Apoolperson

Jan 31, 2022
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi all. We finally bought our first home and have been saving every penny the past five year to install a pool. It has been a life long dream for us both to own one and something so nessary living here in hot Florida.

Here is the issue now. I’m having a meltdown panic attack because I think it’s too big for our rather small yard. Everyone told me once the gunite was poured it would shrink but it really only shrank about 6 inches on each wall.

What are your options? This is our first home and first pool so maybe it’s just the shock of seeing my backyard totally changed?

The pool is 28/15 leaving 8 feet of space between the house and 6 feet of space between the property lines. On either end 10 feet of pavers. We have a small screen room 10/10 which we now can only expand out due to the pool.

Attachments

• 0360BDB3-4D66-427F-8D48-DCBDC058EEB7.jpeg
    0360BDB3-4D66-427F-8D48-DCBDC058EEB7.jpeg
    670.7 KB · Views: 161
  • CCE3A898-CB09-4884-A9D9-764BF1DD55EB.png
    CCE3A898-CB09-4884-A9D9-764BF1DD55EB.png
    231.4 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
Hi all. We finally bought our first home and have been saving every penny the past five year to install a pool. It has been a life long dream for us both to own one and something so nessary living here in hot Florida.

Here is the issue now. I’m having a meltdown panic attack because I think it’s too big for our rather small yard. Everyone told me once the gunite was poured it would shrink but it really only shrank about 6 inches on each wall.

What are your options? This is our first home and first pool so maybe it’s just the shock of seeing my backyard totally changed?
A,

Welcome to tfp! Sorry to hear you are having this issue. It's difficult to respond to your question without knowing a little more about specifics about the issue. Large and small can mean a lot of different things to different people but I will try. Unless your yard is very very large the pool is typically the dominant structure in the yard. I would not worry about this too much. In fact if I had a small yard I would make the pool as big as I could. Please post some photos and dimensions if at all possible. Also at this point it's pretty difficult to make your pool smaller and that would not be my choice.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A 15'×28' pool is small in my opinion. I did a 16'x40' in my yard n the pool feels small! Your pool looks huge because of your small yard. My pool looks small because of my yard is huge! It's an illusion that your mind is playing on you.

Attachments

• 20211019_113639.jpg
    20211019_113639.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 20220107_110830.jpg
    20220107_110830.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: Apoolperson
I anticipated the walls of the pool to be more like a foot or more which would provide more yard/paver area but the walls are thinner then I thought.

The coping goes on top of the pool "walls" and then from there you'd do pavers. For your yard, I think I would pave it all and be done with grass. Maybe leave just a tiny strip on the edges for your trees.

Reactions: Apoolperson

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.