Pool Store Salt Tests

Apr 25, 2015
Pasadena, CA
So i was under the assumption that my tests of my salt levels were accurate because i use the drop test. But I recently took a sample into the national chain store and they told me my salt was really low at 2300ppm. The guy used some type of electronic tester. Is this the most accurate method and more accurate than drop test? Not sure why my readings were so off, chemicals are not even near expiration. In this instance I’m apt to believe their test as i added 80lbs of salt and now my cell is working again. Any thoughts?

Why do you assume the pool store test is more accurate then your drop test? The Taylor K-1766 Salt Test is the most accurate.

You should be asking why the pool stores give out inaccurate results to their customers.

Believe your test. Is your SWG generating chlorine? What does the diagnostic readings say?

T,

Take the same water to three different pool stores and you will get three different answers.. Just trust you Taylor K-1766..

The most "well known" is also the worst in most cases.. :mrgreen:

Two bags of salt will only increase your salt level by 435 ppm... probable within the cell's test tolerance.. If your pool was 2300 you are now at about 2735 which is still on the low end for most salt cells.

Not sure you have the speed-stir or not, but it makes using the drop test much easier to use, and I believe much more accurate.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m assuming there’s was accurate because i thought i had an issue with my salt cell. it’s been giving very low salt warnings and not producing chlorine, but my drop test has been indicating my levels were at 3100. So i didn’t bother to add salt. I was ready to claim warranty on a 8 month old cell. Ever since i added the 2 bags of salt, it is now working fine and indicating a level of 2700. I do have the speedstir and confident I’m doing my test correctly too. That’s why I’m perplexed.

Drop test, salt meter, and cell salt reading all use different methods to determine salinity. They offer differ by 500ppm or more.

The drop test is the most accurate. But the SWG makes it's decisions based in it's way of measuring. As long as the drop test salt measurement is under 4,500 ppm and the SWG does not say low salt and is generating then you have a good salt level.

Drop test, salt meter, and cell salt reading all use different methods to determine salinity. They offer differ by 500ppm or more.

The drop test is the most accurate. But the SWG makes it's decisions based in it's way of measuring. As long as the drop test salt measurement is under 4,500 ppm and the SWG does not say low salt and is generating then you have a good salt level.
Alright that sounds fair. What happens above 4500?

Alright that sounds fair. What happens above 4500?

Above 4,500 there is more chance of corrosion pf pool equipment. And some cells can't handle high salt levels as well and will draw too much current which can cause failure. The higher the salinity the higher current the cell draws.

The Intellichlor manual says:

High salt concentration above 4500 ppm may cause excessive corrosion or deterioration to pool equipment and surrounding surfaces in and around the pool.

Note: Salt measurements will vary between measuring devices (salt test strips, electronic testers, and titration). The salt sensor reading is within +/- 500 ppm accuracy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.