Pool Rx

bkbaird

Jun 9, 2020
Tucson, AZ
i've been using PoolRx since last spring with no problems. I did need to clean my filter once because the product clung heavily to the filter so, after a quick cleaning (it needed to be cleaned anyway) the Chemistry is fine. no discoloration of the pool walls, AND NO ALGAE. NONE! all you naeh sayers, if you ain't using it, you've no skin in the game and no experience other than anecdotal. I say, It works!

Reactions: KatNEvan
I've been using PoolRx since spring of 2020. No problems. No staining. No green hair. NO ALGAE!
I have high cyanuric and plan to change water later in March. But no purple staining. If you do not use the product I do not believe you had a leg to stand on but, open to learning new tricks. Bottom line, NO algae and I have struggled mightily against it for years. No more ;-)

i've been using PoolRx since last spring with no problems. I did need to clean my filter once because the product clung heavily to the filter so, after a quick cleaning (it needed to be cleaned anyway) the Chemistry is fine. no discoloration of the pool walls, AND NO ALGAE. NONE! all you naeh sayers, if you ain't using it, you've no skin in the game and no experience other than anecdotal. I say, It works!

Welcome to TFP.

Get back to us after a few seasons of use when you have copper stains on your pool and blonde hair turning green.

You don’t know what you don’t know. Hang around here and you can learn. It is just science.

I am glad you have not had problems with staining of the pool or hair yet. If you look at the long term users of it or other products that have metal in them you will see it is only a matter of time. It does not happen over night. Chlorine is a MUCH better way to combat algae.

Kim TFP MOD

Reactions: thefloatqueen
all you naeh sayers, if you ain't using it, you've no skin in the game and no experience other than anecdotal. I say, It works!
Well, welcome to the forum. It's spelled "naysayer" for the record.

We seem to have very different takes on "experience". I say that if you are using a product then you have skin in the game and thus are not impartial. You have invested in something and therefore want to believe it works. I, on the other hand, understand water chemistry. I know what is in PoolRx, I know what it does and why it does it and would not use it because of that knowledge. Can you tell me why it does what it does? Or is this a situation exactly like the one I described further back in this conversation?

I'm going to be extremely straight with you: I don't care if you say it works. I care about chemistry, I care about numbers, I don't care about personal reviews. You've provided no chemistry numbers ("fine" is a state of mind, not data) and you've provided no reason to back up your opinions on the product. This isn't a "take my word for it" kind of place, if you haven't noticed.

And as for your opinions, let me throw this one at you: I've been using TFP and ZERO copper for the past 11 years and have had no problems and no algae. "NONE!" Perhaps you call that anecdotal, but I have the numbers to show why it works so well. If you feel that we should put your months of experience above the collective centuries of experience of the users of this forum then you're going to have to offer a really good reason.

Please provide a full set of test results from one of the recommended test kits - Test Kits Compared
Do you keep your FC in line with the recomended amounts shown here - FC/CYA Levels

We don't need "skin in the game" to know that metals in pool water is not a good thing. As for "no experience", there are 100's (maybe 1000's) of members who have had metals in their pool water with very poor results.

I'm really glad you like Pool Rx. But, that you post the same exact thing to two different posts within minutes of each other speaks volumes.

Your post to Trouble Free Pool was moved to our Agree to Disagree forum. Obviously what at we teach is very different from what you believe.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that we advocate that every pool owner buy and use an accurate test kit.

Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide. Our goal is to teach pool owners what has been proven to work time and time again and then let them use that information to their benefit.

You may or may not agree with what we teach, nor choose to advocate these methods, that is your choice. But, what we teach is documented in our

Pool School.

We generally suggest new members start with these three articles:

We invite you to participate, but continuing to go around the forum trying to sell people on what we consider an unnecessary product will just cause frustration.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
guess, I'm being schooled at Pool School :oops: I shall run some test and get back atcha

Kudos to you for being willing to learn. Looking forward to seeing your numbers and helping you to manage your pool in an easy, safe and based-on-science way!

So..Information is your friend..
I could not find the SDS on their website but a simple google search turned up this:
and that says it has 35-50% Copper Sulfate, 30-45% water plus other stuff. The chelating agent is proprietary, so who know what that is. One of the philosophies of this site is to know what you are putting in your pool. And they don't want to tell you. The FAQ on the website is instructional

-"7. Can I test for the PoolRx minerals in the water?-No. The minerals are uniquely chelated. This is one of the things that sets us apart from other copper-based products."... In other words, We don't want you to know what you are putting in your pool, except for the copper.

-"8. Can I use other copper-based products, with PoolRx? No, Do not use other copper based products with PoolRx. (You won’t need to, but more importantly, you don’t want to saturate the water)"...Oh, I can't put somebody else's copper in my pool, I can only put YOUR copper in my pool. Got it. And in some round about way they say too much copper is bad, I guess.

-"PoolRX contains a proprietary blend of minerals that continuously and effectively eliminate algae " That doesn't tell me what it is. I have a proprietary blend of minerals in my back yard, its called dirt.

-"16. What type of chlorine can I use? All types of chlorine are compatible with PoolRx " -I think they mean "chlorine products"... because chlorine is chlorine. All day long we tell people that an SWG puts the same kind of chlorine in your water as a liquid chlorine. The method of delivery is different. And with that method of delivery are by-products that you should know about. But that statement just made me wrinkle my "knows".

So @bkbaird we are all about education.. if there is a better way, we are all ears. And trust us, that "way" will get dissected and analyzed here.

I know i need to dump, refresh the water.
the numbers k-2006 kit
FC 4.6, CC 0, Ph 7.6, tot akalinity 190, hardness 950, cya 0 (huh), water temp 60, calcd csi 0.660 shrug?
Many folks show up here feeling that there is a normal amount of time when the water needs to be replaced. Like the sand in a sand filter, water never wears out. Now, in your area of the country water tends to have high calcium, so that builds up and is usually the determining factor in when a water replacement is needed. Many that follow our methods are able to control scale with CH close to 2,000 so you rally are not in an emergency to replace water at this point.

Take a water sample out of the hose you use to fill your pool and check CH & TA. Let's see what you are adding when you add water.

Confusing is your CYA of "0". What do you use to chlorinate your pool?

Also, it appears you are using 25 mL sample for 0.2 ppm accuracy. You can go ahead and use 10 mL sample for 0.5 ppm accuracy. It will save you reagents and other than during a SLAM is close enough for us.

I'll be driving in my motorhome for the next couple of days, so I probably won't check in except for evenings. Others around here are a friendly group and will jump in to help.

Now for the minor stuff that helps us answer questions.

Please add your test kit and method of chlorination to your signature. I now see you have a K-2006, but a fe answers down that won't be obvious.

Next, when posting test results, it kind of runs together in a line. It's easier to read this way-

FC 4.6
pH 7.6
TA 190
CH 950
CYA 0

Many folks show up here feeling that there is a normal amount of time when the water needs to be replaced. Like the sand in a sand filter, water never wears out. Now, in your area of the country water tends to have high calcium, so that builds up and is usually the determining factor in when a water replacement is needed. Many that follow our methods are able to control scale with CH close to 2,000 so you rally are not in an emergency to replace water at this point.

Hi, Tim... I think the OP is talking about replacing the water because she has been using Poolrx (which contains copper) for several months.

Where to begin

no, I'm good with PoolRx for the moment, thanks.
Glad it's working for you. Hopefully you will glean some information available here. There are a LOT of users who SWEAR by TFP methods, but not too many PoolRx folks....and to me...that speaks volumes.

Last edited:
Reactions: thefloatqueen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.