Pool Step Replacement

SharonB

Aug 5, 2022
Florida Panhandle
We just had the liner and pool steps replaced on an inground 20x40 Grecian style vinyl lined pool. The contractor advises that the steps are installed correctly, but they just don't look or feel right. The steps are higher than the pool deck by about 2 inches, and the top step is dry when the water level is optimal. We also can see a gap behind the liner and the pool wall. The concern is whether this is going to damage the liner, in addition to just being unsightly. We've also had guests trip on the edge of the steps when walking around the pool. The contractor doesn't want to reinstall the steps, instead offering a discount on the job equivalent to half the price of the steps. The previous steps were flush with the deck level. Are we being too particular, or should we insist that the steps be reinstalled to be level with the deck?

Attachments

• DSCF2275.JPG
    DSCF2275.JPG
    257.9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF2276.JPG
    DSCF2276.JPG
    541.7 KB · Views: 57
I think adjusting your steps at this point may be difficult which is why the contractor is offering you some money back.

The pool will need to be drained and the work puts the liner at risk.

I am not sure how much the liner needs to be pulled back and what needs to be done to the pool walls to lower the steps. Or you may have the wrong steps to install flush.

I think you should take the money and point out to guests to watch out for the steps as they walk around the pool.

@jimmythegreek may have thoughts if he ever sits down to cool off from his pool building.

Reactions: Casey
I think adjusting your steps at this point may be difficult which is why the contractor is offering you some money back.

The pool will need to be drained and the work puts the liner at risk.

I am not sure how much the liner needs to be pulled back and what needs to be done to the pool walls to lower the steps. Or you may have the wrong steps to install flush.

I think you should take the money and point out to guests to watch out for the steps as they walk around the pool.

@jimmythegreek may have thoughts if he ever sits down to cool off from his pool building.
Thank you for the response. This contractor has not been easy to work with at all. It was supposed to be finished early last summer and we still aren't quite there. We had a meeting with them Friday, and we were told that's how they complete all of their installations and that we just don't understand pool construction. Same contractor did the new liner, and blamed the step issue on the concrete work (also them).
I saw another post with eerily similar photos in another thread, which makes me wonder if that user has the same contractor. JimmyTheGreek did comment on their thread that there would be issues.
What a mess.

We just had the liner and pool steps replaced on an inground 20x40 Grecian style vinyl lined pool. The contractor advises that the steps are installed correctly, but they just don't look or feel right. The steps are higher than the pool deck by about 2 inches, and the top step is dry when the water level is optimal. We also can see a gap behind the liner and the pool wall. The concern is whether this is going to damage the liner, in addition to just being unsightly. We've also had guests trip on the edge of the steps when walking around the pool. The contractor doesn't want to reinstall the steps, instead offering a discount on the job equivalent to half the price of the steps. The previous steps were flush with the deck level. Are we being too particular, or should we insist that the steps be reinstalled to be level with the deck?
Better overall photo of our problem is attached. This was with the water level at the mark on the skimmers and the top step is dry.

Attachments

• 20210703_080746.jpg
    20210703_080746.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 36
  • Sad
Reactions: Lanzz
My pool is similar to yours. Inground panels with a vinyl liner. When my two sons and I built it (a hydro pool kit) the instructions had the top of the steps to be flush with the top of the coping (deck, concrete, tile etc.) There's roughly 1 1/2" of water on the first step.

My pool is similar to yours. Inground panels with a vinyl liner. When my two sons and I built it (a hydro pool kit) the instructions had the top of the steps to be flush with the top of the coping (deck, concrete, tile etc.) There's roughly 1 1/2" of water on the first step.
Does this look familiar? The circled area the installer has stated is the reason these cannot be flush with the pool deck/coping.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-094322_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-094322_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 27
The circled area hasn't anything to do with having both coping and stairs flush. Water level is 6" or more below that so leaking any water is, shall I say, the pool builders excuse for doing what he did.

Now, having said that, my steps are an even 8" is rise starting at the bottom vinyl. If you have a greater rise at the first step (vinyl to first white step) then the rest of the 3 or 4 steps, then I call BS on the builder. If they're the same all the way up, then you're good.

Reactions: SharonB
I can get a picture for you but my wife’s parents just had those identical steps installed on their pool along with a new liner and they sit flush with the deck. The installer cut out two extra feet out on the deck to allow for proper fitment and backfill. Also be really careful as those stairs are slick. My wife fell and badly bruised her bum and back.

Reactions: SharonB

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.