed 3 times in the last 4 days, the improvement is gradual, but getting better each day I think. I attached a couple of photos. But I'm curious - my cartridges are covered in a thick, off-white/yellowish substance - wondering if anyone can tell from the photo what it is? Does this look like algae?

Attachments

• 25162D39-D801-4282-8781-69C4E39A2915.jpeg
    25162D39-D801-4282-8781-69C4E39A2915.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 21
  • A591B5C2-EFC9-40C9-9C4F-0A417EA64F6F.jpeg
    A591B5C2-EFC9-40C9-9C4F-0A417EA64F6F.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 7F0185C0-C34D-4EA8-8194-F45543D786E3.jpeg
    7F0185C0-C34D-4EA8-8194-F45543D786E3.jpeg
    443.4 KB · Views: 21
Guys, I’m at a loss. The SLAM is working, the pool is almost clear, but I cannot get the algae out of the pool. I have vacuumed 6 times over the last 3 days and this morning it looks like there is even more on the bottom than yesterday. Anybody have any ideas or suggestions?!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.