St. Louis, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi, I have a couple active posts regarding my DIY equipment and plumbing install. Meanwhile I had attempted to contact one contractor and have successfully contacted another regarding major liner/deck/steps/underground plumbing repairs. It is going to be a good chunk of change; I'm expecting this and have budgeted for it. The two contractors I chose seem to have the best reviews and purportedly best quality/capability that I can find in the area. I looked into other recommendations as well but decided on these two. The "best" one has not replied to my direct call, email, or Home Advisor call service request. Unbelievable, except sadly it isn't. I'm used to this in other areas of contractor specialty.

My second choice did reply. He came out when stated and seemed competent in his recommendations. His truck was clean/new, he was well presented and polite... everything seemed fine. He sent a concrete subcontractor out within the specified time to get quotes for that portion of the renovations. Everything seemed OK. I received an email bid a little later than I had hoped or was suggested it would be ready (18 days after concrete guy came out), but OK. I quickly replied with a couple questions about some details (it gets complicated with the options and "if you do this, then..." scenarios). 11 days later I had not received a reply. I called specifically that day because it was raining and he said he hadn't got to his emails yet. What??? Come on. OK. So I asked the same questions he should have already read. He said he'd have an answer about the revised subcontractor items over the weekend. That didn't happen. I texted the next time it rained a few days after I should have seen a revised quote, asking if there was any update. He said he was just about to talk to the concrete guy. Now I'm seeing a pattern of "I was just going to do that".

It's been one week since then and no updated contract. The original plan was that I'd like to go forward ASAP and at the time June was open, which works out OK. Much later than that, adding in legitimate time lost to unforeseen problems and weather and it might be too late for the swimming season. I can deal with that but this simple bid process feels like it's been going on too long.

In your experience, does it sound like he just doesn't want to do the work? I don't understand why this has to be difficult. He'll be making good money on this job. He is not cheap. I think I'm reasonable and understand what he's saying both technically and about limitations/expectations. Unless he doesn't feel I'm reasonable for whatever reason. Who knows. I just don't get this. If I contact him a third time "I'm pushy" or whatever, but what can I do? I made it clear that I'm not competing for bids, and I offered very sincerely to pay full hourly rate and mileage for his estimate but he declined.

Venting... but any words of wisdom? Thanks.

Problem is, most contractors are going full speed at this time of year. If you can, you might be better off to do the work in the fall where you might get a better deal. If anything, they’ll at least be able to give your project the attention it deserves. :cheers:

Reactions: tspenard
I don't think he doesn't want the job. But he's also not being transparent (that's an ideal we all like but in reality often doesn't occur). He can't handle the job now but doesn't want to say it. So you are left to decide if you continue to push him for replies and a spot in line (with likely continued delays), or take it as a sign that his interactions (or lack thereof) are a red flag for you to not use him. Tough call. But pool building and renovations are a short season in MO and it's prime time as Rob discussed.

Reactions: tspenard
Thanks, guys. First world problems, I know. It is tough though, expecting to pay a lot of money for something and not having your professional initiate or follow up on progress. If this was the first time a contractor did this I might not be so jaded. I was hoping that as I got older and moved from a starter home to a nicer home it would signal that I'm a serious customer, not a consumer (of time).

Your thinking logically and it's frustrating. But as said it's a short season and hea probably got his plate full already and is stalling to buy time. It's a pain when you have cash in hand and are trying to give somebody good money for work and they just drag on it. Makes you wonder lol

cash in hand is just an expression; meet him with cash/funds in hand for real & things will move.

There is no time for “what if’s” now; I don’t give free estimates during peek production, but I have the rep & referrals to back up paid estimates.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been busy. Every competent contractor should charge for a proper estimate and consultation. The problem is that virtually no one does. It's a bit like tipping in the service industry, restaurants and other businesses allow customers to pay their employee wages and hardly anyone bucks the trend.

I offered to pay for an estimate and as always got glad-handed i.e. "oh, we don't charge for estimates" like that's a good thing.

Anyway to your point about cash in hand, I can't give him money any more than the 25% down check I mailed as soon as I got the amended proposal. It has not been cashed. He has not contacted me. So I guess I'll just wait until either the check is cashed or it turns to dust. All it would take is a call to let me know when he's scheduled to start and I would be happy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.