Pool SOS

Let’s back up-
You tested at 11:15 & had 8ppm fc 👍🏻
then added 32oz of 10%? To get u to 12.5 calculated.
you didn’t test again until 3:30 so you can’t know that you ever really got to 12.5 ppm after the 11:15 dose (maybe, maybe not) so everyone is suggesting u test about 15 minutes after dosing next time to confirm that your bleach is as potent as it’s supposed to be. If its not, use more to compensate. Bleach degrades over time slowly turning to salt water, depending upon how it was stored (in the sun/heat) this can occur more quickly. When purchasing you can check the julian dates to ensure your getting the freshest possible 👍🏻
A268E00B-8818-43AF-AA8E-57F17284802B.jpeg

Reactions: Athas08 and Newdude
Let’s back up-
You tested at 11:15 & had 8ppm fc 👍🏻
then added 32oz of 10%? To get u to 12.5 calculated.
you didn’t test again until 3:30 so you can’t know that you ever really got to 12.5 ppm after the 11:15 dose (maybe, maybe not) so everyone is suggesting u test about 15 minutes after dosing next time to confirm that your bleach is as potent as it’s supposed to be. If its not, use more to compensate. Bleach degrades over time slowly turning to salt water, depending upon how it was stored (in the sun/heat) this can occur more quickly. When purchasing you can check the julian dates to ensure your getting the freshest possible 👍🏻
View attachment 359428
I'll start checking 15 minutes after. I only have dichlor right now. I'm getting liquid tomorrow. Is 15 minutes enough time for the dichlor to fully dissolve?

I'll start checking 15 minutes after. I only have dichlor right now. I'm getting liquid tomorrow. Is 15 minutes enough time for the dichlor to fully dissolve?
The suggestion is really only for liquid chlorine that you question the potency of or when performing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Dichlor really doesn’t go bad but be aware of its acidic effects on ph as well as how quickly it will raise cya. Poolmath effects of adding can help u see the full effects of each addition beforehand. Its in the hamburger menu on the left.
E912B701-9128-411A-9452-C2A8F8E13EC7.png

Reactions: Athas08
So i don't know why, but i feel very hesitant about adding household bleach instead of pool chlorine, which is bleach. But after looking at the Effects of Adding, i don't want to add anymore dichlor. It will be after 11 tomorrow before i can make it to get more liquid chlorine. Household bleach is just a lower percentage, right? As long as there aren't any additives.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Exactly. It’s usually 6 % and you have to add double the amount. It works in a pinch but is generally easily avoided with the stronger stuff.

Pool stores should be all over and at least some of them will have supplies still. Call around to save the trip if they’re out too. It may be $2 a jug more but if it’s 3 miles away and not an hour away….. it’s worth it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ugh. I forgot to do the CC test. So I went to redo the FC test and got a reading of 8. I feel like that's unlikely in the last 45 minutes.

Also the water is still blue and cloudy. I can't see the bottom.
Keep slamming.
#1 clear water
#2 CC <0.5
#3 OCLT.
You haven’t passed #1. Numbers 2 and 3 don’t even matter yet.

So I went to redo the FC test and got a reading of 8. I feel like that's unlikely in the last 45 minutes.
It’s still early in TX. Heck, in NY the sun is barely up and not hitting the pool yet at a high angle that would burn much off.

It could have easily been user error on the ‘good ‘test’. You had to make 23 absolutely perfect drops. We all have a shaky hand after 10 of them. Plus the nervousness of trying so hard to get it right can do more harm than good.
Also the water is still blue and cloudy. I can't see the bottom.
Then we continue SLAM for this alone, or for this and the probable OCLT fail

Raising the CYA also raises your 40% target, (12), using more chlorine. Keep at 30 for now and raise after.

I walked around the pool today and noticed that the bottom was dark on the far side of the pool. So of course when I vacuumed now the pool is greenish again. In full transparency, I haven't vacuumed much because I didn't want to continually be adding water to the pool because of vacuuming to waste. So here we are. I feel like this is a stupid mistake.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.