Pool Set up with a Robotic Cleaner

Billtkat

Apr 25, 2020
Oro Valley, AZ
For those that have a robot cleaner, do you set the drains up or anything else different for the flow or water ? I have a valve that controls the sweep & main drain. I have it on 50 / 50 as I do currently use a suction vac. I am thinking the sweep intake also controls the flow to the skimmer ? With getting the robot vac I will be pulling the navigator & hose and closing the cover on the plug .

Bill,

Show us some pics of your equipment pad..

Thanks,

Jim R.
I think but please confirm I might have figured this out by taking the picture. The pipe on the left has a label "Main Skimmer" the one on the right has "sweep". My thought now is the main drain and skimmer are the one line in and the skimmer was the flow from the pool suction vac that plugs into the wall to draw the suction ? That would mean the pipe on the right would only be for the suction vac which I am not sure if that is the way they are built or not -

20200522_094031A.jpg

Rich,

I can't tell from the pic. but as a start I would turn off the pipe on the right... If your skimmer continues to work, you should be good to go.

If you only have two pipes going into your pump, then one has to be the skimmer and the other your vacuum port.. Your main drain is most likely plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rich,

I can't tell from the pic. but as a start I would turn off the pipe on the right... If your skimmer continues to work, you should be good to go.

If you only have two pipes going into your pump, then one has to be the skimmer and the other your vacuum port.. Your main drain is most likely plumbed into the bottom of your skimmer..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks. I do know that below the skimmer basket and skimmer flow device below that there are 2 holes. One has good suction when on and the other not. I am thinking one is from the main drain, the other that has suction to the pump so makes sense that the main drains and the skimmer flow together
Thanks !

Rich,

Unless you have a floating diverter valve below your skimmer basket, it means your main drain is never working...

Don't feel bad, thousands and thousands of old pools have non-working main drains, and most pool owners don't even know.. :mrgreen:

Main drains are just not needed in most cases. I have two rent houses with non-working main drains and they work just as well as the pool at my house, that does have a main drain.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Rich,

Unless you have a floating diverter valve below your skimmer basket, it means your main drain is never working...

Don't feel bad, thousands and thousands of old pools have non-working main drains, and most pool owners don't even know.. :mrgreen:

Main drains are just not needed in most cases. I have two rent houses with non-working main drains and they work just as well as the pool at my house, that does have a main drain.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I do have the floating diverter under my basket. Has the tab that can cover the hole at the bottom and the disc that closes if the water level drops to diver main to pump - I know my mains work as I used them 100% when my plaster job was completed - That was the main way for several days to move the plaster dust to the filter -

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.