Pool & Spa Build - Pflugerville (near Austin) - Need Help!

ans678

Sep 6, 2021
Pflugerville, TX
Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance for all the help! We really need some feedback.

This will be our first pool and we’ve been trying to educate ourselves as much as we can. This is the first bid we receive, so this is by no means final. Somethings I want to get out of the way, 1) After reading alot of the information on TFP, we plan to switch to a SWGC, but we need guidance on that is needed. 2) Also, this pool here is way too large… we requested a pool about 16X32, but we got a 20X37 currently quoted out. We need to make some adjustments on size as this is way too large and over-budget. 3) We are in the Austin-Round Rock-Pflugerville Metro area, please recommend a pool builder that worked out for you. I can’t figure out how to private message on the forum. 4) No details were provided on the spa, so I need to figure that out as I’ve seen other bids on the forum that include the number of jets. 5) The lot this will be built on is a pretty flat 4-acre lot in Pflugerville with expansive black clay soil.

Details Below:
Pool/Spa Area:
(902) sq ft
Pool Depth : 4.5 FT (staring at tanning ledge) to 5.5 FT
Pool/Spa Perimeter : 104’
Pool/Spa Capacity: Approx. 26,149 Gallons
Tanning Ledge: 1 bubbler and 1 umbrella sleeve
Water Feature: 10 feet in length, 3 feet high, 4 feet water sheer in the center

STEEL PHASE​

General Steel Design: Minimum #4 (1/2") Steel @ 10" On Center Each Way, Throughout Pool Structure
Bond Beam Design: #4 (1/2") Steel x 4 Bars Throughout Upper Bond Beam of Pool
Steel Clearance: Minimum 3" Clearance Between Steel Cage and Excavated Pool Floor and Walls Allowing for Proper Gunite Thicknesses
Grounding: #8 Solid Copper Wire Around Entire Pool Perimeter with Minimum 4 Brass Connection Points on Steel Cage, Extended to Equipment Pad

PLUMBING PHASE​

General Specifications: Schedule 40 Non-Corrosive PVC Buried from Pool to Equipment Pad to be Pressurized at 35psi throughout Project
Surface Skimmers: 2 automatic Surface Skimmers per Design
Recirculation Water Intakes: 2”Schedule 40 PVC with Minimum 2 Split Suction VGB Approved Anti-Vortex Safety Pool Main Drains
Recirculation Water Returns: 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC with Minimum 4 x Multi-Directional Filtered Water Returns to Pool

POOL SHELL PHASE​

Structural Concrete: Pneumatically Applied Structural Concrete Pool Shell Hose Applied and Hand Finished and Shaped per Design
Pool Shell Thicknesses: Minimum 8" Floors, Walls, and Coves, Minimum 12" Thick Walls for Pools Above Grade, 12" Thick Bond Beam
Rebound Management: Proper Disposal and/or Haul Away of Concrete Rebound as Needed
Entry Steps: Standard Steps, Reef, or Beach Style Entry per Design
Swim Benches: Deep Water Benches per Design

ELECTRICAL PHASE​

General Specifications: All Electrical Work to Meet Local Codes and Performed by a Licensed Electrician
Electrical Conduit: Main Power Run from Source to Equipment up to 100’ - Runs from Light Niche(s) to Junction Box(es) per Plan, Includes Conduit and Wiring
Electrical Hook-Up: Wiring and Hook-Up of All Required Equipment, Includes GFCI Breakers in Panel

MASONRY & TILE PHASE​

Pool Coping: Customer Choice Selection of Minimum 2" Thick Cut Limestone, Oklahoma Stone or Lueder.
Tile Preparation: Smooth Brown Coating and Water Proof Coating up to 9" Below Coping for Tile Preparation
Waterline Decorative Tile: 6" Row at Waterline with Premium Tile Selections (Hundreds of Choices, Including Stone and Traditional Tiles)

EQUIPMENT PACKAGE PHASE​

Recirculation Filter Pump: Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump
Water Filtration: TA 100 Sand Filter with Glass Media [I THINK THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO CHANGE TO A SWCG]
Underwater Pool/Spa Lighting: 5 Color Changing LED Lights
Automatic Cleaner: Prowler 920
Equipment Controls: Intelicenter 8IPS Easy Touch with Screen Logic Phone App Controller
Water Sanitation: Rainbow Inline Chlorine Tab Feeder
Heater: Mastertemp 400k BTU Gas

POOL INTERIOR FINISH PHASE​

Pool Preparation: Clean-Out and Prepare Pool for Interior Finish Process, Includes Pumping of any Remaining Standing Water
Fittings: Interior Finish Color Coordinated Fittings to Include High Strength Glue and Waterproofing at Connections
Interior Pool Finish: Pebble Finish - Color TBD
Initial Pool Fill: Begin Initial Pool Fill at Plaster Phase Completion, Water Supplied by Customer

START-UP & MAINTENANCE PHASE​

Initial Start-Up: 1st Week Initial Pool Start-Up Service with Pool Chemical Treatments, Pump Priming, and Automation Programming
Maintenance & Service: 3 months of weekly Maintenance Service and Pool Chemical Treatments
Personal Maintenance Kit: Telescopic Pole, Chemical Test-Kit, Brush, Net, and Thermometer
Personal Training: Personal Instruction and Education on Equipment, Operation, and Maintenance Procedures ("Pool School)
Utilities: Built-In Freeze Protection to all Pumps - Utility Outlet at Pool Equipment Area

Attachments

• 004.jpeg
    004.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 003.jpeg
    003.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 002.jpeg
    002.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The server host for the forum is having issues with attachments. Hopefully resolved soon. Thank you for your patience.

Recirculation Filter Pump: Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump
Water Filtration: TA 100 Sand Filter with Glass Media [I THINK THIS IS WHAT WE NEED TO CHANGE TO A SWCG]
Underwater Pool/Spa Lighting: 5 Color Changing LED Lights
Automatic Cleaner: Prowler 920
Equipment Controls: Intelicenter 8IPS Easy Touch with Screen Logic Phone App Controller
Water Sanitation: Rainbow Inline Chlorine Tab Feeder
Heater: Mastertemp 400k BTU Gas
Welcome fellow Texan. There are many contributors from Texas so you will get lots of local help in addition to the vast expertise from all contributors.

Not sure why the PB is proposing a Sand Filter. It would be less maintenance to go with a large cartridge filter from Pentair such as the Clean & Clear 420 or 520 model. The filter is needed to remove particles from the water as it circulates.

The Sanitation spec is where you want to substitute the SWCG for the Inline Chlorine Tab Feeder. Be sure to get one sized as 2x your pool volume once you confirm the size of pool with the PB. You will most likely need the Pentair IC40 or IC60. Once that is determined, ask that the SWCG be packaged with the IntelliCenter as I think you get a better deal from Pentair.

Both the IntelliFlo VS pump and Mastertemp 400k BTU heater are great choices. The IntelliCenter automation is also preferred.

You need to confirm what LED lights the PB is proposing. Based on feedback on the forum, the Pentair Microbrite does not use a proprietary receptacle and is a better choice over the Pentair Globrite.

Ask if the 2 skimmers can be independently plumbed back to the equipment pad and use never-lube valves to control them. This provides better control for your skimming operation.

It does not specify if the water feature will be on a separate pump or use the main filtration VS pump. If it is only one pump then be aware that the water feature will not be able to operate when in Spa mode. Spa mode is when there is suction from the spa and return only to the spa. If you want the water feature to operate then it will need to be on a dedicated pump as it will suck water from the pool and return it to the pool. Similar with the bubbler. So the water feature and bubbler could be on a dedicated pump which allows them to operate regardless if you are in Spa Mode or Pool Mode.

I am sure others will chime in but overall looks like a nice set up.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
Here is a good Link for discussion on Pentair LED lights

On the coping, stay away from anything that is "sandstone". Sometimes called "Flagstone". It disintegrates.
Just curious. My pool has had Flagstone coping and water tiles for over 19 years. I am not original owner when pool was built but have owned it for 11 of those years. I had the coping and water tiles cleaned and sealed back 3 1/2 years ago when I did a re-plaster. All looks great but obviously I cannot compare it to when it was new but I see no noticeable wear & tear. I use liquid chlorine for chlorination.

I have "flagstone". Pool was installed 14.5 years ago. The stone kept disintegrating and throwing "sand" into the pool. I know it was the sand stone since it the correct color.

About 4-5 years ago, when my expansion joint was replaced, they offered to "seal" my coping. My coping is a med-dark red. The reason it looks light is the coating has turned white.

I suggest for a coping a non-porous stone or brick. I would really like to replace mine with a "rough" granite. Imagine unpolished granite, bead blasted for a smooth but not shiny surface. Basically, flat but a little rough.

One neighbor had his entire deck done with flagstone and the "sand" in the pool is incredible.

Last edited:
Oh, another thing. Non-porous grout, aka epoxy grout. It expands and contracts without cracking. When I get the coping and tile redone in a few years, I will require this.

Make sure the depth is WATER depth-from floor to the middle of the skimmer opening. Some call the depth from the floor to the coping :( You lose a lot of water depth that way.

Make sure there is a over flow system for big rains and such. You will also want a light by the equipment pad. You will thank me the first time you have to go out there at dark time.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks everyone for taking the time to write great advice. I am taking all the notes I can. I was able to add photos to the original post now.
Hopefully we get some other bids on the pool soon. Seems like most pool builders are so busy, they aren't willing to work for less than 125K o_O

Reactions: HermanTX
Just curious. My pool has had Flagstone coping and water tiles for over 19 years.
Just like anything else there are many levels of quality within each sub category. Typically what is locally available in TX and the cheapest by far without high shipping costs is the weak stuff that will erode quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.