Pool SOS

Ok, lol. Let me just double check then. Fill the bottle with the red cap as if doing a regular CYA test. Then dump half that out and replace with tap water. Then pour into the CYA view tube as usual.
Do not POUR into the view tube.
You need to squeeze through the nozzle.
This adds additional agitation which will result in you reading a higher (accurate) CYA level.
Don’t ask me how I learned about this…

The pool is drained 2/3 but we're going to go ahead and drain it all the way. My question is about the next step. What do we clean it with? I know we should scrub the walls and bottom but we also want to make sure to kill residual algae. Thanks.20210716_101126.jpg

The pool is drained 2/3 but we're going to go ahead and drain it all the way. My question is about the next step. What do we clean it with? I know we should scrub the walls and bottom but we also want to make sure to kill residual algae. Thanks.View attachment 355618
Scrub & rinse what u can after its empty. When u refill you will still need to get ph to 7.2 , add stabilizer to 30ppm & do SLAM Process but it won’t take nearly as long to meet the 3 end of slam criteria.

Reactions: Athas08
Use a diluted chlorine mix to clean with. For anything else I’d go 50/50 but you don’t want to bleach the liner so make sure it’s closer to 50:1. If there is any residual chlorine left it will help a teeny little bit when you fill.

Didn't drain all the way down, but more than 2/3. Filling up now.
After it's full the first things to do before the SLAM are check the FC and get pH in range, correct?
yes FC, Ph and CYA bring Ph to 7.2 if it is over and add Chlorine to slam level according to the slam process in pool math

Fill test results. Still green. Going to add 17oz if dry acid as recommended by pool math to get the pH down before adding chlorine.
Also don’t forget your 30ppm stabilizer in a sock 🧦 then you start SLAM Process based on 30ppm cya FC/CYA Levels
Test fc & add multiple times per day- the idea is to maintain the shock level for your cya at all times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes- put the amount PoolMath says u need to reach 30ppm in a tube sock, skimmer sock, knee high etc. Tie a knot in it & hang it in front of a return (but not touching the pool wall). Squeeze the sock every now & then until it dissolves. This gets the cya directly into the water column without trapping it in your filter or risking it bleaching your liner

I use a large clip to hold the empty end of the sock to the top rail - if placed correctly the current keeps the full part off the wall.
CEB5B832-C07C-477A-9824-76F451865ED2.jpeg

Do I just keep retesting the water and entering the log and adding what it says? I don't want to start the SLAM until the pH is right and I have CYA that registers.
Yes. As long as the FC is under 10, your PH test is valid.

But. The scale only goes to 8.2. If it’s much higher than that you don’t know how high it really is. So you adjust from 8.2 and you may only come down to 8.8 (?) and still test the exact 8.2. Perform as many rounds as needed to be back in the 7s. If it finally registers in the high 7s, Add once more for 7.2. You’ll see that one right away.

The exact same thing but in reverse…. When we moved into my house the PH was very very low. It took 3 or 4 tries to raise it enough to see it. Give it 30 minutes to mix well and test again until it’s right.

*also, Score 1 for TFP that I had to learn that the hard way when I inherited a non TFP pool. 😁

You’re in GREAT hands Athas.

As of 2:48, by Free Chlorine is 5.5, the CC is 0.5 and the pool is BRIGHT green.
at 10:23 this morning the pH was 7.5, the TA was 130, and the CYA was 35, the FC was 0.5 and the CC was 0.5.

Do I just wait a few hours and test again? How do I make it not green?

You follow the SLAM Process until you pass all 3 end of slam criteria. Test fc & add liquid chlorine every few hours to MAINTAIN Slam fc level for your cya.
Always round up to the next “10” when measuring cya so yours is 40ppm - this means you need to maintain a fc level of 16ppm. FC/CYA Levels
Every hour you fall below slam level algae wins.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.