Pool still cloudy a little bit

Apr 18, 2018
Holden, La
So I opened my pool up for the summer about 3 weeks ago. It’s been blue and I can see bottom but still not clear. The pool store I use test it with the spin touch pool tester. My results were FC 1.13, TC 1.37, CC 0.24, PH 7.6, Hardness 22, Alkalinity 86, Cyanuric Acid 43, Copper 1.7, Iron 0.4, Phosphate 1737. I have a intex above ground pool with 14,364 gallons. I use the HTH Super 3” Chlorinating Tablets 4-in-1 and the HTH Super Shock 4-in-1 1lb bags. Please help my kids are so ready to swim here in Louisiana.

Nell, welcome to TFP! :wave: But now let's pull the Band-Aid off right away ...... pool store testing. Ouch. You'll hear it from us often. Their testing is horrible. We highly encourage you to get a proper test kit and test from home. Either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C will work. See Test Kits Compared. That's a must.

I don't really trust those store test results, but I do believe you have one of two things happening - maybe both:
1 - An algae bloom in progress or about to occur (very low free chlorine level) See FC/CYA Levels
2 - Excess metals in the water (iron or copper) that will result in staining and/or water color changes. Are you on a well? Been using lots of pool store products like algaecides perhaps?

Please see our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry for a good start. But you definitely need the right test kit and to add some liquid chlorine (regular bleach) in the water. Keep the FC level at about 4-5 for now. Let us know what other questions you may have.

Wow first time I have heard that test kit being less effective than the taylor. I don’t understand the chart. I tried using the app and don’t u defat and it either. No I’m on city water. I haven’t used any pool store chemicals. I used bleach from DG and the tabs and shock that I listed and some baking soda. I use the HTH testing kit at home. Haven’t used any algaecide at all.

Well, just as inconsistent as regular water testing can be at the pool store, it could also apply to the iron/copper they noted. But I would watch the pool closely for color changes or stains. That's a sign.

For theFC/CYA Levels, that's your tool to avoid algae. You have a non-salt pool, so find your current CYA. Then find the matching FC levle that you hsold be at.

Also is one of those levels on the chart better than others? I have always been told that the levels should be fc 1-5, tc 1-5, cc 0-0.2, ph 7.2-7.8, hardness 200-400, alkalinity 80-120, cya 30-150, copper 0-1.8, iron 0-0.5, phosphate 0-500. But my pool store said don’t worry about phosphates. Also since I have a vinyl pool do I worry with hardness. I have heard yes and no

So what does the slam fc stand for?
This is the page for SLAM: SLAM Process. It's what we use to kill algae; cloudiness is usually the first sign.

I thought the LaMotte test were good. Which of the two test kits u listed are better?
It has its limitations. That's why recommend either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C.

Also is one of those levels on the chart better than others? I have always been told that the levels should be fc 1-5, tc 1-5, cc 0-0.2, ph 7.2-7.8, hardness 200-400, alkalinity 80-120, cya 30-150, copper 0-1.8, iron 0-0.5, phosphate 0-500. But my pool store said don’t worry about phosphates. Also since I have a vinyl pool do I worry with hardness. I have heard yes and no
Many levels you are told about (i.e. pool store) are generic, antiquated industry ranges. The TFP What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool adjusts for all of your pool conditions.

Also since I have a vinyl pool do I worry with hardness. I have heard yes and no
In a vinyl pool, no need to worry about a low CH. High yes - scale. You can also disregard phosphates. :)

Also my cya is 43 so do I round up or down to the whole?
Yes, we round up if halfway or more.

This is the page for SLAM: SLAM Process. It's what we use to kill algae; cloudiness is usually the first sign.

It has its limitations. That's why recommend either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C.

Many levels you are told about (i.e. pool store) are generic, antiquated industry ranges. The TFP What Are My Ideal Pool Levels? - Trouble Free Pool adjusts for all of your pool conditions.

In a vinyl pool, no need to worry about a low CH. High yes - scale. You can also disregard phosphates. :)

Yes, we round up if halfway or more.
So I would round to 40 then right just like in regular math.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I would round to 40 then right just like in regular math.
If we believe your cloudiness to be related to algae (very possible), then yes. You would round-up the CYA to 40 and the corresponding SLAM FC level would be 16. Before beginning the SLAM, the pH is lowered to about 7.2.

But here's the thing ..... you don't want to base future actions on those pool store tests. If their CYA was too low for example, you would never know and your FC level would be low as well. The CYA test is one of the most important to get right. It's really important to get one of those test kits and do your own testing so that you know for sure your tests and actions are accurate. We don't want to see you waste time or money.

No you would round up to 50. However, your CYA is still based on the pool store which you should not trust. Until you get a proper test kit none of the numbers you have mentioned matter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.